My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 4:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Having a bit of a think and I'm struggling to remember a time I've thrown someone in randori or contest that wasn't from a static or basically static situation. Then again that's heavyweight Judo for you isn't it. Plod about abit, stop, attempt throw, plod some more, stop, attempt throw, plod...
    Sure, depends on the situation. I've used it statically more or less and with varying degrees of movement. I tend to emphasize movement a lot, so go figure. Hiza Guruma and Sasae get used as weak side attacks (left throw from right grip/vice versa), and kenka yotsu. You can use them to get people moving a bit as well (to get T-ed up, for example), etc.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 6:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Interesting- I have been taught and use sasae in an entirely different way. Sasae is not a throw I normally do from extreme ai yotsu--it's usually kenka yotsu and always lapel-side sasae as I'm moving around uke to the right (I'm lefty). My coach teaches sasae (or a sasae-like motion without actually propping the leg) as the intro to many combinations (sasae-ouchi-uchi mata, sasae-ko uch-tai otoshi, sasae-osoto gari, etc.).
    I do also use movement to transition into the offset position a bit like you describe. I don't just do it from a really extreme stance and when I do do it from an extreme stance its generally more the 'European' style of extreme stance with arms outstretched rather than the 'Japanese' style of very tight upper body contact with heads almost touching.

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Sure, depends on the situation. I've used it statically more or less and with varying degrees of movement. I tend to emphasize movement a lot, so go figure. Hiza Guruma and Sasae get used as weak side attacks (left throw from right grip/vice versa), and kenka yotsu. You can use them to get people moving a bit as well (to get T-ed up, for example), etc.
    I think its just differences in weight classes conditioning my experience after all fighting at 90 to open weight is a whole different thing than fighting at -60 to -73 when it comes to movement etc...

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 6:32am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do also use movement to transition into the offset position a bit like you describe. I don't just do it from a really extreme stance and when I do do it from an extreme stance its generally more the 'European' style of extreme stance with arms outstretched rather than the 'Japanese' style of very tight upper body contact with heads almost touching.

I think its just differences in weight classes conditioning my experience after all fighting at 90 to open weight is a whole different thing than fighting at -60 to -73 when it comes to movement etc...
    That's for sure. Even if you are 100kg, it's not easy to get another 100kg man to move quickly, unless your are kosei inoue. Little guys jump around a lot already.

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 2:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    That's for sure. Even if you are 100kg, it's not easy to get another 100kg man to move quickly, unless your are kosei inoue. Little guys jump around a lot already.
    Indeed. Kosei Inoue is huge, by the way, the camera doesn't do him justice. He's not only tall but very powerfully built. He was literally bulging out of his suit when I met him.

Probably why Sasae is so popular amongst heavyweights, it can be done with very little movement, is comparatively 'low risk' as an attack and can produce a big movement off of it.

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 3:33am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed. Kosei Inoue is huge, by the way, the camera doesn't do him justice. He's not only tall but very powerfully built. He was literally bulging out of his suit when I met him.

Probably why Sasae is so popular amongst heavyweights, it can be done with very little movement, is comparatively 'low risk' as an attack and can produce a big movement off of it.
    Yeah, he is/was very large man. I've met a few heavyweights who could move really well. The visiting coach from Tokai at ISU a few years ago was 6' and 265. Favorite technique was Tai Otoshi, although oyou would have sworn it was Uchi Mata, LOL. Even then, watching video of him compete in teh eliminations for the AJC he wasn't exactly jumping around like a lightweight.

STKA is a good technique for everyone to have because of the reasons you state.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2012 1:41am

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Then simply step straight forward and perform the throw.

Off setting before you start will immediately and permanently resolve your Sasae-Hiza problem.

Im a little bit confused. In the above shown drawing which way would tori be throwing? im assuming to tori's right useing tori's right foot to block the leg or doesnt it make a difference?

Posted On:
    5/19/2012 10:58am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post
    Im a little bit confused. In the above shown drawing which way would tori be throwing? im assuming to tori's right useing tori's right foot to block the leg or doesnt it make a difference?
    Yeh tori blocks uke's left leg with his right foot. I just unthinkingly did it assuming a lapel side Sasae, because that's pretty much the only side people use Sasae for in the real world.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12