Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2012 11:54am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Screw carbs. Fats are your friend for weight gain (especially if you're diabetic). If you're concerned about health, "good" fats like nuts, avocados, olive oil, fatty fish, etc. are particularly useful. Type 1 or Type 2 diabetic -- insulin-dependent or not? Also, a general rule, try to eat the carbs around exercise time--your body like carbs then and may actually help control your blood sugar.

A good place for bulking information is this thread: http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_onl...AB-mcd01.hydra

Scroll down to the collection of articles by Phil dated 08-18-2004, 02:16 AM

I know where you are--you're new to this and you don't know what you don't know and you're trying to feel your way. Full disclosure: I've never had trouble gaining weight--just the opposite really--so I'm not really one to give diet advice for bulking.
    I'm type 1: Insulin dependent.

I eat around 30g of fats everyday. (from peanuts, fish etc.)

Ooooh thanks mate, I'm reading stuff as I write this.

How come you know about diabetes?

Posted On:
    5/22/2012 10:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a fan of holding the bar like you do as it keeps your elbows down and puts pressure on your wrists especially as you increase in weight. IMO, I like to hold the bar on the top of the pecs. You'll want to use a squat rack like you would normally do a back squat. Put your arms out like a sleep walk and then put your right hand on your left pec and then put your left hand on your right pec. Your forearms will cross like an X and your arms will be in a M shape. You then go under the bar and then rest the bar ontop of your pec right below your neck. You will have to keep your elbows up or you will dump the weight. You also can't lean forward or you will dump the weight. The high elbows force a more upright posture.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    5/22/2012 11:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hydepark View Post
    I'm not a fan of holding the bar like you do as it keeps your elbows down and puts pressure on your wrists especially as you increase in weight.
    Not if you do it right.

---

Lindz, here are the promised pictures.

Shoulders back (BAD)

Shoulders forward (BETTER)

The pipe is in the same place and my back is at the same angle, but my elbows are higher and my wrists are less flexed.

If there was weight on the barbell, it'd have gone from resting on my wrists to resting on my shoulders, which is a Good Thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    5/23/2012 3:35pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hydepark View Post
    I'm not a fan of holding the bar like you do as it keeps your elbows down and puts pressure on your wrists especially as you increase in weight. IMO, I like to hold the bar on the top of the pecs. You'll want to use a squat rack like you would normally do a back squat. Put your arms out like a sleep walk and then put your right hand on your left pec and then put your left hand on your right pec. Your forearms will cross like an X and your arms will be in a M shape. You then go under the bar and then rest the bar ontop of your pec right below your neck. You will have to keep your elbows up or you will dump the weight. You also can't lean forward or you will dump the weight. The high elbows force a more upright posture.
    That's cross-armed grip is usually called a bodybuilder-style front squat. It's okay, but not the most stable position. Watch the video I posted.

If you feel like you're holding the weight with your hands, you're doing it wrong. Your body holds the weight--like a back squat. There's a groove across your deltoids and neck where the bar will fit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2012 4:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Not if you do it right.

---

Lindz, here are the promised pictures.

Shoulders back (BAD)

Shoulders forward (BETTER)

The pipe is in the same place and my back is at the same angle, but my elbows are higher and my wrists are less flexed.

If there was weight on the barbell, it'd have gone from resting on my wrists to resting on my shoulders, which is a Good Thing.
    Hey thanks for taking the time to take pictures mate, very informative.

I think I was closer to the wrong picture than the right one.

I'll work on this. It's okay to widen my grip to make having my elbows up a little easier, right?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    5/26/2012 12:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Hey thanks for taking the time to take pictures mate, very informative.

I think I was closer to the wrong picture than the right one.

I'll work on this. It's okay to widen my grip to make having my elbows up a little easier, right?
    You can grip the bar a few inches outside your shoulders, but your best bet to improve elbow position is to work lat mobility.
    Last edited by TheRuss; 5/26/2012 12:50am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 7:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    use a narrower stance with your toes pointed forward more. the wider stance of a back squat drives your upper body forward. in a front squat you cannot do this obviously.

also, you posted you eat 30g fats and about 450g protein/carbs a day. thats about 2,000 calories a day, not nearly enough.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 10:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1 View Post
    use a narrower stance with your toes pointed forward more. the wider stance of a back squat drives your upper body forward. in a front squat you cannot do this obviously.
    I'll try that. I still can't front squat properly, and the 5RM weight is like 60% of my 5RM back squat.

Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1 View Post
    also, you posted you eat 30g fats and about 450g protein/carbs a day. thats about 2,000 calories a day, not nearly enough.
    I increased my fat intake to a little more than double. Around 67g

225 grams of carbohydrates now minimum (it used to be if I'm lucky lol), and 200-250 grams of protein for now.

This is triple was I used to eat or something, I'm trying to make the increase in weight gradual so I don't gain fat, I read that somewhere.

Or something...

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    6/07/2012 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, def use the narrow stance, but the biggest thing is toes forward and knees forward. In a powerlifting style back squat you push your knees out (like when you use on hip abductor machine).
    In a front squat, you do not push them in or out, just leave them straight ahead.

Also from what I gather you are still under 3000 calories. Do you really measure everything out and then call it a day? If you can afford to eat more (and trust me ive been there where you can't), eat as much as you feel you need instinctively, but track the calories for a few days. That will get you to a more natural calorie point for you. Because how the hell can you just pick out a number and say "oh i need this many calories"

Youre a tall dude from what ive seen, add weights and i assume martial arts, and you need more. You may not wittle away to nothing with less, or with your current level, but you won't gain as fast. How much and how often are you adding?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2012 1:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With the front squat, if my toes are pointed forward and my stance is narrow, can I go deep? I have to try that.

I don't really know how much to add and when to add it, if you have any suggestions, please tell me.

My problem is that I'm diabetic so it would be hard for me to follow a 4 meal plan. There's the duration of each insulin shot to take into consideration and if they overlap...

This is why I'm reluctant to eat more than what I am.

But really I feel like I eat too much as it is now with only 3 meals I have to stuff down 75g of carbs and protein every meal or something. The only thing I can add freely to my diet is fat.

And I heard that fat is good but too much fat as a percentage of my total calories is not good. (I don't know if that's true, everybody seems to be saying different things, I don't know what's right anymore)

You see my dilemma mate? lol, my plan is to go with my current intake for a month and see if I gain weight, so far I've gained 1kilogram.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast