Thread: Hello!

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello!

LA-area resident and a complete krav noob. Hooked and loving it. Going to do a bit of lurking while I get used to this place, but happy to be part of the community.

Cheers!

Style
    Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello! I only know about Krav Maga from shows like fight quest. What is the training like?

Style
    ALIVE!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome sunnycat!

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far? It's a lot of kickboxing! This seemed to disappoint one of the other noobs there because I guess he wanted to hop right into the stuff you hear about on TV, but I think this early on they're more concerned with making sure we understand fundamentals.

I've only been at it for a month or two. One of the more advanced students suggested crosstraining in brazilian jiu-jitsu or judo because they'll fill some of krav's gaps, and since BJJ is goddamn everywhere out here it's something I'll think about this summer.

I'd post a link to the school but I don't have enough posts. It's kravmagala.com.

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad that you're enjoying your training, and welcome to the site.

Style
    Boxing enthusiast
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always wanted to do Krav Maga but there are no gyms in my area, so it's boxing and muay thai for me

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So someone from krav invited me to come have a look at his muay thai classes, and after sitting in today, I've decided to give it a try. It looks closer to what I'm after (read: fighting) than what I see going on at krav.

His school's down in the OC, though, and I'm up in Valencia. Does anyone in the area have any recommendations? A little bit of hunting has turned up the following places, and barring any damning remarks I'll probably check them all out:

Ultimate Training Academy (bjmuta.com). Huge facility with an impressive resume, but some troubling reviews about pressure sales and contracts and how hard it is to quit. It's literally five minutes from my house so a glowing recommendation would basically make my day.

Gokor's (gokor.com). Great reputation, though my buddy's opinion was that it was not the most newbie-friendly place in the world, and I am definitely looking for a chill crowd.

Muay Thai School USA (muaythaischoolusa.com). Looks like a smaller school but they appear to take their **** pretty seriously.

Werdum Combat Team (werdumcombatteam.com). Close to my work, seems sharp as ****, can't find a negative word about it anywhere.

RCSOMA (rcsoma.com). Something about this place sets off alarms with me and I can't find a whole hell of a lot about the teacher that isn't written by a student, but I thought I'd list it in the very likely case that I'm just an idiot.

I'm willing to go up to an hour out but I'd rather not have to head into LA. I work in Venice so evening classes out that way are good too. Thanks in advance for any input.