Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 6:23am

Style: bjj, sca, armored combat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Report from Battle of the Nations

I will be posting a more detailed report soon, but here are some first impressions:

I just fought four days in a row at the Battle of the Nations, the "world championships of medieval armored combat" with TeamUSA, the first American team to compete in such an event. http://www.usaknights.org

First off, there was great camaraderie amongst the fighters of all nations, and much love for the US.

We had a very brief training/preparation time, what with a ruleset that was unfamiliar to most of us and armor requirements that exceeded what most of us were used to both in terms of protection and aesthetics. Our first matches were big learning experiences, but we learned very quickly and the announcer used a Polish word that means to learn like lightning to describe it.

We were very much like rugby players in a football game or boxers in MMA, but as I said, we learned quickly, and we were tough SOB boxers in MMA. It was actually kind of a relief to not be restricted by the SCA ruleset.

The armor protected us from injury, but there were some mean dents and damage to our helmets and armor.

The Russians are tough. They are professionals who train for this as a job and don't like to lose. There may have been some questionable officiating here or there but I can't personally speak for any of it.

One thing I will have to practice is dealing with kicking in this game. Punching, takedowns, and knockdowns are all stuff that I have some vague familiarity with, but kicking is a new animal to me.

It's pretty much the same story with attacks to the lower leg and tripping/leg sweeps.

The Russians and other nations have figured out how to put together armor that is light and still passes BotN regulations. I had to add about 30 lbs to my SCA armor weight to pass all the rules and protect myself. Some of our champions were hindered by the weight of their armor and it showed in our 1-on-1's.

There are tactics that the Russians and other teams have figured out for the battles of each size that we are starting to catch on to.

We won matches in every category except the "pro fights." We had a team advance in the 5-on-5's, we beat the Poles in one match in the 21-on-21's, and all three of our 1-on-1 champions advanced to the round of 16, two to the round of 8 (one dropped out due to injury), and one to the round of 4 (losing by only one point). When playing for points (one hit is one point, one knockdown is 3 pts, dropping your weapon costs you 10 pts) SCA skills came in very handy.

Despite the dents in my armor, no blow that hit me felt harder than some blows I have felt in the SCA.

I'd had a fear of massive traumatic injuries to my knees or spine, but I was really pretty invulnerable in that armor. I kind of want to say that I had a fear of going into combat and fighting these people who were far more experienced, and many of them bigger and heavier and stronger and meaner than, but really I didn't. At no point did I get putrefies in my stomach or an attack of nerves or did my mind wander out of the game. I was pretty much focused on the moment at hand in every battle, and did not hesitate to attack with the first action or reaction that my body came up with. As time goes by, I hope that my body will come up with more effective actions and reactions.

I did not knock anyone down (I think), but I stood up against some big guys, against multiple opponents, and was the last man standing on my team three times.

The rule stating that you must hold a weapon in your hand when fighting is pretty much the only thing that keeps some people from dropping their weapons to get a better grip on their opponents.

Analysis of the videos will reveal more observations. I will be posting my videos on my YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/captainzorkh

TeamUSA won the prize for "Best Team Debut" and one of our members wind "Best Protective Armor" with his blackened hardened steel suit made by Jeff Wasson http://www.wassonartistry.com

I think there is a future for this sport in the US. The halftime demo at the roller derby in Arizona was a big hit and every member of the team wants to do this more.

We formed a bond of brotherhood through this adventure. We are the first Americans ever to form a team and compete in this sport at this level, and we impressed a lot of people. The bonds forged here will last a lifetime. I, personally, have never felt a bond this close before.

Preparations for next year begin next week. Who's in?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2012 8:17pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a little highlight video I put together of TeamUSA at the Battle of the Nations...

http://youtu.be/qSYoSDXyyys

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 11:30am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very cool!

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 2:34pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That looks like insane fun.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2012 8:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Team USA is forming for 2013! Mandatory tryouts in Springfield, Illinois the weekend of September 26-30. Visit the website http://www.usaknight.org for more details.

This is year 2 for Team USA and we are looking to send 75 fighters (including alternates). There are singles bouts, 5-on-5's, 21-on-21's, and "all-on-all." Each category has its own rules and requirements. This will be a committment of time and money. It will require a type and level of fitness not many are used to. Each man is responsible for his own armor, weapons, and non-fighting clothes (all must be in documentable historical style). Armorers will need to get your orders soon. Costumers have more leeway, timewise, but he who hesitates is lost. A full suit and padding can cost from $2,500 - $6,000 or more, depending on style, materials and armorer. Weapons start at about $150 and go up to $450 and more, again depending on style and producer. There are some dealers who are giving discounts to team members and 100% committed aspirants.

Transportation, lodging, food, insurance, etc is also the responsibility of each individual, although like the armor and weapons, the team will organize to help find deals.

This is a great opportunity to represent the USA, travel to an exotic, far-away land, meet new and interesting people, and "kill" them! It could also be an opportunity to see how your martial art stacks up against top martial artists from around the world in this field. The Russians are no joke. Their fitness levels are insane, and they are very experienced at this type of battle. They won every category they competed in this year. We want to break that monopoly. Maybe you can help!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2012 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simon and Bam Bam said it was awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 2:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropic777 View Post
    Simon and Bam Bam said it was awesome.
    They were not wrong!

Incidentally, I got the date for the national practice/tournament/tryouts wrong, it's October 25 - 28 in Springfield, Il. The regional groups are having practices before then, to find out how to join, go to http://www.usaknights.org

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 2:06pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like LARPing on 'roids!

But in all seriousness, I've always felt that's where the evolution of warfare should've stopped right there.. Those big brawls looked epicly fun, thanks for sharing.
    Now if only the getup wasn't so expensive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 3:16pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captain zorikh View Post
    The Russians are tough. They are professionals who train for this as a job and don't like to lose. There may have been some questionable officiating here or there but I can't personally speak for any of it.
    Can you give some more information on this? Are they sponsored or do you mean they train a lot in their spare time?

A UK Battle of the Nations team is just getting started, and are probably at a similar stage as you guys were a year ago in terms of getting proto team together etc

Do you have any views on the training and the cross over to full contact? I am thinking that however the Russians and Polish train is probably the benchmark, did you get an idea of how they prepare?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2012 8:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ty5 View Post
    Can you give some more information on this? Are they sponsored or do you mean they train a lot in their spare time?

A UK Battle of the Nations team is just getting started, and are probably at a similar stage as you guys were a year ago in terms of getting proto team together etc

Do you have any views on the training and the cross over to full contact? I am thinking that however the Russians and Polish train is probably the benchmark, did you get an idea of how they prepare?
    I believe they are paid to train and fight. In Russia there are matches and tournaments like boxing or MMA here in the States.

There are videos of the Russian and Polish teams training. It's pretty intense stuff. It will take some time for me to find them again, and I have to run. Will post them soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast