Posted On:
    5/05/2012 2:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mayweather vs Cotto

Main card
    =======
    Super Welterweight: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Miguel Cotto (c)
    Super Welterweight: Saul Alvarez (c) vs. Shane Mosley
    Light Welterweight: Jessie Vargas vs Steve Forbes
    Super Welterweight: Deandre Latimore vs Carlos Quintana

Preliminary card
    ============
    Welterweight: Keith Thurman vs Brandon Hoskins
    Featherweight: Braulio Santos vs Juan Sandoval
    Lightweight: Jeffrey Fontanez vs Benna Acaba
    Lightweight: Omar Figueroa vs Robbie Cannon
    Welterweight: Antonio Orozco vs Dillet Frederick

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    5/05/2012 2:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol at 2 champions (same weightclass) on the same card. One is WBA, the other is WBC. Another showing of how worthless belts in boxing are at the moment.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2012 3:01pm

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Lol at 2 champions (same weightclass) on the same card. One is WBA, the other is WBC. Another showing of how worthless belts in boxing are at the moment.
    Haha the only thing that really matters is the ring title and rankings. This is a cool card though. The first time I saw Alvarez he was on the undercard of the Mayweather Mosley fight. Come a long way. Any predictions? I'm thinking mayweather and Alvarez win. I would like to see Moseley end with another W though. Poor guys wife has all his money

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2012 12:16pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not going to lie. I came here to gloat. Yes, Mayweather beat Cotto, but he showed how absolutely beatable he is. Here's what I said about a winning strategy against Mayweather:

Castillo won rounds by pressuring Mayweather, and taking the fight to the inside. He was able to beat Castillo in the rematch due to superior footwork — but Mayweather no longer has this advantage anymore. Instead, he makes due with coaxing his opponents into the pocket, then feeding them with the jab.

Anyone who beats Mayweather will need to know how to fight on the inside.
    Yes, Cotto didn't beat Mayweather — but he gave Mayweather hell over 12 rounds and busted up his nose pretty good. You know how he did it? The Castillo strategy all over again. Pressure Maweather, take him to the inside, manhandle him against the ropes.

Let's examine the prospect of a Mayweather-Martinez fight again. Martinez fights at 157lbs. Jr. Middleweight limit is 154lbs. This fight is doable, and would be the best possible fight in boxing — much better than Mayweather-Pacquiao.

Based on what I saw last night, I say Martinez is that much better than Mayweather. How do I know this? Let's just say a I've heard warning bells.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    5/06/2012 12:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Yes, Cotto didn't beat Mayweather — but he gave Mayweather hell over 12 rounds and busted up his nose pretty good. You know how he did it? The Castillo strategy all over again. Pressure Maweather, take him to the inside, manhandle him against the ropes.
    What fight were you watching?? That was a landslide victory for Mayweather. He was never even in trouble. Mayweather was toying with Cotto on several occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Let's examine the prospect of a Mayweather-Martinez fight again. Martinez fights at 157lbs. Jr. Middleweight limit is 154lbs. This fight is doable, and would be the best possible fight in boxing — much better than Mayweather-Pacquiao.

Based on what I saw last night, I say Martinez is that much better than Mayweather. How do I know this? Let's just say a I've heard warning bells.
    If you wanna hype up Martinez, go ahead, I support that. But putting him over Mayweather is ridiculous, especially after last night.

By the way, what you're saying about Floyd ("Oh yeah, look at the holes in his style, this next guy will be a nightmare matchup for Floyd"), has been said by many since he was 25-0. 20 Fights later... still undefeated. Suck it, haterz.
    Last edited by Tranquil Suit; 5/06/2012 12:39pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2012 12:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What fight were you watching?? That was a landslide victory for Mayweather. He was never even in trouble. Mayweather was toying with Cotto on several occasions.
    I scored it 116-112. So did Ring Magazine, and so did Scott Christ. In fact, go read your average newspaper and see what the consensus is: Floyd legitimately won, but it was far from a dominant performance.

If you wanna hype up Martinez, go ahead, I support that. But putting him over Mayweather is ridiculous, especially after last night.
    Cotto wasn't even ranked top P4P by Ring Magazine walking into that fight. Martinez is ranked #3, and is commonly considered at the same elite level as Pacquiao and Mayweather. He is also the Ring Magazine champion in a weight class he's undersized in.

If Cotto gave Mayweather hell, imagine what Martinez would do.

By the way, what you're saying about Floyd ("Oh yeah, look at the holes in his style, this next guy will be a nightmare matchup for Floyd"), has been said by many since he was 25-0. 20 Fights later... still undefeated. Suck it, haterz.
    I'm not a hater just realistic about Mayweather. Yes, he's elite, but he's nowhere near the GOAT. Certainly, he's not better than Sugar Ray Robinson, Roberto Duran, or even Julio Cesar Chavez.

I will, however, give kudos where kudos is due. This was an exciting fight, and Mayweather showed genuine class at the very end. More PPV mega events need to be this awesome.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/06/2012 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can someone for the love of fucking christ put larry merchant out of my misery? and while we're at it, can we also get rid of the twenty fucking commentators with no idea of what is going no and get two casters who know about boxing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2012 1:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really good fight though it's hard to care about Mayweather unless he fights Pacquiao.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2012 5:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ReadyEddy View Post
    Really good fight though it's hard to care about Mayweather unless he fights Pacquiao.
    Let's see if Pacquiao will get by Bradley. I'm not certain he can, and I think Bradley will pull off the upset.

In either case, Martinez is a better match-up for Mayweather than Pacquiao. If Mayweather beats Martinez, I would have no compunction about declaring Mayweather the greatest of all time.

• Martinez is as fast as Mayweather
    • Martinez is stronger than Mayweather
    • Martinez is meaner than Mayweather

It's a fight that can happen, and it's a fight that should happen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 1:56pm

Style: Boxing, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    can someone for the love of fucking christ put larry merchant out of my misery? and while we're at it, can we also get rid of the twenty fucking commentators with no idea of what is going no and get two casters who know about boxing?
    Man, unless you hear Colonel Bob Sheridan's call, you have nothing to complain about. I haven't heard so much nuthugging since Mayroga/Forrest II. It was UNBEARABLE.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast