Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 1:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

T'ai Chi to Jiu Jitsu? (w/ important disclaimer)

Okay, I'm really nervous and don't want to step on any toes, so here's the disclaimer: Whatever its merits, I do not practice T'ai Chi as either a martial art or a mystical meditation. For me it's learning to stand and move in a way that protects the joints and relieves strain on the muscles. I'm not going to advocate this position or argue its merits.

However, I've recently started training in BJJ, and as a white belt rolling with other white belts, I've been pleasantly surprised to learn that my t'ai chi practice is giving me a leg up over the other learners.

My question is this: Where can I go or what can I study that would help me explore this link between t'ai chi and BJJ? I enjoy both of these hobbies on their own merits, but if one can give me a leg up on the other I want to pursue that.

Is that too vague? I'm not very good at T'ai Chi and a complete newbie to BJJ and I don't want to get into making claims I can't support.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 2:16pm

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find a friend and spar with him/her/it/them.

At one point my JKD instructor was teaching an hour of Tai Chi before our JKD class and a lot of the stuff we learned in Tai Chi sort of naturally found its way into our sparring.

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 2:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tim Cartmell is the first guy that comes to mind.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=57542&page=1

(edit: ...not to take anything away from bullshido poster Jack Rusher, who probably has a bit to share.)
    Last edited by ChenPengFi; 5/13/2012 2:50pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 2:51pm

Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do muay thai and we've been practicing tai Chi once a week or so for balance and breath control. I'm a little skeptically but I have trouble with balance so I hope it helps! Its probably best to see if any of your bjj instructors or senior students also practice.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Link to Tim Cartmell seconded, but it doesn't sound like you're practising the kind of Tai Chi that would be recognisable as a martial art, so much of what he has to say might just be confusing for you.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wu style taijiquan historically has a big wrestling component. The Wu family were Manchu and it was their national sport (that and conquering China). It isn't easy finding an instructor though. The only one I know who actually teaches all out wrestling any more is Tony Chan in Hong Kong.

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another person who might be worth seeking out is Josh Waitzkin. He's a young chessmaster ( Searching for Bobby Fischer) who became a taiji push-hands champ and is now a BJJ black belt. He teaches in NYC. I doubt he sneaks all that much formal taiji into BJJ, but might have some interesting things to share with the right person. Whether you, a beginner in both arts, are the right person, remains to be seen.

I'd recommend just continue doing and enjoying both right now, and see what you come up with.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 3:22pm

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Link to Tim Cartmel thirded.

I would also like to add this to your food for thought.

Josh Waitzkin is a former world Tai Chi champ and now holds a brown belt under Marcelo Garcia.

*EDIT - He holds a Black now...? Nice one Josh!
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
    Wu style taijiquan historically has a big wrestling component. The Wu family were Manchu and it was their national sport (that and conquering China). It isn't easy finding an instructor though. The only one I know who actually teaches all out wrestling any more is Tony Chan in Hong Kong.
    The type of Tai Chi I practice comes from Chen Tin Hung, who was, for a time, a practitioner of Wu Style Tai Chi. His students wrestled and sparred with hard contact and most of them taught their students to do the same.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 4:40pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the support, guys. I'll definitely be following up on this stuff. That interview was great, it confirmed a lot of stuff I'd been suspecting.

lordbd: If you want balance, you're in a good place for it. I've frustrated several students with my refusal to fall over because of a buck or a take down. (Although: White belt on white belt)

A good teacher is important. I'd say the first test for your teacher is whether he's shown you how to unlock your hips. Or at least, I'm assuming that's your problem, since I've seen a lot of students float through my school and it's the first thing my teacher does with all of them.

And you have a right to be skeptical. There are a few things my teacher says that I still roll my eyes on, but I have bad hips and he's so much cheaper than a physical therapist.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast