Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did he win?

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 4:49pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read n00b. He isn't fighting until the start of June.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 5:46pm

Style: Akayama Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_cage View Post
    Yep- just post the vid.

I was just tryin to make you aware that with your stated level of JJ and zero striking and not terribly pedigreed in grappling . . .. it is not likely at ALL that you will dominate the fight- nor be able to submit. (i would say be aware the average amateur mma guy BY HIS FIRST FIGHT will know = to you in bjj. He will also be competent at striking and takedowns having focussed on them.)

You arent one of those people that thinks you'd be able to submit someone like Chael Sonnen are you?? Because even the guys that make a carreer-act out of being 'bad at submissions' are FAR above a blue belt level . .. just sayin.

I would say work on striking till you can survive/compete in a kickboxing match.
    Then add ground and fight dozens of mma guys in several different gyms training.

I would predict; getting your face/legs smooshed> which forces you to TRY and shoot takedowns> followed by getting more frustrated and repeat.

Once again> a blue belt + decent muay thai+ decent wrestling+ AMAZING cardio and fitness and training = prepared to START amateur mma.

A blue belt does not = getting subs like Renzo and BJ Penn. . .. it usually equals getting your face smashed standing- then submitted ANYWAY when you get tired/hurt.

(ever seen a rear-naked choke in an mma event? its 99% of the time caused by the fighter being too tired and quits and lets the choke in- or he gets hurt and scared and gives up the sub to get out of the fight.)

Sorry I missed you guys post. These past few days have been hectic.
    I will just say this... I think you are mistaking me for a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioner.
    There is striking at my school, it's just that our philosophy and mind set isn't to stand and bang with you. The striking is used to open up our opponent and we also learn to defend against strikes. I don't know if you missed me saying this, but one of the guys in my dojo is 6'5 260lbs and hes a previous golden gloves boxer. I have been working against him. I've been doing very good at getting comfortable at getting through the strikes. And he actually trains with me and knows how I fight. Btw for the record I rarely go for a double leg or single leg. Those are pretty much "oh ****" moves for me.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_cage View Post
    OOOOOH! and one other thing . . . im saying all this because- (coming from wrestling my whole life- and then training bjj) i thought EXACTLY along the lines of how you [seem] to be thinking.
    > i have since VERY PAINFULLY learned that ignoring a poor skill set (such as striking) will never give your grappling strength. (in the mma-sense).

-also> nothing is lost from getting better at striking first.
    (but personally- getting THUMPED because i ignored working on my shitty standup and trying to play to takedowns and ground game made me hit a HUGE training 'rut' that took a long time to mentally pull out of [especially with the confidence you express about yourself/ i had about myself]
    All this is why I am telling you that I am working with a BB Tae Kwon Do instructor and previous Golden Gloves boxer who is bigger than me by 100lbs almost.

I am not just working with another primary grappler and telling him to strike at me. I didn't have the confidence at first that you speak of. I was scared I would get shut down on entrance, but after working with very good strikers. I have learned that I can trust my schools technique. And yeah I have learned a bit of boxing/muay thai/tae kwon do in the process of learning their techniques to defend against them. I am lucky to have guys in my dojo who have competed in striking arts at a high level before they decided to find their home with our school of Jujutsu. I have learned throughout my experience to trust in my schools technique.
    Last edited by Jujutsuka desu; 5/28/2012 6:17pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 5:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omoplatypus View Post
    if you had a corner man who had been in the same room as a combat sportsman's jock strap, you wouldn't be asking this question:

and no, i don't decide anything for the MMA community. i'm not dana white. i'm not even the ruskie mobsters running M1 global. i'm just a guy with years of experience with this sport. you're the penis breathed mouth breather that was asking about what kind of gear to get for an MMA fight.
    Blah Blah Blah, You are just bored and feel like taking your boredom out on me.
    I think it was a legit question, but I was already informed. Have you been keeping up with the discussion before posting?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 5:52pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujutsuka desu View Post
    Sorry I missed you guys post. These past few days have been hectic.
    I will just say this... I think you are mistaking me for a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioner.
    No, no one is mistaking your for that at all. People are warning you to be careful. The fact you got "BJJ practitioner" out of that post is really sad.

