Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 8:43pm

Style: Youtube-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    On a side note, are there any threads with funny stories about THAT guy?
    There is a awesome That Guy thread somewhere in the Depths of YMAS.

I LOL'd like crazy.

Saerch Funkshun Knob.

I would dig it up for you but I'm on my phone.

Tapatalk

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 9:00pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Beak View Post
    I would dig it up for you but I'm on my phone.
    Same here :P Better luck tomorrow IWM!
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    8/11/2012 3:09pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go to Judo off and on because of my crappy schedule. One day, a friend of mine who competes in strong-man competitions was telling me about this great judo place he went to. I had previously bragged about how I had choked out a black belt at this place, which of course he bragged about. I have never been totally sure I actually did choke him out, or he just gave it to me, because the guy is really big and strong.

So I went to practice and at the end of we played "sumo". My friend is a powerful guy, not very tall but the same weight as me, his being muscle and mine being about forty pounds of fat.

We line up, and he obviously wants to kick my ass. He's a xtian fundie and I'm a "lib" shall we say, so we argued about politics once and it got heated. I put on my game face and coach was a little wary "okay guys, this is just for fun". I'm thinking "yeah right".

Coach yells "go" and he heads straight at me, gives me a solid push and I turn into a complete noob and turn my back trying to run away because he's like an oncoming train. I stop and he comes up right on my back, fits in and my training kicks in. Beautiful hip throw. He goes flying out of the ring.

Thank god I have practiced that throw a thousand times.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 1:22pm

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been working at the same place for a while, got a new hire, bodybuilder about my height but outweighs me in muscle by about 60+ lbs. Im not that big of a guy, people usually dismiss me because of my small delicate asian frame, we get to talking one closing night and he finds out my two favorite hobbies. One of them being martial arts and what not ( i was doing Jujitsu at the time and had been doing it for about 6 months). He begs me to take him with, i imply that we may just end up sparring. Pridefully he says he outweighs me by a lot and he would not be very surprised if i could not submit him or take him on in standup because he did some boxing. A couple weeks roll by and we end up carpooling to my school. We usually start the class off with some bag work, then roll a little bit, then standup...whatever the instructor feels like. We end up partnering up, and i am a little nervous that his muscle and weight would get the best of me. We went for a one minute round.

Submitted him about 3-4 times.

Needless to say i did not rub it in his face, he gave me big props and we still hang to this day, very cool guy. We did end up standup standup sparring and he was not as good at boxing as i anticipated. I was very satisfied at the progress i made in as little as 6 months.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 1:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zen thread reminded me...

I picked up Heidi at her apartment. Her weird speedfreak boyfriend was there saying some **** as she climbed in the '72 Ford 150, sitting next to me, the driver. Next to her was Todd, a very strong guy (all hormones, he said in high school his buddies lifted weights and no one got as big as he - he lifted beers and joints), and next to him was Robert, an excon (but a nice guy, I mean wtf, his dad had his head chopped off by the Mexican Mafia and he and his brothers [who didn't look too much alike...] all were in and out of the jail or joint). So there were four of us in a big old pickup and Todd leaned back and put his arms along the top of the seat in back of us all.

Idiot speed freak makes some aggressive weird comment as we pull out, something we guess about Todd touching Heidi or something. We ignore him and drive four blocks to a sixplex apt to mow. We'd started working and suddenly Freak shows up and threatens to beat up Todd with a broom stick. Todd says bring it on. I jump on Freak and take away the stick. He jumps up and yelling, "Fucking karate bullshitter!" and other choice remarks, charges me throwing punches.

I step back into stance and just before I went to nail him in the groin with a front snap kick, the weirdest thing happens. My mind sez, "What am I going to do?" Other part of mind sez, "I dunno, let's see what he does." Then both parts of my mind kinda realized that there was a screen that was the picture of what was happening and said, "Oh, we are watching this like a movie, let's see what Pat does next because it's OBVIOUS that we aren't in charge, we're just watching and making comments." The commentators watched and approved of the snap kick and the way Freak fell to the ground.

And he dropped and stayed down and then the cops came and drug him off. And since then I've always known, that if push comes to shove, if the **** hits the fan, I don't need to think about what to do because I'm not really in charge. The conscious brain, the blabber mouth who has a comment about everything, the voice I thot was me is some bullshitter who just goes on and on. Some guy who lives way deep in here, some guy who doesn't get excited or say much, he's the one in charge, and he seems to have taken all those years of training and learned something. In this case he/I used the minimum technique to end the threat; Freak was dropped, but wasn't injured, and it was just like watching a movie.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 7:59am

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^
    Seems arbitrary how you do not consider the training as part of you. You consider your face, your intelligence, your hair & your other body parts as part of who you are and yet you do not consider the martial arts training as a part of the individual that is you.

Seems like intellectually dishonesty to me. Kind of like how some people consider who they are at work as not the "real" me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 10:26am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You gotta love these threads.
    Ever notice how its usually a lot of the same old codgers on here sharing their stories?

Ok..
    Rec league hockey fight story: I only have two and I'm pretty sure I've shared the kiddie-league one on here before. This is men's beer league stuff - serious business.
    I'm a goalie, so fisticuffs usually isn't part of my job on the ice, unless there's a third man in situation - which rarely happens in rec league games because we r supposed to be having fun, eh ?
    Its a regular old game, with my team leading 3-2 and the opposition is pushing in the final two minutes , trying to tie it up.
    Asshole winger on the other team crashes the net after I cover the puck up in the crease and purposely drives his knee into my head while pretending to trip over me.
    I'm certain he did it on purpose, because he knows I'm a hothead and wants to throw me off my game.
    Unfortunately, my d-men that night were a couple of wankers so , no back up.
    I get up, incensed, and shove the guy as he's starting to rise as well ( with a sarcastic grin on his face, no less).
    I'm like " You cocksucker..don't be a fucking prick "
    He replies " **** you !"
    Now I know that dropping the gloves is not to my best advantage, cuz goalie gear. But I've had enough of this dick, he's been slashing at me all night, poking me, now he knees me in the head. If my usual d-man Marc was there, he would have put this knob through the end boards in the 1st. But he's not, so I decide, screw it..
    When you fight in rec league its an automatic toss - no matter what your position. That's why your teammates don't want their goalies fighting. If I get tossed, the draw goes to center ice and the net gets turned around to face the end boards for the duration of the game ( making it harder, but not impossible, for the opposition to score with no goalie in net). There's less than two minutes left and I figure **** it, we're a better team, my d-men tonight are pussies, so I'm going to have at this guy.
    I toss my trapper and blocker to the ice , skate a quick circle and turn back towards asshole, and challenge him.
    " Let's go !"
    He looks at me incredulously..goalies just aren't supposed to behave this way !! Instead , we are supposed to lose our cool and take a two-minute slashing penalty - and hopefully yap off to the ref and receive an extra two for unsportsmanlike conduct.
    But not this goalie..I'm riled up now.
    Although dumbfounded, he drops his stick and mitts and assumes the position. He's a big guy, but I can tell he's one of these guys who counts on his size to keep him out of fights, not in them.
    I figure, with all this gear on my best strategy is to bull rush him into the boards/glass and try to pin him and land a few shots. So that's what I do..
    Full steam ahead I rush in and grapple his arms, trying to use my momentum to propel him back against the boards, on the way in he lands a couple of weak punches. No biggie, they're off the top of my head.
    Unfortunately, my strategy fails because with the big pads on my legs, I can't quite generate enough speed rushing in to get him all the way back into the boards. Meanwhile he's prying, trying to get his right arm free. So I decide to go for the oldest hockey-fight move in the book - the jersey. I reach around his neck and grab a handful of jersey and yank it - its not supposed to work against a seasoned fighter - right up over his stupid head ! I'm amazed it actually worked , this guy's an even bigger idiot than I thought lol
    So now he's blind and its tossin' time.
    I throw about three or four hooks, one of which is a nice solid punch. He's panicking a bit now, cuz I'm making him look bad. I can hear my teammates tapping their sticks and cheering me on " Yeah, Get 'im Shawny !"
    I'm in my glory, oh yeah..this is well worth getting tossed out of the game !
    Crack !
    He throws a blind punch and it actually hits pretty good.
    I figure, hell..I better end this while I'm still ahead. So I throw a couple more , wait until I land at least one solid, he tosses a couple of good ones, then wriggles his head out from under the jersey, his face is red, panicky - then I go for the takedown; reach up and under and basically just fall on top of him. I'm exhausted..
    The fight's over...one of my teammates pulls me up, the ref separates us. I feel bad because I know it was selfish, now my team is down a goalie for the remainder..
    Turns out alright though, because they fail to tie it up and we get the W.
    As usually proves to be the case, I see the guy at the rinkside bar afterwards and it turns out he's not really an asshole, just competitive, like me.
    We buy each other beers.
    " nice tossin' buddy.."
    " yah..nice tossin'"
    CLINK
    All's well that ends well.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 3:37pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first story that I heard, rather than starred in. This came from one of our KK bbs who trained under Benny Urquidez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_Urquidez) for a year in CA. This was some years ago, fit's about Benny and Bill Ryusaki, wo is now in his late 70s. Bill is from The Big Island of Hawaii and trained as teen in judo and Shotokan, then bb'd in Hawaiian kempo (newish name, I dunno what it was called in the 50s, just depends on school of the time, but it's the same guys) under William Chow and Marino Tiwanak after a group of Samoans beat him up and motivated him to learn more fighting skills than offered by Shotokan. He moved to the mainland and trained with Ed Parker in the late fifties and earned a bb in Kajukenbo from John Leoning in 1961. Bill is referred to a GM, grandmaster, having 6th or so dans in a couple arts (reportedly 7th in judo!?) and having his own school forever in CA. He's trained various Hollywood types, and Benny The Jet.

