Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2012 11:56am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=IHZ;2697530]No, actually, he swung at my face a couple of time, he never really got a clean shot at my face. I noticed the cut the following day when looking at my face in the mirror. The difference was that he was actually trying to hit me, I wasn't I told him the first time that I wanted no hits to the face, but he was just angry and by that point I didn't care if he managed to get me in the face. I just wanted to make my point across without kicking his ass. Because it turned from friendly sparring to "who's got the biggest dick" and I didn't want to be seriously involved in something like this. I do admit it was stupid of me to simply overlook my own safety just to prove a point, as I said, I don't actually feel proud of any of this, I just found it very funny.[/QUOTE

There's no point in pulling something like an elbow to the neck against a n00b, even in class they will assume that it was a strike and not realize that you pulled it.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2012 11:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    This is retarded on so many levels it's hard to know where to begin...

But i'll try!

Sandy's or Sandy Beach is one of the most dangerous beaches in the world, even on small days.
    ("Note: Sandy Beach has the highest incidence of neck and back injuries in the islands, and probably the nation!"
    http://www.hisurfadvisory.com/stuff/shorebrk.htm#sandys)

That you injured yourself on a rock at a beach called "Sandy's" would lead me to believe you are the last person who should teaching anyone anything there.
    My HS buddy is a guard there, i'll send him your pic so he knows to get the back-board ready.

Oh, I"m sure he's talking about the area to the left - I've hit rocks there, and that's where all my friends got fucked up, opening chins, knees etc.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2012 12:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kurt King vs Yukio Kono Sensei (4th Dan Shorinji, now in Kyokushin last I heard). One of the best old school karate sparring I've been privileged to witness.

It was sparring night at the U Kajukenbo dojo, the one at the PE building with big windows that had attracted every spare BB on campus. Kurt, who like most of us was going from Kaju to KK as Del took over the school, soon got his BB in KK, and took the Utah kickboxing championship. He was probably the best BB, amongst many in a big school. He'd started after I, but when testing together for green the judges gave him brown... jerk.

Yuki and Kurt went at it with out any gloves or anything except maybe cups, like we all did in the 70s. Yuki threw a roundhouse and Kurt nailed it hard and Yuki hopped around saying, "Good block, good block!" Yuki then threw a flying front kick; big powerful leaping move, driving really fast and hard. Kurt again made a hard block, but this time, while in midair, Yuki threw the OTHER foot, quick as could be. Kurt took it square on the chest and it lifted him up in the air and he landed on his butt with his legs spread and slid across the hardwood floor several feet. Kurt jumped up with a smile and bowed deeply saying, "Arigato sensei, arigato sensei!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2012 9:24pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    I got back in the surf yesterday for the first time in a month. I'd wiped out with my boogie board hanging on the leash, on my back with my pants pulled down to my knees, skimming the fucking shallow rocks at Pohoiki! I knew that if I bent to pull up my fucking shorts my ass would be sliced to **** by the reef. SURE WISH I WAS WEARING MY TIGHT BLACK SPEEDOS! Instinct, and went into survival mode, flipped over dug my feet (had fins of course) into the rocks and got the hell outside tootsweet. Had to avoid the water as I'd opened up a bad gash on the back of my heel. The scratches down my back and ass weren't too bad...

One summer ALL my friends got cut up at Sandy Beach, all except me. So Muerteds, I'll be on O'ahu for turkey day vacation, wanna throwdown? Or I could just give you body surfing lessons (drink beer and watch, it's much safer).

Quote Originally Posted by [B]ChenPengFi[/B]
    This is retarded on so many levels it's hard to know where to begin...

But i'll try!

Sandy's or Sandy Beach is one of the most dangerous beaches in the world, even on small days.
    ("Note: Sandy Beach has the highest incidence of neck and back injuries in the islands, and probably the nation!"
    http://www.hisurfadvisory.com/stuff/shorebrk.htm#sandys)

That you injured yourself on a rock at a beach called "Sandy's" would lead me to believe you are the last person who should teaching anyone anything there.
    My HS buddy is a guard there, i'll send him your pic so he knows to get the back-board ready.

Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    Oh, I"m sure he's talking about the area to the left - I've hit rocks there, and that's where all my friends got fucked up, opening chins, knees etc.
    Pat, a Turkey Day throwdown, beer-down, and body-surf-down all sound like a wonderful plan. I have a fairly open work schedule, so just let me know what works for you. I can't surf for beans, which is why I play on boogie boards.

ChengPengFi don't like me none, that's why he doesn't want me shitting up his beaches :). But Sandy's (sure, I'll go with that spelling) is just a couple miles away from the house. My mom and daughter are in town, and wanted to play in something larger than Waikiki. Fortunately, it was fairly mild day for Sandy's, and yes, we stayed off to the left. The waves had a good break very close in, so my daughter could get in some decent exposure while being tossed up onto the beach. My mother, adventurous sort that she is, managed to get a really good one a ways out with the local boys, and decided one of those was enough for her. :) They were all very nice, and made sure the old haole lady was fine (she was).

Posted On:
    6/19/2012 9:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muerteds View Post

ChengPengFi don't like me none, that's why he doesn't want me shitting up his beaches :).
    Doesn't have anything to do with like or dislike, i just call stupidity when i see it.

But Sandy's (sure, I'll go with that spelling) is just a couple miles away from the house. My mom and daughter are in town, and wanted to play in something larger than Waikiki.
    Stupid reasoning there, tourists are a liability at Sandy's, as are novices; especially novices who want to teach tourists.
    You know, blind leading the blind...

Fortunately, it was fairly mild day for Sandy's, and yes, we stayed off to the left.
    No such thing really, and you went in front of the people on hard boards and the rocks, where you're not supposed to be.

The waves had a good break very close in, so my daughter could get in some decent exposure while being tossed up onto the beach. My mother, adventurous sort that she is, managed to get a really good one a ways out with the local boys, and decided one of those was enough for her. :) They were all very nice, and made sure the old haole lady was fine (she was).
    You should have gone to Bellows/Waimanalo, plenty of power for visitors there in a much, much safer venue.
    One small mistake and your daughter or mom could have gone to the hospital, or worse.
    It happens all the time at Sandy's.
    I'm sure your ego and pride will prevent you from seeing the truth of this however.

I grew up bodysurfing that place, and i have no illusions about taking visitors there.
    It's just not gonna happen.

Posted On:
    6/19/2012 10:02pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being sober as sin on a Saturday night in the city is an exercise in hilarity. Drunks love to drop the shoulder in on me, they always have, I seem to have a look that invites people to test themselves. In the past it would be cause for my drunken self to ask belligerently, "what the **** is your problem?" then make myself their problem. Now I find myself turning around and chuckling to myself while staring straight in their eyes, not menacing, not trying to intimidate, just letting them know that I'm standing straight, solid and strong, while they are swaying and struggling. So far I've had no one want to take it further. Funny that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2012 4:05pm

Style: TKD, Boxing, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay well here are a few of my stories. they really opened my eyes to the differing tactics between trained and untrained people.

Heavy spar with an MMA friend

A friend and myself were hanging around school waiting for the All Region Orchestra results to be posted. We always talked about martial arts and sparring but we never got around too it, so being the bored idiot teenagers that we are, we went around back on the paved road and decided to have a bout, with another friend of mine as the referee. I was super nervous. Up until then, I had only trained in TKD, and had never actually had to use it outside of the dojo and my friend was trained in BJJ, TKD, and Some Judo ( so he had basically every base covered ).

The rules: Only open hand hits and kicks to face, no hits to groin, and don't try to actually hurt each other. Basically MMA sparring rules without the bone breaking.

We took our stances ( at the time, I was rocking some bastardized version of the traditional TKD mixed with a Krav Maga stance ), fist bumped and started. At first my nervousness was kicking in and I was afriad of getting fucked up badly, but as I ate a few punches and realized they didn't hurt too much ( either all my crunches had worked, or I was experiencing adrenaline, I will never know ) I softened up and started enjoying it. He punched me in the gut, I send a palm to his face. He smashes my thigh with a kick I push kick him back and deliver a superman palm. But as time went on he got more and more blows in and I got less. He had fight experience ( street and in the ring ) and I did not. When he saw an Opening he took it, and I wasn't used to that. Regrettably I turtled up into a guard as he continued to smash in my temples with slaps. If they were punches, I would be done.

End of round 1: Round 2 FIGHT!

Nothing really interesting the first part of this fight, but near the end we clinch up. I grab the back of his neck and start slamming knees into him as he just eats them. I stop for a split second ( not trying to kill eachother remember ) and he pushes me off, slams a fist into my gut and nearly takes my head off with a spinning hook kick. It was so close to taking my head off that his shoe lace actually tapped me in the eye a little bit. ****! The fear was back.

End of round 2: Final round fight!

I start off strong, running in and sending a flying sidekick his way, but he dodged it and comes at me from behind. I spin around and send a backpalm ( backfist ) towards him that stops him from advancing, dash in and smash his ribs with my body punches. I get him once, twice and he parries, comes in with the knee and smashes me and pushes me back. He follows up with a running muay thai style kick that basically destroys my leg. I felt like I just squatted 200 pounds with one leg. My movement is cut and he's still strong. He comes in with a few blows, I block and go for the clinch. I try to knee him again but he trips me up having seen that tactic before. It becomes a struggle, basically both of us wrestling trying to keep balance. My smartass decides I know a little more about grappling than he does and instead of disengaging I go for the judo sweep. Bad Idea. I get it and put him to the ground, but he grabs me and pulls me down as well. As we are falling I smash him in the face twice before landing. I struggle for the full mount and then he puts me into the BJJ guard and squeezes with all his might.

That's when I realized that I was now fighting a BJJ guy on the ground....I said screw it and tapped out. We both limped back into the school.

Yes, I did fight in a Cast

Okay, so the second story happened at Arkansas Governors school ( a distinguished one month summer camp thingy for the State's 400 best and brightest high school juniors at the time ). I happened to have broken my hand doing stupid **** earlier that year, and now had a cast on throughout AGS. I was in the dorms and the RA was telling this kid that I was a badass because I broke my hand with martial arts. I jokingly tell the kid I could be him even with the cast. He accepts the challenge to my surprise. My hand wasn't in any kind of pain and the cast basically kept it protected, so i went against my better judgement and said okay what the heck.

Rules as set down by him: We fight right in the cramped dorm hallways, and I'm only allowed to use my left hand ( the one without the cast, so I can hammer him on the head with the cast ), and my right leg. He thought that was fair considering I was a black belt. I accepted his challenge. I forgot to say no face shots, luckily I didn't regret not saying it.

I step back and take a stance and so does he ( surprisingly a decent one ) and we bump fists and go. Being untrained he didn't know how to wait for openings, but I wanted to size him up first. He comes and sends a straight right at my face. I dodge. He sends another left at me, I block. He does a combo, left right hook, I block and dodge them all. Apparently he's play fought before, I was surprised he wasn't launching haymakers. Just to show him I could I popped him once in the stomach. it didn't hurt him, but it showed him to get more serious. I playfully hop off of the wall and send some movie **** at him, throwing flying side kicks and high kicks at his face ( not intending to hit him ) as he fearfully backs off. Then I guess he gets desperate. He comes at me with punch after punch after punch all aimed at my face. I wasn't used to that, but strangely I wasn't afraid. I ducked and dodged and blocked them all, but my inability to use my other hand or foot was getting in the way of me actually countering. So I used my footwork to create some distance and smashed him right in the abs with a powerful round kick. He grimaces and lifts his shirt showing a huge red mark on his belly.

Ive got him now. I start doing more fancy ****, moving my arms around kind of like how I saw in a hapkido video . He says "i know what you're doing, your moving your arms around to distract me from your feet". The kid was smart I'll give him that. But not fast. I spun around and sent a sidekick straight into his ribs that ended the little "spar". And then I just said "Too bad you weren't fast enough to stop it. You just got beat by a kid with a cast"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2012 5:14pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanassassin View Post
    And then I just said "Too bad you weren't fast enough to stop it. You just got beat by a kid with a cast"
    You're so cool, dude. I wish I had been there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2012 6:02pm

Style: TKD, Boxing, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    lolololol I deserve this sarcasm. I was just making fun of him, but that line was very lame I admit

Posted On:
    6/23/2012 6:09pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    You actually read all that? I lost interest here:

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanassassin View Post
    A friend and myself were hanging around school waiting for the All Region Orchestra results to be posted.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast