Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    PDA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,019
    Style
    Grappling avec punches
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    To Ninja or not to Ninja that is the question before us

    So my son is 2yrs 4 months and I want to begin his training.
    He is too young to get too physical so im starting him off as I started, with movies!
    When i was 6yrs old my child minders husband was into martial arts movies so thats pretty much all I used to watch there which made me love the stuff.
    I went on Amazon to order the films I watched as a kid on DVD and to my delight allot of them are around 90p, films like Snake in Eagle Shadow, The big boss, Shaolin invincible sticks, Kung Fu Genius ect....

    Then I realised as I approached the 15 movie mark that there was something missing, something I had subconsciously removed from my childhood but actually played a large part in it THE NINJA!.

    Yep throughout the whole process I didnt look for any Ninja films despite the fact that they were my favourites for some time, Enter the Ninja, American Ninja 1/2/3, anything with Sho Kosugi and many many more.

    I had a ninja suit and everything.
    I believed everything that was bullshit, if it was bullshit about ninjas I believed it.

    So now im lost, should I spare my son this fantasy knowing all that I now know or should I break out the ninja and lets climb some trees and shoot darts.
    King without a crown

  2. #2
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    plasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,162
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    So my son is 2yrs 4 months and I want to begin his training.
    He is too young to get too physical so im starting him off as I started, with movies!
    When i was 6yrs old my child minders husband was into martial arts movies so thats pretty much all I used to watch there which made me love the stuff.
    I went on Amazon to order the films I watched as a kid on DVD and to my delight allot of them are around 90p, films like Snake in Eagle Shadow, The big boss, Shaolin invincible sticks, Kung Fu Genius ect....

    Then I realised as I approached the 15 movie mark that there was something missing, something I had subconsciously removed from my childhood but actually played a large part in it THE NINJA!.

    Yep throughout the whole process I didnt look for any Ninja films despite the fact that they were my favourites for some time, Enter the Ninja, American Ninja 1/2/3, anything with Sho Kosugi and many many more.

    I had a ninja suit and everything.
    I believed everything that was bullshit, if it was bullshit about ninjas I believed it.

    So now im lost, should I spare my son this fantasy knowing all that I now know or should I break out the ninja and lets climb some trees and shoot darts.
    Playing Ninja is fun and awesome. It only gets sad when a 30 year old overweight dude thinks it's real.

    Watch ninja movies, and sign him up for a tumbling class as soon as he is old enough.

  3. #3
    PDA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,019
    Style
    Grappling avec punches
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed Ninjas are far to much fun to deprive a child but I did think it was funny how I had some how been subconsciously programmed against them.
    King without a crown

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    737
    Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as dear old dad is there to set him straight about the time he learns the truth about Santa clause it should be no problem.

  5. #5
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,811
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't come crying to us when a ninja star falls out of your son's pocket and he gives you the "I learned it by watching you" routine.

  6. #6
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    2,529
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by <plasma> View Post
    Playing Ninja is fun and awesome. It only gets sad when a 30 year old overweight dude thinks it's real.

    Watch ninja movies, and sign him up for a tumbling class as soon as he is old enough.
    I don't think plasma's advice should taken here until he answers one question!
    Plasma as a college student did you or did you not organize a "Ninja Club" and then try to sneak up on all of them unseen during the clubs first meeting(failing horribly) ?

  7. #7
    Ulsteryank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    264
    Style
    MMA
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha I remember all those! From Ninja Turtles to Ninja Gaiden, and plastc katanas for your Halloween costumes that were fucked after one good bend after kendo-ing with your best bud. Think the line ended when you wanted to order smoke bombs out of Blackbelt Magazine. Who can deprive a youth of that?!

  8. #8
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    2,529
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsteryank View Post
    Ha I remember all those! From Ninja Turtles to Ninja Gaiden, and plastc katanas for your Halloween costumes that were fucked after one good bend after kendo-ing with your best bud. Think the line ended when you wanted to order smoke bombs out of Blackbelt Magazine. Who can deprive a youth of that?!
    1987 My greatest Christmas ever I got the *real full black gi with the face mask and hood.

  9. #9
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,811
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsteryank View Post
    Ha I remember all those! From Ninja Turtles to Ninja Gaiden, and plastc katanas for your Halloween costumes that were fucked after one good bend after kendo-ing with your best bud. Think the line ended when you wanted to order smoke bombs out of Blackbelt Magazine. Who can deprive a youth of that?!
    Teenage me saw a recipe for making smoke bombs in a copy of the Anarchist Cookbook that I bought in a headshop. Fortunately I never got around to cooking any of the pyrotechnic recipes.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    fountain valley
    Posts
    115
    Style
    shotokan karate, iaido
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    So my son is 2yrs 4 months and I want to begin his training.
    He is too young to get too physical so im starting him off as I started, with movies!
    When i was 6yrs old my child minders husband was into martial arts movies so thats pretty much all I used to watch there which made me love the stuff.
    I went on Amazon to order the films I watched as a kid on DVD and to my delight allot of them are around 90p, films like Snake in Eagle Shadow, The big boss, Shaolin invincible sticks, Kung Fu Genius ect....

    Then I realised as I approached the 15 movie mark that there was something missing, something I had subconsciously removed from my childhood but actually played a large part in it THE NINJA!.

    Yep throughout the whole process I didnt look for any Ninja films despite the fact that they were my favourites for some time, Enter the Ninja, American Ninja 1/2/3, anything with Sho Kosugi and many many more.

    I had a ninja suit and everything.
    I believed everything that was bullshit, if it was bullshit about ninjas I believed it.

    So now im lost, should I spare my son this fantasy knowing all that I now know or should I break out the ninja and lets climb some trees and shoot darts.
    My four year old is currently taking Karate and out of nowhere he told his sensei "I am a ninja" and to me as long as he doesn't feel he can go out and "destroy" anyone I don't care, he's a young boy who at this point in his life doesn't need his fantasy destroyed. I say let him enjoy it, as long as he's not harming anyone who cares :)

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO