Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA in Shanghai China

This is my first post here. I'm in Shanghai China. MMA is a new sport here, so there are no real MMA gyms in town. Shanghai has few Thai boxing gyms, sanda clubs, kungfu clubs, one BJJ school, taekwondo clubs, a few karate clubs, and couple of questionable people offering "MMA".

I'm worried that some of these MMA instructors are trying to take advantage of people's ignorance of the sport by setting themselves up as the only show in town, so to speak. Which sucks because China has such a rich history of martial arts , and a lot of talented athletes who could excel in the sport of MMA with proper training.

One guy in particular who calls himself a "self promoted MMA black belt". He's an American expatriate.

At first he had himself listed as a "blue belt in BJJ" but when I emailed him about his BJJ experience he changed the website to "MMA black belt" and replied that he was a white belt in BJJ.

He also told me he was a pro fighter, but when I checked, he didn't have a record on Sherdog, and mixedmartialarts.com lists him as an amateur with a couple of matches. But the average Chinese or foreign expat doesn't know about these webs sites so no one questions it.

When I asked about his credentials in karate, hapkido, and judo that he advertised, I didn't get any clear answers other than he got his karate BB at age 17.

When I went to the gym, (which appeared to be an old dance studio with TKD mats on the floor) this instructor was teaching what he called a "judo" throw, but didn't even know the names of basic judo techniques like uchi mata, o goshi, osoto gari, etc. Then he spent the rest of class grappling with/beating up the new students.

But then one new guy caught him with a guillotine choke, which obviously hurt his pride and so he pontificated for a while on guillotine escapes and referenced his past successes in "pro fights" to save face.

I found that video after he told me that he "almost beat" a Chinese sanda/sanshao champion in an epic MMA match... until the referee "interfered". I don't think he realized they filmed it for television.

Anyway, so I quit this gym and found out about the BJJ school and started training there. These guys were legit, and honest about what they offered. Two BJJ purple belts with solid fundamentals taught the classes (that's about the highest rank you can hope to find in China right now except when the occasional black belt visits for a seminar) and they had a good sized team of guys eager to learn the sport.

So one day, this BS MMA guy and the assistant instructor (I think) come to challenge the BJJ school to a no-gi grappling match. They grapple two of the blue belt BJJ students and get their asses handed to them.

Not trying to knock on them for manning up and putting their money where their mouth is or anything, I can respect that they actually competed. But later I see this MMA "black belt" guy advertising himself as "the best no-gi grappling and MMA instruction in Shanghai".

That's when I knew I had to come here and write about it. Anyway, I'm sure when the sport of MMA develops a little more in China, people will see this guy's BS for what it is, but until then, he's charging a bunch of money for substandard services (like 7000 yuan a year, the average yearly income in Shanghai is 20,000 yuan, the average in China is like 4000 yuan) He justifies it by promising the new students that they will earn tens of thousands of yuan when they start to fight professionally.

I know for a fact that you don't get paid that much to fight! Especially if you are Chinese. That is so wrong. You do not take advantage of people like that.

Anyway, if this is the wrong forum to complain, I am sorry, please let me know where to post in the future.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no such thing as a recognized black belt in MMA. The guy is a self promoting douchebag.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mind if I move this thread to MABS and put his name in it?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a fellow expat in Shanghai I know how fucking **** mma is here, BJJ and muay thai is all that should be touched here even though they charge way too high. just look at the "fighters" in Shanghai, http://fightersunite.com/Fighters.html one guy has a 1 - 22 mma record lol

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coming across this post, I felt the need to activate my bullshido account that I started in 2005, to warn people, because this hits pretty close to home...

I know this guy, in fact, I am the guy listed as having a 1-22 mma record on the above site. But like everything else Silas Maynard, and I have no trouble letting people know his name, is involved with is total bullshit.

First let me clear up my name a little, here is an article written about me by one of Asia's top MMA/sports writers.

http://www.espnstar.com/other-sports...-Isamu-Himura/

Second, I fought in China's pro kick boxing and MMA circuits for around a year, after a knee operation that I needed for a year. I had nowhere near 22 fights, I actually had 7 fights in China and and 2 ESPN sanctioned matches in Singapore, which I lost (to a controversial decision, controversy being that the judges trained at my opponents school) and a draw, against a guy from Jake Shield's camp, which really wasn't even close.

Here is a fight I had with a 2x national Sanda Champion, that outweighed me by about 30-40 pounds... If you can get it working, it's really the only match in China of mine that I can find. It also gives you an idea of what to except if you decide to fight in China..

http://www.qqgfw.com/Vod/VodInfo.aspx?VodID=467 (My fight is towards the end.)

But I do have images on my website...

http://ihimura.com/?page_id=85

Anyway, enough about me, now that I am back with me team in North Hollywood (and healthy) I will prove myself in time...

When I first met Silas in Shanghai, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. At the time, he was actually listed on Sherdog as having a 4-1 record. However, this was due to the fact that he actually went as far as lying to Sherdog to post his amateur record claiming that they were pro fights... However later, the people who he supposedly got his BJJ Blue belt from, which he claimed he had. Contacted Sherdog when they heard about all of the crap he was talking about his backround, and Sherdog pulled his bogus record. This is just a classic example of how far (the Bi-polar) Silas will go to make himself look good at the expense of others (others being the people who he claimed he beat on a professional level.. One of which improved to the point where he is doing pretty well in MMA now, through the hard work he has no doubt put in.)

Silas came to Shanghai through a high paying factory job with his family, his now ex-wife, an ex-stripper, later went back to the states with their daughter. This was about 3-4 years ago now, and I know for a fact that Silas pays no child support, for her, or his son.. So not only is Silas a cheat, thief, and the biggest liar I have ever met in my life, he is much worst than any of those things - He is a deadbeat dad. Oh no, instead of supporting his family, Silas instead prefers to spend his money on Chinese prostitutes. In fact a bunch of (very poor) girls that Silas promised the world to, created what they call in China, a Human Flesh Search about him...

http://www.tianya.cn/publicforum/con.../2096312.shtml
    http://www.tianya.cn/publicforum/con.../2095614.shtml

If you don't feel like starting up the translate tool.. It's allot of anger against 1 slime ball. If people are in fact rolling with him, as the top poster has pointed out, I seriously suggest you avoid that kind of contact with this guy. For the most part it talks about "the bald American pig" bringing shame, cheating, generally disgracing the people of Shanghai, sleeping around with trashy women "in a pig's bed," lot's of angry exclamations, and something about spreading AIDS - Not someone you want to be training MMA with...

When Sila's gym first opened I was actually teaching most of the classes there. We had a great open location in Hongqiao, with showers, a cage, and much more. I volunteered my time until there were enough students so we could work something out, trusting the guy, I worked with him.. Come to find out, because of what I was putting into the location, the gym was making 30,000-60,000RMB a month. Silas though, just pocketed it all, didn't make rent, and moved to the crappy dance studio where he decided to run everything himself. The location had so much potential, and I wanted to bring in some of my friends from team Hayastan over to teach more classes, but well... Silas is a thief, and instead of running a good business, he needed hookers.

I can go on and on, Silas has no Karate rank, nor does he have a judo or jiujitsu rank. It's funny, actually the poster above commented that he was teaching judo techniques, but didn't know the names, well actually I am the one who taught him those, and I will tell you now, he is not qualified to teach judo, or even assist in a class. At my school, he would be a white belt and probably wouldn't last.

Later I was invited to the Xi'an Sport's Academy, which has the biggest MMA program in China to help the kids there who were fighting MMA on their ground game. I promise you, if your fight record is 1-22, the seasoned Sanda and wrestling based fighters there will not respect you. The results were that 2 out of the 3 that went to Singapore to fight won belts there. The third, almost pulled a guillotine in the first round, but lost in the second against a more experienced BJJ Purple belt... He however, fought well.

