Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2012 2:46pm

Style: TKD, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    That is a dilemma of sorts, and I don't blame you for not wanting to start at the bottom rung of the ladder every time. These associations are money-motivated, and they will bleed you dry. If you already have the training, surely you can find an instructor who will honor your rank if you are in a similar style. I enjoyed my TKD training; I had an honorable teacher who was in it more for love of the game than profit.
    I went in with three years of Kenpo experience; I spent seven months learning forms and the technical aspects of TKD. I then assisted with and ran classes, and this helped with my eventual promotion to BB.
    With the new information, I would say you have been paying your dues, but you still have to find someone to work with you.
    ATA/Songahm is a bit similar to WTF but is probably more like ITF from what I gather. But my master, Sergio Von Schmeling, was an advanced WTF black belt in Paraguay before he joined the ATA. He's good. You can see his skill and the power in his technique, particularly his board breaking ability. He taught a more WTF way of kicking where you lift the leg like a front kick then turn it and press off the ball at the end for a roundhouse, etc. That kind of stuff. It's fast than, say, rotating the round house kick from the beginning. AndrewAWA has helped me to tailor everything else to Kukkiwon/WTF style, although I still need to spar with WTF rules more so I can get the hang of it. ATA sparring was dumb, the kenpo sparring was better but still like the Sport Karate ilk (because my instructor, Marty Martin, liked competing in sport karate competitions). I did Kenpo for a year, got to yellow belt and missed my orange belt testing (lol) then got tired of the atmosphere and the impractical self defense sets. But I learned some great stuff there, particularly the boxing fundamentals we practiced every class, and some of the relaxation and coordination principles. I learned a lot in that one year.

I think a guy down the street might work with me but we'll have to wait and see till after my surgery. I appreciate the reply.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/27/2012 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever the case, good luck with your training. It isn't the paper, it is the knowledge that counts anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2012 3:10pm

Style: TKD, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever the case, good luck with your training. It isn't the paper, it is the knowledge that counts anyway.
    I hear ya! But the paper is helpful when you want to teach people LOL.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 4:21pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taekwonwoo? I've seen this guy. He graduated from Yong-In university.. i never really paid attention to the name "Yong-In" until i saw it on Human Weapon.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 9:15am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yieldingbamboo View Post
    Personally I'd like to get ranking closer to my ATA ranking, probably 2nd dan, but I doubt that'll happen. I've had my 3rd dan for 7 years and I've never stopped practicing my Taekwondo kicks even when I was training in other styles/schools. If I had been WTF all along I could be 4th dan right now, getting close to testing for 5th.

If I do 1st dan testing in a school, it's fine with me. But I'm not in the mood to be put back into some stupid colored belt and made to pay two testing fees before I have to pay the whopping 1st dan testing and certification fees. I already went through this crap with kenpo karate. I could kick 10000x better than any of the black belts, had better hand strikes than most of the higher colored belts, but I had to start from the bottom even though my TKD training had all the same basics as Kenpo, and I picked up the dumb slappy techniques immediately.
    So outside of the Kenpo school did you visit any TKD schools that were KKW schools? You will find most of them will allow you to keep your black belt status while you learn their forms to catch up. Some may even recommend you for skip dan testing, which means, when the time comes, that you could skip 1st and receive your 2nd dan. There are even some cases, that you can appeal to the KKW for you equivalent rank of what you hold now.

Finally, just so you know, even you did receive your KKW 1st dan you would have no power to promote any students to any dan rankings through KKW. Only 4th dan and above can do this. So if your goal is to promote people in KKW TKD, then I would recommend seeking out a local teacher. Even if you video tape to 1st dan, you will still have to train somewhere to progress. Or just ride out your TIG and then try to appeal for another rank.

If you goal is to teach KKW TKD forms, just learn them from youtube and teach and open your own school. Why bother with KKW certification?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 9:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    Why bother with KKW certification?
    For some reason, he is fixed on that KKW paper to hang on the wall.

I have a question for you Miguksaram. Referring to the op and your responses, if this Master Woo certifies someone, would that rank be accepted in the TKD community. You stated that it is frowned upon to a certain extent, but how does it make someone with your extensive experience and training feel. I still contend that it adulterates the process, but to each their own.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 12:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For some reason, he is fixed on that KKW paper to hang on the wall.
    Which is nice, but if his short term goal is to run a KKW TKD school and promote people up to dan ranks in KKW TKD, it will not work, unless of course he has friends who are 4th dan and higher who could recommend his students for dan rank. 1st - 3rd dan, cannot get KKW dan ranks. However, if his longer term goal is get a 4th dan, then this would be a good start. Again, though he would still have to train at a school for future promotions OR keep trying to appeal for rank in the way he is now.

I have a question for you Miguksaram. Referring to the op and your responses, if this Master Woo certifies someone, would that rank be accepted in the TKD community. You stated that it is frowned upon to a certain extent, but how does it make someone with your extensive experience and training feel. I still contend that it adulterates the process, but to each their own.
    First let me be clear that what is usually frowned upon is someone who has no connections to any TKD and then suddenly video testing and getting rank. Or if they were a 8th guep in KKW TKD and then tried to video test for a 1st dan just by learning the forms, that would also be frowned upon.

Would it be accepted by the TKD community? In his case, I do not see why not. He has TKD experience and has been in it for a while. All he is doing is switching out his ATA forms for KKW forms. Now, my personal view is that I really do not care. If you would had asked me this some years ago, I would be up in arms about it. Like him, I busted my ass for my rank. If I was not at school, I was at the dojang training. So it would feel like he did not pay his dues in my style of TKD. Now and days there are so many Great, Grand, Hanshi, Soke, Guru, Masters out there that I try not to concern myself on how person 'X' got to where he is. Bottom line is this, does he get out on the mat and train? Does he teach good martial arts?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 12:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yieldingbamboo View Post
    I hear ya! But the paper is helpful when you want to teach people LOL.
    Your ATA should be more than helpful then. Why do you think a KKW would be more of an advantage?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 12:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Deleted due to double posting
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 1:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    Bottom line is this, does he get out on the mat and train? Does he teach good martial arts?
    That's where I'm at with the whole thing when it comes down to it. Thanks for your reply.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast