Style
    Boxing enthusiast
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Introduction/ Advice

Hey everyone, I heard about this place from the Cracked forums right as I was taking an interest in boxing.

Anyway, I'm an absolute beginner, having gone to my first boxing class ever earlier today. The gym is a pay by the week (for certain situations) so no annoying contracts.

So, what advice can you guys give to a beginner?

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by otherbarry View Post
    So, what advice can you guys give to a beginner?
    - Don't get discouraged by slow improvement.
    - Listen to your coach.
    - Learn to skip outside of class hours.

Style
    Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a Thai boxing noob I would say that if you aren't super fit right now, focus your outside conditioning on abs and cardio. Don't worry about strength training for now.

Style
    Boxing enthusiast
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea with the amount of physical activity I've done the past year (the bare minimal) today hit me hard. So how often should I bring out the rope or running shoes? Once a day? Every other day?

Style
    Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea with the amount of physical activity I've done the past year (the bare minimal) today hit me hard. So how often should I bring out the rope or running shoes? Once a day? Every other day?
    I'm no expert, but I have been extremely sore on off-days for the first couple of weeks. So my plan for now is to do cardio work on days I can't make it to class, and do NOTHING extra on days I do go to the gym to thai box. My logic is that I need to ease into this or 1) I might overtrain or 2) I'll be too physically tired and sore and lose motivation.

For cardio I do p90x plyometrics on 2 off-days and the kenpo/kickboxing cardio dvd on the other 2 (my schedule only allows for 3 days of training per week right now, hopefully adding in a 4th soon).

Style
    Boxing enthusiast
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, lord. Aside from breathing heavily in the Chic-fil-a line, I think my biggest problem is motivation. The entire time I was there I wanted the class to end, but as soon as it was over I couldn't wait to go back.

I'm hoping that's a conditioning thing.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, lord. Aside from breathing heavily in the Chic-fil-a line, I think my biggest problem is motivation. The entire time I was there I wanted the class to end, but as soon as it was over I couldn't wait to go back.

I'm hoping that's a conditioning thing.
    Preface: The following is learned from my experience, not necessarily in the positive way.

I'd suggest giving yourself three weeks of going regularly to classes. Just classes. You'll get some conditioning for the classes. Don't worry too much about anything else, if you think your off-days could do with some cardio, skipping, core work, do it, but I would suggest keeping it relatively simple at first. Three weeks develops a habit, doing too much cause you're keen runs the risk, as described above, of burnout. Then what could have been an easy transition later to extra exercise such as circuit/ strength/ cardio becomes the struggle to get the motivation to start exercising again. That **** sucks, trust me.

If there is classes on certain days, write those days out of your social calendar. Friends call up and "bro" you, call you a "*****" and generally peer pressuring the **** out of you, or your missus (or potential) rings you up and says, "hey baby, wanna go and spend a fortune on me at the movies/ local fair/ jewellery shop in the hopes that I will possibly play with your pen0r and let you poke my pudding"? NUP! you reply, got training. Try and make it so that this is a natural response. Whenever someone said they wanted to catch up during the week, I found myself saying automatically that I could not do Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays. Without thinking, those days were just not there for social interactions in the evening because I had training. If it is something you really want to do, then your friends can wait, your missus can wait, and dude, when a man is doing something that he wants to do to better himself, the missus and your friends will enjoy the company of a happier you.

I'm writing this from my own experience because I was on a good run, then three weeks ago I accepted an invitation to a social event on a Tuesday, it was important but not "death in the family" important, more like, "haven't hung out with hot chicks like this in a while" important. Guess what happened on Thursday? Something else "important" came up. Guess who only managed to get to the gym two days ago for the first time since these "important" things were happening? This guy. My body is sore because it hasn't done much exercise for three weeks, whereas if I had continued to exercise, I would be three weeks of exercise better off. Don't be this guy.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.

Style
    Boxing enthusiast
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    doing too much cause you're keen runs the risk, as described above, of burnout.
    As it is, the gym I'm at has multiple striking classes every day, both boxing and muay thai. I was planning on just doing as many as possible because why the hell not.

Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Friends call up and "bro" you, call you a "*****" and generally peer pressuring the **** out of you
    Not a problem, as my family moved to my current area after high school, and this is my first summer here after my freshmen year of college. So I don't currently have any local bros to call me a *****, unfortunately.

This also explains part of my motivation: boredom. Between boxing and finding a job, there isn't **** else to do, really.

Anyway, my second class is later today, and I'm so excited despite being pretty sore. Thanks for all your advice guys, I'll try and keep it in mind.