The reason I am mentioning the above is that I worked very hard for the growth of MMA in China in general. I wasn't training full time, there was no where in Shanghai to do it, and honestly, when I was getting along with Silas, training with him was worthless, so I just didn't go in too often other than teaching my classes. Mostly I trained myself, and later just went to Thailand for around a month instead. Actually, I raised so much hell about them bending the rules for Chinese fighters in MMA matches in China, (exp. letting them grab the ropes, stopping the fight when it goes to the ground right before the foreigner gets a submission.) That they stopped doing that, and instead promise fair fights for all.

The last straw in my opinion of Silas is when I found out, that he was telling people that he was my coach, and took 50%-85% of what the promotions were actually paying me to fight, which I desperately needed at that time, but Silas didn't care, he has no respect for the martial arts, fighters, or other human beings in general. I did everything in my power to help him, and in return he was stealing away, and acting like my friend.

If you want to train in Shanghai, Shanghai BJJ is good, the first poster mentioned that the purple belts at the school are the best you can get in Shanghai, but I disagree with that.. One of the instructors (Ryan) would be a black belt (or brown at the least) had he been training stateside by now, the only reason why he isn't I guess, is because there is no one there to promote him. I had the pleasure of grappling with Ryan for one day at the very end of my stay in China, and after 3 seconds, I knew that Sila's lie about tapping him out, was just that, another one of his fibs.

Tomer Oz's school is great for Muay Thai training, as is Tiger Club, which has some good Thai instructors there. If you are in Beijing, China Top Team has a world class MMA camp there, who has recently sent Tie Quan to the UFC.

One of the things China dose have though, is a great opportunity for fighters to get experience in MMA and Kickboxing. To get into these events contact Bill Eng through facebook.. He's been nothing but straight up with me, and others, and will not take a dime from fighters.

http://www.facebook.com/kickbill?ref=ts

Later on, after I started exposing Silas on expat forums, and on Facebook, he started telling people that he used to kick my ass every day.

If I ever see him again, quite frankly, I am going to **** him up...

Justice, has been served though for the most part. He doesn't have any students besides the extremely naive. The Chinese promoters and organizations won't talk to him anymore, so he can't steal from the people he gets fights for like he used to, and his reputation is where it belongs - posted on Bullshido.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, I am glad you left his gym.. He is a leech, that will suck you dry, then steal your last penny.. Self promoting douchebag puts it extremely lightly.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Sam, can you approve my post so I can help bring more exposure to this guy? It's kind of personal to me.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do I need to "approve" your post? We do not "approve" member submitted content. What are you asking me to do?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

???

Quote Originally Posted by karabar View Post
    As a fellow expat in Shanghai I know how fucking **** mma is here, BJJ and muay thai is all that should be touched here even though they charge way too high. just look at the "fighters" in Shanghai, http://fightersunite.com/Fighters.html one guy has a 1 - 22 mma record lol
    I don't know what you are trying to prove here by 1-22mma record. The link you gave is to the mma gym in Shanghai. I have been to that gym. I live in Hainan, Haikou. I went all the way from Haikou to Shanghai just for two day( I wish I had more time) to see a guy name Silas( the mma coach at that gym). At first I had doubt in my mind regarding Silas, but man I am so glad that I went all the way just to see this guy. He is the most legitimate thing I have ever seen in China. He don't brag like others. He will just give you what you are promised. I have been training Sanda for more than an year. I trained with Silas for just two days.Man! Honestly speaking, I have leaned so much in these two days that its better than what I have learned in the last 6 months. I wish I could train more with him but my current cirumstances do not allow me to stay in Shanghai. I am not here to promote his gym. I am just here to help the mma fans out there to find the right place to get the training. If you don't want to believe in me, I can understand. Just go over to his gym and tell him that you want him to show you what he would be able to teach you. Trust me, you will go back home happy. Just try him out and share your experience over here. No bragging!

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you sure he didn't submit an article that needs approval?

I'm pretty sure regular members can post front page stuff, but I'm not sure.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

Page 1 of 3 123 Last