Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I apologize for my pushing my old-fashioned views, but not for having them. I realize that this isn't 1990, times change and we live in a fast-paced electronic world.
    Last edited by slamdunc; 5/29/2012 1:34pm at .

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    I apologize for my pushing my old-fashioned views, but not for having them. I realize that this isn't 1990, times change and we live in a fast-paced electronic world.
    No need to apologize for them. I started martial arts back in 1980. What we did then would for a "kids" class would have most schools out of business by now. Sometimes I just rekindle an old Billy Joel lyric "The good ol' days weren't always so good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems." :)
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    I started martial arts back in 1980. What we did then would for a "kids" class would have most schools out of business by now.
    I started in 1980 (got serious in 1981); out of business wouldn't begin to cover it. We would have been at least sued and likely arrested--and I still call it the good old days. If I didn't go home from training, skinned-up, cut or bleeding, I didn't think I accomplished anything.
    I closed my school in 1996, when the insurance got to the point that I couldn't afford it. I only do private instruction now, and my business malpractice covers that. I wonder if I would have to have insurance to do video stuff. These guys may be onto something after all. LOL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2012 4:24pm

Style: TKD, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    Your ATA should be more than helpful then. Why do you think a KKW would be more of an advantage?
    My long term goal is to become 4th dan and be able to recommend my own students to Kukkiwon for dan ranking (I'm aware you have to be 4th to recommend and promote students to Kukkiwon dan ranking). I could levy my relatively high ATA ranking but I could not give rank through ATA in any capacity or use their poomsae without going through the ringer with a drawn out instructor certification process, politics, association fees, etc. Right now I just want to teach taekwondo. Ranking doesn't particularly matter and nobody in any club or school I run is ever going to get a black belt in under 3-4 years at the very least. So I have time, because I'm not going to start teaching for another year or two probably.

The second reason is because Kukkiwon is generally more respected than ATA in the Taekwondo and martial arts community in general. Yes Kukkiwon has its own crap and politics. But I was in ATA for a while and I don't think being WTF and Kukkiwon affiliated could be worse than the politics that happen in ATA.

The first five Songahm Poomsae are good, if not slightly repetitive, but hard for beginners...beyond that, the forms just get dumb. I like the Taeguk better. Obviously even if I did teach mainly based on the ethos around my ATA 3rd dan, it would make sense to be at least 1st or 2nd dan in Kukkiwon if I was teaching some Kukkiwon material.

There is a TKD school down the street that offers kukkiwon certification I think. I will talk with them when the time comes. I'm just not able to train there right this second for financial and medical reasons. But I have no problem testing there so long as they will respect my rank to a certain degree. Most ATAers suck. I don't.

A question: the instructor at this particular school is a relatively recent 4th dan. Will there be political issues with him recommending me for 3rd dan Kukkiwon (If that was even possible)? What I mean is, do you think he would be reluctant to recommend me directly to a rank that is only one dan below him? Forgive me if this question sounds stupid. I come from the ATA and the politics the egos are...ridiculous.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 4:48pm

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can show skills without paper and prove it, but for money reasons paper is proper to have. People want to know you are under authority and have proof you are certified by something.

I could be a buff guy and say im a personal trainer, but if people look you up they will see you dont have personal trainer certification. You wont get the most money.

Kukkiwon is the most prestigious certification to get in taekwondo and its very moble and accepted internationally. These are great ways to market your dojang. This is why kukkiwon is important to have. It may sound superficial but its a reality.

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 10:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP: Nearly 20 years ago I walked into a well respected GM's office witth my 1st Dan KKW & a (bogus, as it turned out) ITF 2nd Dan looking to have him test me for 3rd Dan. After he told me that my ITF 2nd Dan was bogus, he told me I'd need to train under him for a year before he'd consider testing me....& THAT was for 2nd Dan KKW. I felt humilited because I walked in with this bogus 2nd Dan, but I was also angry that he wouldn't just test me for 3rd Dan. "A year as his student before he'd test me for 2nd Dan?! That's ridiculous!" I thought.

6 years ago, after much stress about it, I was asked to run a Taekwondo program at a community center in my town. I was older & much wiser than when I approached the first GM. I found a GM who would sponsor my school & take me on as a student. It was a year before I tested for my KKW 2nd Dan under him. I applied myself to teaching & growing as my GM's student over these years & will receive my KKW 4th Dan within a few weeks (after testing for it, of course).

The lesson I've learned from this has a lot to do with the difference between American & Korean culture. We Americans (I'm no exception) tend to see our rank as a commodity that we purchase, rather than the result of hard work. We also see high ranking folks as people who can give us what we want, rather than to become their students & learn (really learn) from them.

I've learned so much more by being a student actually learning from my GM in these last 6 years than I would have learning a poomsae or two & sending in a dvd to be tested.

There are a few GM's who will give you KKW rank sight unseen for a price. You need never enter a dojang, as long as you have enough cash. I realize that's NOT what the OP is talking about. I would encourage anyone who wants rank from an org. other than where they have it to find a GM they can learn from & to do so. For a long period of time. It will make a world of difference in your all-around ability to perform & teach at your best.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/07/2012 8:08am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yieldingbamboo View Post
    A question: the instructor at this particular school is a relatively recent 4th dan. Will there be political issues with him recommending me for 3rd dan Kukkiwon (If that was even possible)? What I mean is, do you think he would be reluctant to recommend me directly to a rank that is only one dan below him? Forgive me if this question sounds stupid. I come from the ATA and the politics the egos are...ridiculous.
    There should not be any political issues. The only issue would be his personal stance on the matter. He may only be able to recommend you up to 2nd dan though since, technically you would be doing a skip dan process in KKW.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234