Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: No more lurker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No more lurker

*Kills lurker status*

Hail grandmasters of awesumness.

I'll try and keep it brief. Lady living in Johannesburg, South Africa. For those not in the know - it's one of the cities with the highest violent crime rates in the world. Guns.... lots of guns... carjacking and rape. And I see the latest trend is broken beer bottles.

So here's what I did: Googled self defense... and got KM. I'm checking the class out tomorrow night. But. After reading about KM on your forum. I am not a happy camper. I'd submit their link, but I'm still on lurker alert.

Here's what I don't want: Sitting on a hardwood floor in my white pajamas chanting doo-dahs for a year and learning how to breathe. (aka lamaze). I'm not trying to insult anyone, I just don't look good in white.

Here's what I want: Actual, usable in the "jungle", honest to goodness knowledge of how to defend myself and maybe how to hurt that dude, just a little, so he can't run after me. (I said it :D) I want bruises, scrapes and pains because I'd rather be sorry now than later. I'd want something that puts me against a real opponent - as soon as I'm ready rather than never.

Here's what I need from you: A) Now what? Where do I look - no-one seems too positive about KM.

B) I could use some pointers on how to avoid pitfalls at clubs by asking the right questions... From your forum I've already gathered to stay away from those pesky 148 year contracts.

OH. And I want world peace. And a cat.

That's about it. Thanks guys (and galls?) in the know - I know you'll steer me in the right direction. And for putting up with my strange wit..

XsCode

Style
    Humbleness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi and welcome!, I also live in a dangerous city (in south america) I can tell you that despite that there are a lot of people that simply train in a Mcdojo or some wimpy light contact so you will have to look to find a good system and gym.

I will recomend you Muay Thai, Judo, Boxing or MMA to start as quickly as possible preparing yourself this arts rely on aliveness and sparring to improve your fighting skills and you will practice most of the techniques against someone who is resisting them.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. Here's a video that espouses what a lot of us here would recommend to someone interested in learning to fight via martial arts:

He describes concepts of effective training vs ineffective training, instead of just saying "style X is good, Style Y is bad", so you can take that lens and apply it to what's available in your area. Having said that, certain styles use the kinds of training methods he mentions as their bread and butter, while others do not, and this is why you'll get recommendations for arts like Brazilian jiujitsu, judo, boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, etc. But if you find a different type of place to train and they train effectively, you shouldn't discount them because they're not "on the list". I train in Filipino martial arts, but we spar etc so its a good training group.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there.

I'm originally from Vereeniging myself. There's a few very good places in JHB that some of my friends train with.

I'll send out some emails this evening and see if I can get some links for you.

Edit: http://quantumtribe.wordpress.com/
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 5/08/2012 11:32am at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Starting in on the homework everyone's given me - and Fuzzy I really appreciate the effort. I'm in the Randburg area, if someone knows of something close by, that would be just grand !

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will some kind soul please have a look and give me an informed opinion. I've tried to do my research and all seems good....

Also best advice to start - with striking or grappling - or both?

bjmma.co.za - please insert the 3w's in front, I'm still on lurker status.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're actually pretty cool, n00b. Loved the "chanting doo-dah" line. Welcome.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by XsCode View Post
    Will some kind soul please have a look and give me an informed opinion. I've tried to do my research and all seems good....

Also best advice to start - with striking or grappling - or both?

bjmma.co.za - please insert the 3w's in front, I'm still on lurker status.
    The instructor is claiming a BJJ Black Belt, that should be fairly easy to verify.

He's also a member of Rio Grappling club who AFAIK are pretty serious competitors.

I don't think you could go wrong if you went down to check out a class, just have a good read of the stuff on Aliveness and what to look for in a good club and if that's what you see, then you're good to go.

Regarding grappling or striking I think give both a try at least. You mention you're looking for self-defense so striking is probably a good idea, just to get you used to someone hitting you and being aggressive towards you.
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 5/09/2012 6:24am at . Reason: missed second question

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome to forum, etc..
    seems like you have received some pretty decent advice already.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    You're actually pretty cool, n00b. Loved the "chanting doo-dah" line. Welcome.
    Thanks for the welcome battlefields, Colin. And I want to be cool for many years to come... hence the need to defend myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last