Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Been lurking a while, competition question

hey everyone decided to join. my martial arts experience consists of wrestling in high school and karate classes since march of 2010 since i wasnt going to wrestle in college and wanted a new competitive outlet. i also wanted to learn effective self defense (never been in a lot of fights, but i thought it would be good to have.) found a dojo i like with a verifiable lineage (Kimura Shukokai in Pearl River, Ny,) but ive since realized what im really looking for is a competitive outlet. my school competes in tournaments, but they are point-sparring, which doesnt really appeal to me, as i want some level of realism in competition.
    Although there are no kyokushin schools in my area, i have seen kyokushin tournaments on youtube and thought that looks pretty cool, though competing in that style coming from a non-kyokushin background strikes me as possibly being a bad idea (though my school does practice continuous sparring.)
    There is also a BJJ/MMA style gym in my area i have considered changing to since I would get to grapple as well as strike, and they offer muay thai as well , which is trained with more aliveness. depending on how i liked my training and progressed there, i could look into competing in grappling or amateur muay thai.
    tl;dr former hs wrestler looking to compete in something again deciding between pursuing competition in karate or muay thai/bjj.

Style
    Akayama Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat121 View Post
    hey everyone decided to join. my martial arts experience consists of wrestling in high school and karate classes since march of 2010 since i wasnt going to wrestle in college and wanted a new competitive outlet. i also wanted to learn effective self defense (never been in a lot of fights, but i thought it would be good to have.) found a dojo i like with a verifiable lineage (Kimura Shukokai in Pearl River, Ny,) but ive since realized what im really looking for is a competitive outlet. my school competes in tournaments, but they are point-sparring, which doesnt really appeal to me, as i want some level of realism in competition.
    Although there are no kyokushin schools in my area, i have seen kyokushin tournaments on youtube and thought that looks pretty cool, though competing in that style coming from a non-kyokushin background strikes me as possibly being a bad idea (though my school does practice continuous sparring.)
    There is also a BJJ/MMA style gym in my area i have considered changing to since I would get to grapple as well as strike, and they offer muay thai as well , which is trained with more aliveness. depending on how i liked my training and progressed there, i could look into competing in grappling or amateur muay thai.
    tl;dr former hs wrestler looking to compete in something again deciding between pursuing competition in karate or muay thai/bjj.
    If you like where you are training, but just want more aliveness in your tournaments... You can compete outside of what your school normally does.
    My school doesn't do any tournaments or competitions. But I still do tournaments on my own accord.

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the site, Pat.
    The way it sounds to me, you have quite a few of the right ingredients already.
    A wrestling base is clearly universally useful. It also bodes well that you recognise the shortcomings that your current dojo might never be able to fill, though most Karate training is certainly useful in terms of basic flexibility and strength.

I may be a little biased, but I think that commencing training at the MMA school will not only broaden your martial horizons and become directly applicable to your current background, but it will also change your life.

Congratulations on your forward-thinking.

Style
    Striking/Grappling/Poking
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, **** all that ****.

Get into the motherfucking MMA gym and start trainin' hard and bussin' heads. You'll fucking fall in love from the progress you'll make, the competition and if you're lucky you'll train with decent motherfuckers and form a few friendships and **** (though I suppose this is the same with any martial arts place).

If you're a ************ that likes wrestling, then I imagine you'll take to the common
    BJJ/Muay Thai set up like wolf to a motherfucking bacon sandwich. Do that ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the answers, guys! i definitely think i will have to give the muay thai/bjj place a shot. while the staff and other students at my current dojo seem friendly and knowledgeable enough, i really dont see the point of training if you arent incorporating enough live full resistance work. the school i am looking at offers free trial classes, so it sounds like it is worth my while to stop by for one.