Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182425262728 29303132 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 1:00am

Style: Parkour and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good job stepping up. Good job owning up. Check out that gym; you'll only get better as a fighter. And good job sticking with what you love. You never know, though. You might love MMA even more once you get adequate training.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 1:15am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omoplatypus View Post
    actually, as far as NAGA is concerned, he could sign up for any division he wanted to. as soon as he medals in a division, he's stuck there until he moves up though.

with IBJJF, as long as he's getting gold medals, he's moving up in divisions. 3 guys i used to train with are blue belts fighting in purple/advanced no gi divisions in naga and ibjjf because of previous gold medals.
    this is not true for IBJJF. IBJJF only bumps you up if you win the mundials at the same belt 2 times. fact, it's rare, but is considered as a promotion by the ibjjf. Can't think of anyone who has ever done that and not been promoted by their coach though. usually one mundial gold gets you a new belt, but Alliance is known for making their guys take another swing if it's their first year when they win.
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 1:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujutsuka desu View Post
    Hey Folks, sorry I am late.

Well I am sorry to announce that I lost in the 2nd round. I learned a lot and this was a lot more overwhelming than I thought. The walk out music, the crowd, and just the overall setup. I felt like I was in a Vegas concert and I was on stage. Anywho the film I got my g/f used her phone instead of getting camera out the car ::facepalm:: so it's pretty useless unless you want to see movable objects in the distance inclosed in a cage. I did learn that MMA is a type of fighting in its own right. And that even the things down to not being used to fighting with gloves over handwrapping makes a big difference. Which I had to learn the hardway. lol I think that scene has been replaying in my head all weekend. I essentially had the man in "side control" and I was going for my bread and butter technique which is ude garami "Americana." I maintained very good top control keeping him definitely pinned underneath me. And I I pinned the arm down. Now I went to slide my hand underneath his arm to complete the technique. I was thinking at this point "another day of ude garami" and all of a sudden that hand came to a stop. And I thought "what did I do wrong" then I actually looked and saw my glove was too big to fit under the space of his arm. So I struggled to get my hand under without giving him room to slip out. And... he slipped out and I never was able to reach my forearm... Shortly after the round had ended.

Next round he got my back. I survived his chokes until he finally applied a jaw crank... at which I had no choice but to tap. As it wasn't worth getting my jaw broken. I was told that he was a striker and the school he comes from produces strikers. I could tell he was a very strong wrestler background.

Anyways I left out a lot of what really happened. But the biggest thing is... I learned that MMA is really hard to step into. Even if you are strong martial artist. The environment itself is overwhelming and the gear is different than what I am used to training in and training to fight within a ruleset so you are comfortable.

I hope to get a rematch because I know I can beat the guy easily... I just wasn't in my free flowing mind like I usually am. As soon as I got in the cage and there was all the people around me and announcers and hott cage girls(mind you). I just felt out of place. I think I'm going to take two months off before taking another fight. Now that I dipped my feet into this new world. I think I will be more comfortable next time.

Thanks folks, appears a lot of you were right.
    Glad you had a good experience. I know he felt like a wrestler to you, but wrestling is a huge part of MMA training and that feel was most likely from the different training he has done in his gym, not a wrestling background since most schools in this area do not offer wrestling. it's a major advantage to train in an MMA gym and fight someone who doesn't, and that is what many here were talking about. imagine what you can do with this advantage.
    Last edited by M-Tri; 6/05/2012 1:30am at .
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

facebook.com/ABMMA

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 1:52am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri View Post
    this is not true for IBJJF. IBJJF only bumps you up if you win the mundials at the same belt 2 times. fact, it's rare, but is considered as a promotion by the ibjjf. Can't think of anyone who has ever done that and not been promoted by their coach though. usually one mundial gold gets you a new belt, but Alliance is known for making their guys take another swing if it's their first year when they win.
    i'll trust you on it, but i know 3 people who are all fighting purple belt divisions as blue belts.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 11:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omoplatypus View Post
    i'll trust you on it, but i know 3 people who are all fighting purple belt divisions as blue belts.
    probably in NAGA. In NAGA they do bump you up once you win. It's stupid because I won my first NAGA at blue belt my second time competing at blue belt then they told me I had to compete at purple, but no other tournaments allow that. NAGA has a very odd way of doing things compared to other organizations.

In IBJJF you must compete at your belt level, and it's disrespectful to do anything else.

facebook.com/ABMMA

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri View Post
    probably in NAGA. In NAGA they do bump you up once you win. It's stupid because I won my first NAGA at blue belt my second time competing at blue belt then they told me I had to compete at purple, but no other tournaments allow that. NAGA has a very odd way of doing things compared to other organizations.

In IBJJF you must compete at your belt level, and it's disrespectful to do anything else.
    This is correct. In NAGA I would compete as a purple while still a blue. It was OK.

In IBJJF you must compete at your belt level. Now for Brown and Black you must be registered in order to compete.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 2:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if sexy chocolate says it, then maybe I'm wrong about them competing in IBJJF tournies. Maybe its tournies with that rule set and not official IBJJF.

Sent from Pluto to Uranus; using Tapatalk2
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 10:36pm

Style: Akayama Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to bring this thread back, BUT I went to the MMA gym owned by the guy who is managing my fights. I was told that he can make a rematch happen.

So yeah I am stoked. Really am.
    I am going to give it two months and I am going to revisit the cage to fight again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 10:46pm

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to bring this thread back, BUT I went to the MMA gym owned by the guy who is managing my fights. I was told that he can make a rematch happen.

I am going to give it two months and I am going to revisit the cage to fight again.
    cool
    you should ask if you can work with them to improve your wrestling and striking.
    your opponent will only improve as well

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 10:49pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why do you want a rematch? Why not just train hard, get solid mma training and fight whoever is available for a fight when you are ready? This sounds like an ego thing.
Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182425262728 29303132 ... LastLast