Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 4:02am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

White Crane Kung Fu Club & Expensive Uniform!

Hello All,

I am relative MA novice and I am checking out a few local clubs with a view to returning to some kind of MA training. One of the clubs I emailed was a nearby Fujian White Crane Kung Fu club. I asked them to give me the details of any costs involved. I was a bit surprised when I found out that as well as the 60 ($80 or 50) memebership, they also require you to pay 135 ($180 or 110) for a "uniform" (tracksuit, t-shirt, trousers, shoes and sash)! This strikes me as bit on the expensive side to say the least!

Are uniforms a common requirement in White Crane Kung Fu clubs?
    Are they normally this expensive? Should I avoid llike the plague?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 9:59am

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malpaisian View Post
    Hello All,

I am relative MA novice and I am checking out a few local clubs with a view to returning to some kind of MA training. One of the clubs I emailed was a nearby Fujian White Crane Kung Fu club. I asked them to give me the details of any costs involved. I was a bit surprised when I found out that as well as the 60 ($80 or 50) memebership, they also require you to pay 135 ($180 or 110) for a "uniform" (tracksuit, t-shirt, trousers, shoes and sash)! This strikes me as bit on the expensive side to say the least!

Are uniforms a common requirement in White Crane Kung Fu clubs?
    Are they normally this expensive? Should I avoid llike the plague?
    $80 per month doesn't seem like overkill to me. I pay 75 for the gym I attend. That suit sounds expensive to me though. I think what's most important is 1) can you afford it 2) are there other hidden costs 3) why choose white crane over other gyms in the area?

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 1:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is $80 a membership or initiation fee atop a monthly fee, or just a monthly fee. Also, how many classes does that include on the monthly basis.

The uniform is certainly expensive, and not typical. Plenty of wonderful gongfu schools are happy to have you show up in any comfortable clothing and flat shoes or sneakers.

Moron

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 1:35pm

Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Avoid at all costs!

This is a wide spread franchise model Martial Art School. We had one down stairs from my Tai Chi class. I had a good look at one of the classes and it was crap. It’s not about Kung Fu, it’s about getting money out of you.

They constantly have to get money out of you as being a franchise model; the teacher has to kick a lot of cash up the ladder to keep using the Fujian name.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard a youngish student from the class Liokault mentions breathlessly go on about how much money they'd been told they could make once they opened their own clubs.

Exactly the way naive people who've just been pulled into a multi-level-marketing scam do.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 2:44am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Is $80 a membership or initiation fee atop a monthly fee, or just a monthly fee. Also, how many classes does that include on the monthly basis.

The uniform is certainly expensive, and not typical. Plenty of wonderful gongfu schools are happy to have you show up in any comfortable clothing and flat shoes or sneakers.
    Its an annual membership fee. The training fee is 13 per class which is quite expensive considering the average is 10 and there are some clubs that charge 8 and 5 per lesson.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 7:02am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    I heard a youngish student from the class Liokault mentions breathlessly go on about how much money they'd been told they could make once they opened their own clubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by liokault View Post
    Avoid at all costs!

This is a wide spread franchise model Martial Art School. We had one down stairs from my Tai Chi class. I had a good look at one of the classes and it was crap. It's not about Kung Fu, it's about getting money out of you.

They constantly have to get money out of you as being a franchise model; the teacher has to kick a lot of cash up the ladder to keep using the Fujian name.
    It sounds like liokault and Cullion have some insight on this school. These franchise schools just go from bad to worse. I understand the business model, but I do not agree with it.
    I have known schools that have a higher uniform price so they have wiggle room. They run specials and include the uniform for free when you sign up. It appears that you are getting a bargain--something for nothing. It all comes down to the bottom-line (yours, not theirs); what are you going to get for your hard-earned dollars?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 9:37am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I had to guess (and I do that a lot) I'd guess that maybe the uniform is some fancy looking POS made of silk, and they'll use that to justify the cost? Most good training outfits would simply be cotton or maybe heavy denim and cost a fraction of what they're charging...

The trouble is that a silk saam exposed to good kung fu training (or sunlight, sweat, water, or a million other environmental factors) often stretches and eventually rips the hell out of it...meaning you'll need a new uniform in no time...
    ("Wow, I must be The Hulk now because I am ripping apart my uniform!! Hardcore training!") = $Profit$
    Run far, far away Forrest.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/14/2012 9:43am at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 12:06pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you look up authentic Chinese kung fu performances in China, they're usually done with the master wearing whatever he's wearing at the time, and/or a wifebeater and a pair of slacks, possibly right after putting out their cigarette.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every place I've ever trained at has given me a uniform for free or heavily discounted.

I would skip out on this one. To big of a red flag.

--------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast