Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Introduction

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen View Post
    Good morning Everyone,

I've searched your forums for perspectives on Aikido and instructors for a while now and finally thought it was time to set up a profile and jump in.

I'm one of those annoyingly delusional TMA guys who thinks there's something do all that MA/Spirituality/Personal Growth Happy Happy Hippie BS. But then again, I'm also willing to admit that most dojos out there don't do themselves any favors by the way they train. So I'll try to stay mindful of the crowd when I make my posts.

I augment my training with a relatively obscure Shinto breathing exercise called Mitama Shizume, and I'm curious about the roll of mirror neurons in conflict resolution (note: not 'winning a fight')

I look forward to participating in the bloodbath....er.. discussion.

Peace,

~aspen.
    Welcome to Bullshido. We have no problem with hippie love children who understand that flowing with no resistance all the time does not impart practical martial skill.

It's the one who do think this that we try to educate. That or bludgeon them into submission. Whichever comes first.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you JNP. I certainly agree that there’s a lot of confusion out there, especially in the Aikido community regarding blending and martial applicability. That said, I certainly think there’s some martial value to not taking a hit if I have an option. Though certainly there’s a lot more to it than that to avoid ending up as a grease spot. Hehe.. what? Don’t they flow with the bludgeoning? :p

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That said, I certainly think there’s some martial value to not taking a hit if I have an option.
    Unfortunately, a lot of flowy martial artists train to avoid hits by practicing against intentional near-misses, a very similar-looking beast.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you JNP. I certainly agree that there’s a lot of confusion out there, especially in the Aikido community regarding blending and martial applicability. That said, I certainly think there’s some martial value to not taking a hit if I have an option. Though certainly there’s a lot more to it than that to avoid ending up as a grease spot. Hehe.. what? Don’t they flow with the bludgeoning? :p
    I agree. After all, my primary and secondary martial art have no striking in them whatsoever. I just hug men in pajamas.

Interestingly enough, after close to eleven years of BJJ and the fact that I'm 43, I have developed the both the sensitivity and the desire to redirect my sparring partner's attacks or aggression, rather than trying to meet them head on like I did in the past.

I guess it's no surprise that you become much more aware of small shifts in weight and position after a decade plus of grappling.

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the site aspen.

What type aikido?

Style
    Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Permalost - *nods* I can certainly see that. Especially since we’re generally not experts in striking, and we want to create a safe environment to train. But no question, if the practice doesn’t eventually progress to dealing with the kind of real sincere attacks you’re going to see out there. It can’t prepare you for them.

JNP – I can hear that. I didn’t have to have my bell rung too many times before I started getting curious about options. *nods* I can see how the experience (on the mat or standing) is going to support paying attention and perceiving information that was previously to subtle to be useful.

Style
    Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello hungryjoe, thank you. The post WWII ‘soft’ variety. Not striking the attacker if we can work our way to an advantageous position; using the movement, pins and throws to dissipate the aggression, maintaining a stress metabolizing state rather than mirroring their aggression. The head instructor at the Bellingham dojo where I trained was a student of Barrish (Kannagara Aikido.) The school I train at now has some different perspectives on the art, but I’m working to see the principles behind the differences.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JNP – I can hear that. I didn’t have to have my bell rung too many times before I started getting curious about options. *nods* I can see how the experience (on the mat or standing) is going to support paying attention and perceiving information that was previously to subtle to be useful.
    I would like to point out that the sensitivity I'm talking about came about from a eleven years of non-scripted and resistant sparring plus a fair amount of blood sweat and tears. The only compliance that occurred regularly was when we learn drilling moves/techniques before the randori portion of class.

Style
    Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *nods* That makes sense, if they're compliant then you're not dealing with the reality of your training partner, but with your ideas about what they (or you) 'should' be doing.

Page 2 of 2 First 12