Benny and his first instructor, Bill Ryusaki, went to a tournament as spectators in LA. It was a nonsmoking venue, but a large obnoxious fellow sitting behind them lit up. Bill turned around and told the fellow that this was a no smoking venue and would he please put the ciggie out. The fellow said, "**** you." And blew smoke in Bill's face. The crux of this story is Benny's inability to act. He thought to himself, if I intervene, I'm saying that Bill's lost it as an old man and can't handle himself; I'll be insulting the Grand Master, a champion who awarded me my first black belt. On the other hand, if the fellow nails Bill, I'm an idiot for letting my old instructor, who frankly is old and not in the best fighting shape, get hurt. So Benny Urquidez, holder of numerous kickboxing championships, sits there thinking... Meanwhile, Bill stands up and turns toward the fellow, who also stands up, ready to fight. As the big fellow starts to move, Bill throws a short quick punch to the large fellow's solar plexus, KO! So Bill sits down, and the security guys drag off the large fellow. And Benny is very relieved.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 8/24/2012 3:42pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 2:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oldie, but goody?
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    OK, here's black belt skills put to the test on the d3adly street, and karate works, dudes.

I went to a music festival Sat. at a ski resort. The staff had told us that Marge (Marge and Ted own Beaver Mt resort) asked that anyone who wants to smoke, smoke out in the parking lot, maybe 40 yards from the event. Now I know them; Marge and Ted had picked us up a couple years ago when we'd done the backside on cross country gear and got out late and couldn't get a ride back to the resort. They were driving home and saw us and pulled over and asked if we were ok and gave one of my kids a ride back up to the resort to pick up our car - we were miles away, having ski'd untracked snow out of bounds from the top lift. They are really nice old folks who give a damn. So I respect them and their wishes.

So all is cool and I'm a little buzzed and dancing away in front of the stage (Elmor James type slide blues band and a young honey or two gave me hugs - I was in heaven). The set ends and this bearded guy about thirty (and thirty years younger than I) lites up a ciggie. I tell him that that isn't cool and he just waves at me and keeps smoking. So I take the ciggie out of his mouth and put it out with my fingers and put it on the stage. He says, "Hey, I've never seen anyone do that!" And I being friendly still, say that once I did the same thing to a smoker who lit up at a Grateful Dead show and got about twenty feet cleared out around me on a crowded floor 'cause I use a little too much force. In that case I didn't hit the guy but I kinda did a couple moves - that moron had actually blown smoke in my face after I asked him to put it out - and that kid freaked. Do a little kata around some wise ass kid and they freak, go figure. OK, maybe I was snapping multiple back fists 1/2 inch from his nose, but I didn't hit him.

Anyway then bearded person says I'd better watch it because he was here with a crowd and he kinda got in my face all agro. My first thought was to kick him in the teeth, but sanity (a little) ruled as I didn't want to go to jail. So I used Hawaiian Kempo instead of Kyokushinkai. I goosed his unit - not hard, just a nice fondling pinch of balls and dick. He jumped back rather quickly and I was pissed enough to say, "You want to **** with me?" Not a chance... He was done for.

I'd wager that he never lights up where he shouldn't or takes an old fart lightly again.

It's funny how obvious it is when someone has never been punched. I learned real young in Hawaii not to wise off as I got my ass handed to me, without effort on the other guy's part (4 moron high school dopes vs one guy who knew how to fight), when I was a teen and I hopefully learned to keep my mouth shut and show some respect. Bearded clown had never had his teeth loosened and it showed.
    from http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...58#post2221858

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 10:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obnoxious smokers are the worst and deserve whatever they get IMO.
    I can attest to the truth of this as an obnoxious ex-smoker.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast