Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11
    cualltaigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cooltown, SEQ
    Posts
    1,470
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Question on British law: what, if any, sanctions are put on subjects of Great Britain if they voice similar ideas or train similar arts?
    They're deported to the penal colony of Australia ;-)
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

  2. #12
    Styygens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,178
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe Larkin planned on traveling with a pen knife in his luggage?

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    83
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Conversely I was informed by a Sayoc trainer from the US when flying to carry sharpened pencils as they get through customs just fine, maybe I should pass that on to Tim Larkin if they ever decide to let him come
    Last edited by your next; 5/10/2012 1:35am at . Reason: Edit to remove links to epetition as it had closed with only 8000 signatures, needs over 100,000 to get discussed so I guess

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    567
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Question on British law: what, if any, sanctions are put on subjects of Great Britain if they voice similar ideas or train similar arts?
    Not a lot - the fact is that we live here so can't be banned from entering or get in trouble for taking part in this kind of training provided you are UK or probably EU nationals. Apart from that you can pretty much do what you like provided it doesn't involve illegal firearms.

    Larkin was perhaps a bit unlucky that he wanted to come to the UK from a non-EU country so it was much easier for him to get banned. EU citizens have a right to go anywhere in the EU without sanction which can (in my humble opinion end up with some insane situations)

  5. #15
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Question on British law: what, if any, sanctions are put on subjects of Great Britain if they voice similar ideas or train similar arts?
    None at all, obviously. But for foreigners, entry to the UK is a privilege, not a right. The State Department prevents people from entering the US for all sorts of reasons.

    Agree with Coup above, this is his retarded marketing coming back to bite him in the arse. I find it difficult to weep for him that somebody actually bought his schtick.

  6. #16
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,211
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    They're deported to the penal colony of Australia ;-)
    So that is how Colin ended up there...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    C*nt London
    Posts
    555
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn it. Now I won't get the chance to learn how to "punch an attacker so hard that a rib will break into the internal organs and hit the spine."

    Ah well. Back to Youtube it is then.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    2,579
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Not a lot - the fact is that we live here so can't be banned from entering or get in trouble for taking part in this kind of training provided you are UK or probably EU nationals. Apart from that you can pretty much do what you like provided it doesn't involve illegal firearms.

    Larkin was perhaps a bit unlucky that he wanted to come to the UK from a non-EU country so it was much easier for him to get banned. EU citizens have a right to go anywhere in the EU without sanction which can (in my humble opinion end up with some insane situations)
    You forgot banned knives, banned swords, and probably sticks and stones. You know it's funny I practice HEMA a style invented by the Brits, and yet they can't own a sword to practice it lol.

    I think you guys should ban Ashida Kim too, I wish the U.S. Would.

  9. #19
    Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,185
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    You forgot banned knives, banned swords, and probably sticks and stones. You know it's funny I practice HEMA a style invented by the Brits, and yet they can't own a sword to practice it lol.

    I think you guys should ban Ashida Kim too, I wish the U.S. Would.
    AFAIK you're ok with Western swords, its the katana you can't have over here. That said, they won't sell a set of steak knives without IDing you in the supermarket.

    My concession to self-defense over here is to wear steel tipped boots if I'm walking late at night, at least they're still vaguely legal.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    567
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    AFAIK you're ok with Western swords, its the katana you can't have over here. That said, they won't sell a set of steak knives without IDing you in the supermarket.

    My concession to self-defense over here is to wear steel tipped boots if I'm walking late at night, at least they're still vaguely legal.
    You are OK with practising with swords/sticks etc but if you take them out on the street then it is another matter. There is also a huge ambiguity with what if you are taking your katana to your dojo to practice....

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO