Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 10:30pm

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Master Woo 6th dan on youtube offering video testing

I used the search function for Master SJ Woo, Master Woo etc and did not see anyone talking about this guy. So I will ask about him in this post.

Has anyone heard of Master SJ Woo, on his youtube he spells it SJ.Woo like that. He claims he is a 6th dan black belt from WTF and he is a Korean guy. His technique looks legit and crisp and he is very soft spoken and kind of funny. He seems like a nice guy, but what is shady is he is offering video testing and claiming he can give rank. On his website it lists kukkiwon and WTF websites. but on his page he only says he got 6th dan in WTF style (shouldn it be Kukkiwon and not WTF?) and he says he got a Taekwondo degree.

His name on youtube is taekwonwoo and on his youtube page it says:

"Master Woo has earned teaching degree in Taekwondo (as a Major) from Yong-In University in Korea. Master Woo is 6th degree certified international master instructor from World Taekwondo Federation."

What does anyone know about this guy? And is it actually allowed that masters can just go online and offer to test people for kukkiwon ranks by video? It reminds me of that ISAmartial arts guy who claims he can do it for you too. Are things like this legitimate or fruadulent?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 10:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/taekwonwoo

Here is his official website and on the front page it mentions the black belt certification program:

http://taekwonwoo.net/

What do you all think? The main reason I ask is because a friend of mine who has no dojan currently and is going through some medical stuff was talking about how he could test for a kukkiwon rank before he undergoes a serious operation. I dont want him to do something he might regret.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 4:11am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew WA View Post
    I dont want him to do something he might regret.
    You mean like giving his hard-earned money to someone selling rank in Tae Kwon Do? I checked the web page and found his motto:
    師父領進門 修行在個人
    Teacher only can guide, It’s up to students to carryout.

And this:
    Are you training at home and don’t know where to begin? Start here.. And you can do anything.

If your friend has previous training in WTF Tae Kwon Do, and wants to use the videos to brush up on his skills, it is probably still a waste of money, but otherwise pretty harmless.

If your friend wants to use this as a foundation for his martial arts training, he is doomed to fail. Even if SJ Woo is a legitimate TKD instructor, this type of thing adulterates the martial arts; Ashida Kim comes to mind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 5:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well my friend has rank in another organization andw ould rather have kukkiwon. According to Master Woo's website it seems as if he is offering to sign papers for you to be kukkiwon certified.

Is it allowed to do such things?

Do you also know about that ISA Martial Arts website that claism they can do the same thing over video?

I dont think video testing is ALWAYS wrong...but its not preferable. And its best if its done by masters who knows your teacher or are affiliated with your gym. Not some random guy on youtube.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 7:39pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it allowed to do such things?
    The Kukkiwon may be allowing things like this to happen now days. It has become a top-heavy, all about money organization. If your friend really wants that paper so bad, and this is the way to obtain it, well, it's his money.

Do you also know about that ISA Martial Arts website that claism they can do the same thing over video?
    I have no idea; can you post a link to the ISA site?

I dont think video testing is ALWAYS wrong...but its not preferable. And its best if its done by masters who knows your teacher or are affiliated with your gym. Not some random guy on youtube.
    I didn't say it was always a bad idea, but if your friend had no background or formal training, it would be totally pointless. I have never tested by video, but could probably advance in Kenpo by doing so, if I were so inclined. I trained the old fashioned way, and with the WTF, that wasn't much better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 9:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    The Kukkiwon may be allowing things like this to happen now days. It has become a top-heavy, all about money organization. If your friend really wants that paper so bad, and this is the way to obtain it, well, it's his money.

I have no idea; can you post a link to the ISA site?

I didn't say it was always a bad idea, but if your friend had no background or formal training, it would be totally pointless. I have never tested by video, but could probably advance in Kenpo by doing so, if I were so inclined. I trained the old fashioned way, and with the WTF, that wasn't much better.
    Well if he wants to start a dojang or build up a martial arts resume it does look better to have a kukkiwon rank than an ATA rank.
    for people who want to be instructors and make a living teaching martial arts its good to get the papers. I have them and he wants them too.

here is the link to the ISA site :
    http://www.isamartialarts.net/isa_ku...ation_PAGE.htm

ya I think video testing IS NOT ideal, but in some cases if you cant make it somewhere or you are isolated like living in a far location your instructor or friend of the instructor who has grandmaster rank or something close like 7th-9th dan should abe able to assess your skill well.

but I find it odd to offer it to just anyone who films videos of poomsae or whatever. I always thought you had to have at least a kukkiwon gym affiliate to do this. but I think Master Woo actually does have a dojang building and its WTF affiliate.

but he claism WTF and doesnt claim he has rank in kukkiwon. but im wondering if he is just using WTF and kukkiwon interchangably since most people assume WTF is the style of taekwondo 9which it is not, its simply the tournament organization).

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well my friend has rank in another organization andw ould rather have kukkiwon. According to Master Woo's website it seems as if he is offering to sign papers for you to be kukkiwon certified.
    Yes, this can happen but it is frowned upon to a certain extent. KKW cannot monitor every KKW dojang in the world so they rely on the integrity of the instructors who are processing the paperwork and sending it to them. There are many non-KKW TKD people who want to participate in WTF events for the chance to get into the Olympics. Theoretically, they should be able to meet the minimum requirements for KKW 1st dan, which breaks down to just knowing the required poomsae.

Yes, I am familiar and was a member with them for a very short period of time many, many moons ago. I stopped associating with the organization as I felt they were doing nothing more than making paper masters. My own personal opinion, others may like them and if they do then so be it.

Right. While sometimes video can be useful, it is not always recommended. Some people want to take the easy route. Others may not have the privilege of having KKW connections and may need someone like Woo to help them along. This can be due to losing their connection to the KKW or not knowing which proper channels to take. Who knows.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even so...

I'm still struggling to imagine a scenario where this would ever be right...
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 10:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    Yes, this can happen but it is frowned upon to a certain extent. KKW cannot monitor every KKW dojang in the world so they rely on the integrity of the instructors who are processing the paperwork and sending it to them. There are many non-KKW TKD people who want to participate in WTF events for the chance to get into the Olympics. Theoretically, they should be able to meet the minimum requirements for KKW 1st dan, which breaks down to just knowing the required poomsae.

Yes, I am familiar and was a member with them for a very short period of time many, many moons ago. I stopped associating with the organization as I felt they were doing nothing more than making paper masters. My own personal opinion, others may like them and if they do then so be it.

Right. While sometimes video can be useful, it is not always recommended. Some people want to take the easy route. Others may not have the privilege of having KKW connections and may need someone like Woo to help them along. This can be due to losing their connection to the KKW or not knowing which proper channels to take. Who knows.
    Thanks a lot for the info man. I would thinkt hat KKW would see popular websites, or people promoting themselves and using their kukkiwon rank to sell certification over the internet. The KKW should shut stuff like this down, but whatever...it is how it is.

ya ISA's website does not look credible, but if they do help people get KKW rank and its real then ok, i still think its dumb. What caused you to join that group? Do they also claim they are a Christian organization? I saw something about that on their site.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 10:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JingMerchant! View Post
    Even so...

I'm still struggling to imagine a scenario where this would ever be right...
    Well ins ome cases a master might die, or some affiliation problems occur so another master later who has a gym way too far away from someone to travel too can help the person get kukkiwon rank. So he just wants to make sure the person actually has good technique and can prove he has 1st dan rank and was tested under the first master. So he has him video it and then sends for kukkiwon rank.

That is a totally legitimate situation. Its way different than some guy who has never reached black belt to just find some random guy online to buy a peice of paper from.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast