Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 4:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Where shall I train?

HI,

I was wondering if anyone could help me find a traditional training temple in china where I can study Kung Fu.
    I am from the UK and want to spend 6 months in china training very hard - I don't want to go to a very touristy site but what authentic hard training,

Please help!

Sam

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 4:56pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are you looking to get out of your training? Why China in particular?

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 5:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.dreaming-dragon.co.uk/

or ShaolinTempleUK ?

You need not go to China. China has long been here.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 5:45pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 5:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks so much for your replies -

I guess I am not 100% sure about going to China, I am 20 years old and would like to travel, but I also feel like I need to be pushed really hard in order to achieve the fitness I desire.
    I used to go weekly to Kung Fu here in the UK but found it hard to motivate myself as excuses were too easy.
    I have the idea that by travelling to China and going to an authentic temple I will be able to achieve my goals.

What do you guys think?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 6:35pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ukkungfu View Post
    Thanks so much for your replies -

I guess I am not 100% sure about going to China, I am 20 years old and would like to travel, but I also feel like I need to be pushed really hard in order to achieve the fitness I desire.
    I used to go weekly to Kung Fu here in the UK but found it hard to motivate myself as excuses were too easy.
    I have the idea that by travelling to China and going to an authentic temple I will be able to achieve my goals.

What do you guys think?
    I'm going to be frank with you. Please understand that I'm not trying to be insulting, just objective.

Your post above indicates that you lack the self discipline to train on a regular basis. Instead, like many before you, your hope is that a radical change in your environment will help you learn the self discipline necessary to get off your posterior and go train.

While this tends to work in the short term, mostly because you won't know anyone when you get there and will have little else to occupy your time besides training, eventually old habits tend to return because you addressed a symptom, rather than the cause, of the problem.

I assure you, you don't need to travel across the world to learn self discipline. You can do it where you live now, it's just more difficult because there are more distractions.

If you really want to become a student of any martial art, you will have to learn how to overcome those distractions at some point no matter where you live.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 8:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your reply,

I don't find it at all offensive but I think perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough.
    When I didn't want to train I was about 13 - 15 years of age. Since then I have had a total change in mindset - I now train 4 days a week and am getting physically and mentally fit.
    My way of doing this is by getting into a routine, this is why I say travel to china. - Here as far as I am aware, you can do a few lessons a week but long term full time schools aren't available (correct me if I am wrong) and I really would like to be trained in an authentic way, culture and all.

The thought that going to China will solve any personal barriers isn't what makes me want to go there. I know I have to fight those wherever I am.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 8:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mean the full time money grabbing schools?

No, unless you found the really great school you wouldn't be learning the culture nor kung fu.

Here are threads you should read:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115504
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77580
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97363
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97363

http://www.amazon.com/American-Shaol.../dp/1592402623

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/11/2012 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ukkungfu View Post
    Since then I have had a total change in mindset - I now train 4 days a week and am getting physically and mentally fit.
    My way of doing this is by getting into a routine, this is why I say travel to china. - Here as far as I am aware, you can do a few lessons a week but long term full time schools aren't available (correct me if I am wrong) and I really would like to be trained in an authentic way, culture and all.

The thought that going to China will solve any personal barriers isn't what makes me want to go there. I know I have to fight those wherever I am.
    If you cannot train without having an instructor watch you, then you have not learned self discipline yet.

The 'authentic' and historically verifiable luminaries of Chinese martial arts were mostly people with day jobs who trained daily in their spare time.

I'm talking about people in Qing era China as well as the modern day.

If you don't believe that a San Shou or Shuai Jiao champion from say, London or New York who trains on their own most days of the week doesn't have authentic Kung Fu because of where they live, or their ancestry, then you don't yet know what the term 'Kung Fu' means.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    5/11/2012 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, ukkungfu, if you want to go to China to take a trip and see the sites, go right ahead. If you want to train kung fu while you're there, it's as easy as going to a large park in a large city and checking out what's going on. There's no need to scrape along in a Communist Party-administered Disneyland for stupid white people. Plenty of important martial artists just hang a flag on a tree branch or in some corner of the larger parks and train people. But you can get that in the UK, US, or anywhere else as well.

It's not worth going to China to find The Deadly Real unless you already have some basics and an introduction from a teacher in your home country in-hand. Otherwise, you get ripped off by Shaolin knock-offs, or you get the same treatment and skills you'd get otherwise. It's very unlikely that as a beginner with no particular business in hand that some master is going to scoop you up into his bosom and train you from dusk till dawn in exchange for chores and money.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast