Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 3:25am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    The OP may also want to rethink their diet as a whole. Hypoglycemia would scare me away from recommending anything aggressive like low-carb, but getting most of his carbs in the form of frequent small doses of soluble fibre and amylose (taken together, and preferably with some protein and fat) rather than amylopectin and/or sugars should help smooth out the highs and lows.
    I have no idea what you just said

Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    That's why I asked what he ment by real really low? Hell, he's probably at 100mg/dl and thinking that's low.
    I'm in the UK and think we have different measurement scales, It was 2.1 on the little machine.

I've had 2 sessions since with some oats and bananna's in me and am holding around the 7ish mark

Thanks for the all responses, but I think it just comes down to rolling off the couch after 18 months of xbox, rocking up to a gym at a time i've not seen for over a decade and doing too much. I get checked out once a year and aside from being about 30lbs over weight, bad back and shoulder all is well

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 3:34am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    Also, did you see any flashes of light, or things twinkling in your visual field (it's not particularly important, but I would like to know... You know, that kind of **** gets me excited...sexually).
    Slight twinkling, more like blurred tunnel vision, then when I was on my back tunnel was getting darker and darker and then I was out....... Did that do it for you?

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 8:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience, this won't just happen to fat, lazy slobs that haven't worked out in awhile. Sometimes we just do stuff wrong.

I take BJJ classes at noon during the week. When I started, I was also running ~5 miles 2-3 times a week, playing basketball regularly, and taking TKD in the evening 3-4 times a week. I did all of those things after a meal or a snack.

When I first started BJJ, I went on a completely empty stomach. After the first couple of classes were over, I dry heaved in the bathroom for like 10 minutes and I wasn't out of shape, I just wasn't prepared. I started drinking a protein shake and a shot of Gatorade and haven't had an issue since.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 10:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superangryfish View Post
    I have no idea what you just said
    Eat in a way that keeps your blood sugar stable. Look up the words for details on how to do it. Oats are a decent start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
  5. armchairwarrior

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 6:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few years ago I thought I was getting low blood sugar after working out. Got bloodwork from doctor and was told that what I was experiencing was not low blood sugar, but an imbalance of potassium and other minerals. At the time I was eating mostly carbs for breakfast-oatmeal and coffee. I need protein-either eggs or cheese or some thing to balance things out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 6:01pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My personal record was 22mg/dl.

Beat that.

I still didn't pass out too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2012 11:11am

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. When I had my blood tested at the hospital I was up to 30mmol and still totally conscious, all though I drank 7 pints of water and was still thirsty as hell.

What pissed me off more was that I no fatty and I've still got diabetes and will be stuck with the fucker for the rest of my life.

Hypos are horrible but I know when there about to start, my legs shake first then the shaking works it's way up through my body then I start to sweat loads the lowest I've got so far was 3.2 mmol and I thought I was going to pass out. I always carry some lucozade or glucose tablets around with me just incase of low blood sugar levels.

Poached eggs on brown bread works well for me for breakfast but I can tweak my insulin dosage if I need
    Last edited by adskibullus; 8/04/2012 11:15am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2012 5:33pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't sweat it mate I've had it for 10 years you'll get used to it, it ain't that bad.

One of the good things about it is that it cleans up your diet, and makes you much more aware of what you eat, it's healthy if you give a ****.

You have a hard time as a diabetic athlete that's for sure but you adapt with some experimentation.

When I was first diagnosed I was like 800mg/dl (so I was told) at first I couldn't walk then I was way off to a coma, don't remember ****.

It's good that you got it under control early, I hope you have a good doctor.

After a while you really won't need one anymore and it will be part of your daily routine.

It's honestly not that bad, good luck mate.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12