Blah Blah Blah, You are just bored and feel like taking your boredom out on me.
    I think it was a legit question, but I was already informed. Have you been keeping up with the discussion before posting?
    When you get videos and his proof of competition record then you can "blah blah blah."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 5:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Read n00b. He isn't fighting until the start of June.
    Actually I might have to jump in another fight rather than the one happening this weekend. I was told today that I needed to get bloodwork done by Wednesday and it was going to be $100. Apparently I can't use any doctor, and the doctor they require me to get bloodwork done by... Won't do insurance.
    I don't have $100 on such short notice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 5:54pm

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good to know.

For the record- no- i assumed you would be coming from a JJ school that does some striking . .. but that merely highlights my point- IF YOU CANNOT WIN/COMPETE FOR MMA LENGHT ROUNDS KICKBOXING- MMA IS NOT FOR YOU YET. (once again- you get MORE respect if you do- its just not adviseable)

"There is striking at my school, it's just that our philosophy and mind set isn't to stand and bang with you. The striking is used to open up our opponent and we also learn to defend against strikes."> PERFECT- those are great things- and considering you competed at a bjj tourney and a judo one- the grappling seems to be more than proficient.

I just think its a BAD theory to say- we do striking A BIT (and i mean ZERO offense . . . but i would imagine its MUCH less technically sound then straight boxing- yes?) > therefor i am ready to fight with no holds kickboxing WHILE doing my grappling. (i would STRONGLY suggest do PURE boxing/kickboxing/muaythai for a while until you are competent in that area by itself- THEN start combining striking and grappling and start competing.)

OOOOOH! and one other thing . . . im saying all this because- (coming from wrestling my whole life- and then training bjj) i thought EXACTLY along the lines of how you [seem] to be thinking.
    > i have since VERY PAINFULLY learned that ignoring a poor skill set (such as striking) will never give your grappling strength. (in the mma-sense).

-also> nothing is lost from getting better at striking first.
    (but personally- getting THUMPED because i ignored working on my shitty standup and trying to play to takedowns and ground game made me hit a HUGE training 'rut' that took a long time to mentally pull out of [especially with the confidence you express about yourself/ i had about myself]
    Last edited by johnny_cage; 5/28/2012 6:02pm at . Reason: background.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 5:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, no one is mistaking your for that at all. People are warning you to be careful. The fact you got "BJJ practitioner" out of that post is really sad.
    I don't think so. He seems to think I shoot for leg attacks. Which is common of BJJ practitioners. And assumes there isn't any striking in my school(I guess because I said Jujutsu) although striking is apart of Jujutsu. But usually no striking is a trademark of BJJ(although there are BJJ schools with striking).

Anyways yeah I think he was assuming BJJ or a BJJ branched school.

"When you get videos and his proof of competition record then you can "blah blah blah."

Why do I need that to Blah Blah Blah?
    Last edited by Jujutsuka desu; 5/28/2012 6:01pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 6:01pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think so. He seems to think I shoot for leg attacks. Which is common of BJJ practitioners. And assumes there isn't any striking in my school(I guess because I said Jujutsu) although striking is apart of Jujutsu. But usually no striking is a trademark of BJJ(although there are BJJ schools with striking).

Anyways yeah I think he was assuming BJJ or a BJJ branched school.
    Well, you assumed wrong.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 6:05pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why do I need that to Blah Blah Blah?
    You are reinforcing all the "stereotypes" associated with TMA like JJJ.

You know, speaking from ignorance like an authority. Telling people to shut-up who have competed in MMA, kickboxing, judo competitions is quite ignorant. Especially, when your comments are based on a single Judo comp appears quite silly.
    Still, please continue........in YMAS.
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast