Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 2:02pm

Style: Boxing, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Let's see if Pacquiao will get by Bradley. I'm not certain he can, and I think Bradley will pull off the upset.

In either case, Martinez is a better match-up for Mayweather than Pacquiao. If Mayweather beats Martinez, I would have no compunction about declaring Mayweather the greatest of all time.

• Martinez is as fast as Mayweather
    • Martinez is stronger than Mayweather
    • Martinez is meaner than Mayweather

It's a fight that can happen, and it's a fight that should happen.
    You just said he's nowhere near GOAT and below SRR, Duran and JCC but if he beat Martinez he's suddenly GOAT? I love Martinez and I think he'd have a hell of a shot against Mayweather, but no way is he the guy through which the GOAT must go.

As for the fight, I think the judges had it right. Cotto was game and kept coming but what he took as far as bright spots was mostly only what Mayweather gave him. When Mayweather stood in front of him for a round, he looked good but the next round when Mayweather decided to move again he couldn't land. I didn't learn anything from this fight that I didn't already know, namely that anyone who is going to hang with PBF is going to have to be quicker than him (see first few rounds of Judah fight) at least some of the time and only Pac or Martinez have the speed and skill and pop to even have a chance. Sorry Khan fans, not him yet.

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 10:01am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wish cotto would have done something

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 10:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Mayweather has at least 3 months now to tweak his skills........in the prison shower!!!!! Ahahahahahaha. But I would like to see him take on paq.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2012 10:50am

Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does Martinez have the chops to get through Mayweather's defensive skills and score a knockout? I think if it went to decision, thats Money's game and he's going to pull it off no matter who he faces. Martinez's big upsets like over Paul Williams weren't really against defensive ring magician types.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2012 9:31am

Style: American Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://free4allsports.com/sidenews5.htmlCinco de Mayo Boxeo

Rocky Selassie

05-06-12

For boxing fans in America, Cinco de Mayo has become a date known for good drinking, partying and great boxing. This year’s festivities were headlined by Miguel Cotto and Floyd Mayweather for Cotto’s Super Welterweight Title. The stage was set for an Epic battle and the two combatants made sure to give the folks around the water cooler on Monday, something to talk about.

The co-main event was a match between WBC Light Middleweight Champ, Canelo Alvarez and future Hall of famer, Sugar Shane Mosley. After a 1st round feeling out process Alvarez began working his jab to outpoint Mosley. The 2nd rd saw Mosley come out forcing the action but Alvarez would have none of that. Still using his jab he began to follow up with rights and punishing shots to the body. In this same round Alvarez started utilizing his left hook while continuing to work the body at the tail end of his combos. This set the tone for the rest of the fight and in the end Alvarez would walk away with a unanimous decision, adding another notch in this belt and leaving Shane to ponder on whether or not boxing is still something he can do at 40.

The main event gave all boxing fans exactly what we wanted to see. An exciting and highly competitive fight between two of the greatest fighters of this era. The first 3 rounds were all Floyd as he came ou with his signature style of cautiously measuring his opponent and picking them apart with a sniper's accuracy. In the 4th round someone in Cotto’s corner must have lit a fire under his ass because he came out like a man on a mission and started to work on Floyd like nobody ever has in his career. For the next 6 rounds Cotto gave Floyd everything he has been looking for, attacking relentlessly and backing Floyd up. Floyd defensive technique and the way he uses his left shoulder is a thing of beauty and makes him nearly impossible to hit and has always frustrated opponents. Cotto would not be categorized as one of those men as he found away around that obstacle by side stepping after an attack and letting loose a hook that would find it’s mark more than once. Floyd would shake his head at Cotto after a flurry as to say “it was nothing” but slow motion replays showed plenty of blood and mucus flying out of his Snot locker after a series of punches that said otherwise. The 11th round was a toss up from my view but the 12th was Floyd’s round all day. Floyd suddenly looked comfortable for the first time since the early rounds of the fight and turned it on using his superior movement & accuracy to show why he is considered to be the best in the world. This was also the first round since the opening rounds that Cotto was forced to stalk and his desperation nearly cost him as he was leaned 3 different times by Floyd’s punches. Floyd would go on to win the fight via Unanimous decision much to the dismay of those in attendance In Vegas. But I can do nothing but applaud Both Combatants.

This was the type of test that Mayweather doubters and Boxing fans in general have been chomping at the bits to see. Most will say “Floyd is old” (at 35?) and that he may be losing a step. But I totally disagree. This fight was perfect for Floyd and to say anything negative in the form of excuse as to why he didn’t look the way he always does, takes away from Cotto as a fighter. The Miguel Cotto of 3 years ago would not have lasted against Floyd for more than 5 rds. The loss he took at the hands of Pac man and even the still controversial Loss to Margarito have definitely made him better. I’ve always respected these two fighters but their fight last Saturday made me a fan. This was a statement to anyone saying Boxing is dead and that it has become boring. I along with any fan who watched the fight strongly disagree and if you watch this fight for yourself you will see why.

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    5/11/2012 12:56pm

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to see Mayweather fight Pacquiao....finally.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 3:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post

• Martinez is as fast as Mayweather
    • Martinez is stronger than Mayweather
    • Martinez is meaner than Mayweather

Sure, but when people fight Martinez, they get to hit him every now and again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12