Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 10:22am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    You are OK with practising with swords/sticks etc but if you take them out on the street then it is another matter. There is also a huge ambiguity with what if you are taking your katana to your dojo to practice....
    Yeah I actually really need to get a stick bag, I've been sort-of nonchalantly walking around with my Eskrima sticks for a week now and its always a little worrying.

"Its ok Officer, I'm building some really small rattan furniture"

Edit: Not carrying them around for self-defense or anything retarded like that, just to and from the gym.
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 5/10/2012 10:24am at . Reason: clarification

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 11:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can own a samurai sword as long as its a genuine collectors item. If its less than 100 years old its illegal to either import, sell or own one. Its worth pointing out that any Japanese sword produced after 1912 was probably not owned by a 'Samurai' in the sense we imagine a 'Samurai sword' to mean.

The law was aimed at takeing those cheap modern ones off the market.

If you want to pick yourself up a genuine Samurai sword you still can. And I'm 100% if you really wanted to pick up one of the cheap mass produced modern ones you still can.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 11:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are OK with practising with swords/sticks etc but if you take them out on the street then it is another matter. There is also a huge ambiguity with what if you are taking your katana to your dojo to practice....
    Not really, taking it somewhere you're going to use it is a lawful excuse. You'll probably find them a lot more sympathetic if it's in the boot of your car or inside a sports bag than if you have it slung down the side of you trenchcoat, mind...

The katana law was quite specifically written to target wall-hangers for scumbags, so if it's a real antique, hand-forged and/or you're provably a member of a club you can still buy one. They're also only illegal to sell, not to own.

P.S. Judoka_uk, you're a little out of date, they loosened the law up to allow traditionally made weapons as well as antiques. And it was always selling them that was illegal, never possession.

Much infos here: http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/New-UK-Swo...00000006500890
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 5/10/2012 11:11am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 11:15am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Not really, taking it somewhere you're going to use it is a lawful excuse. You'll probably find them a lot more sympathetic if it's in the boot of your car or inside a sports bag than if you have it slung down the side of you trenchcoat, mind...

The katana law was quite specifically written to target wall-hangers for scumbags, so if it's a real antique, hand-forged and/or you're provably a member of a club you can still buy one. They're also only illegal to sell, not to own.
    Mmmm - not sure on the lawful excuse, that might be down to how the copper speaking to you deals with the situation. I do remember my training in the police many years ago and what length of blade, fixed vs folding blades could be carried. I remember that a folding blade had to be less than 2.5 inches and a fixed blade could not be carried unless it was for ceremonial/religous purposes or being used for work.

I remember having a lively discussion with the instructor as (at the time) I often carried a fixed bladed knife when I went sea fishing to cut bait and was told it was technically illegal.

I think it all depends on the police on the day. It is worth pointing out I haven't been in the police for quite a few years and legislation/best practice may (and probably has) changed

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 11:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember that a folding blade had to be less than 2.5 inches and a fixed blade could not be carried unless it was for ceremonial/religous purposes or being used for work.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/139

That's not quite correct, ceremonial/religious purposes and work are examples of good reasons, not restrictions on them.
    I remember having a lively discussion with the instructor as (at the time) I often carried a fixed bladed knife when I went sea fishing to cut bait and was told it was technically illegal.
    Like a lot of police in the UK, he didn't know what the law actually says.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 11:23am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like a lot of police in the UK, he didn't know what the law actually says.[/QUOTE]

Yep! I do remember making it up as we went along. Collegue of mine once nicked a guy "cos you are a ****"

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Like a lot of police in the UK, he didn't know what the law actually says.
    That's common elsewhere too. One time a cop stopped me here in California, and measured the length of my folding knife's blade against his palm, and suggested that that was the legal limit. It's not, and it would be a very arbitrary scale to begin with.

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 3:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure its standard practice, because its much easier for the police to trick someone into surrendering their weapons or potential weapons and then grudgingly give it back later.

Thus covering the polices' arse rather than find out someone has a weapon or potential weapon and let them carry on their way on to be later cross examined about why you stopped the guy with the weapon and let him go.

Frankly if I was a policeman I would probably do the same.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 4:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    affect a limp & travel with a cane!!!! & only CANEMASTERS will do!
    let me tell you, few things are as gratifying as shattering someone's knee with a nice stout hickory stick...
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123