Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2015 1:18pm

Style: Escrima, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Opinion of 10th planet Jiu Jitsu

Hey guys, here's my situation: In August I was hit by a rare autoimmune disease called anti-nmda receptor encephalitis. It really affected my memory and cognitive functions. The medication i was taking practically turned me into a zombie. Im unable to go back to school or work for about 2 years.

Recently they lowered my medication and Im somewhat able to function normally. I gained 30 pounds since August so I figured I would go back to martial arts to lose the weight i gained. After getting medical clearance I found a boxing gym 10 minutes away from my house but im unable to spar or do any of the contact stuff due to my medical condition. Boxing class is basically me jumping rope with some burpess thrown in for 45 minutes and hitting the heavy bag for another 45 minutes.

I'd like to do something more than a glorified cardio workout. I thought that I might try my hand at a grappling art since there's no striking. Judo/sambo/wrestling is a no go since I want to minimize my chance at getting a concussion so I'd like to have a go at bjj.

The Gracie barra and Brazillian Top Team in Montreal are a bit pricey and too far away. The other bjj place has great price but it's inisde a gym so I have to join the gym in order to join the bjj class. It's also a bit pricey. Their style is called Thai-jiu-Jitsu founded by a guy named Nigel Scantlebury? Never heard of him. Since im unable to work, im going to be leeching off my parents for the first time in a long time and im also not dropping my boxing class. So price is definitely an issue.

Then we have 10th planet jiu jitsu. Reasonable price, not too far away. I've heard that 10th planet is a gimmicky version of bjj. What's the general consensus on 10th planet jj? What are your experiences regarding 10th planet jj? Is it a suitable style for someone who has zero experience grappling?

Posted On:
    2/03/2015 2:07pm

Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu is to BJJ as Aikido is to JJJ/Judo. Basically it's a bunch of advanced, low percentage stuff that only really makes sense to learn once you already have a strong grappling base. Honestly I would just go with Judo or Sambo. Concussions are super rare, especially if you learn good ukemi and let your training partners know that you need to protect your head.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/03/2015 2:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal_wombat View Post
    Hey guys, here's my situation: In August I was hit by a rare autoimmune disease called anti-nmda receptor encephalitis. It really affected my memory and cognitive functions. The medication i was taking practically turned me into a zombie. Im unable to go back to school or work for about 2 years.

Recently they lowered my medication and Im somewhat able to function normally. I gained 30 pounds since August so I figured I would go back to martial arts to lose the weight i gained. After getting medical clearance I found a boxing gym 10 minutes away from my house but im unable to spar or do any of the contact stuff due to my medical condition. Boxing class is basically me jumping rope with some burpess thrown in for 45 minutes and hitting the heavy bag for another 45 minutes.

I'd like to do something more than a glorified cardio workout. I thought that I might try my hand at a grappling art since there's no striking. Judo/sambo/wrestling is a no go since I want to minimize my chance at getting a concussion so I'd like to have a go at bjj.

The Gracie barra and Brazillian Top Team in Montreal are a bit pricey and too far away. The other bjj place has great price but it's inisde a gym so I have to join the gym in order to join the bjj class. It's also a bit pricey. Their style is called Thai-jiu-Jitsu founded by a guy named Nigel Scantlebury? Never heard of him. Since im unable to work, im going to be leeching off my parents for the first time in a long time and im also not dropping my boxing class. So price is definitely an issue.

Then we have 10th planet jiu jitsu. Reasonable price, not too far away. I've heard that 10th planet is a gimmicky version of bjj. What's the general consensus on 10th planet jj? What are your experiences regarding 10th planet jj? Is it a suitable style for someone who has zero experience grappling?
    If you can get medial clearance for boxing, I'd think you could get it for Judo or Sambo. Getting thrown is pretty darned impactful...be sure to be very specific with your doctors.

For boxing, maybe try no head shots, that might liven things up.

BJJ is lower impact than Judo or Sambo overall. Be sure to check with your MD first, though.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2015 2:52pm

Style: Escrima, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. I'll be sure to clear the issue up with my doctor before starting another martial art. Another question about bjj does everyone start off a match by butt scooting? Is the black belt in the video below just an idiot who can't adapt his style

Posted On:
    2/03/2015 2:57pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, everyone starts standing, and you can throw your opponent or go for a takedown. Unfortunately, shitty guard pulling seems to be the current BJJ competition meta.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2015 3:15pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it fits your price range, its fine. I like gi bjj better, with my instructor then 10pl nogi, but its still fun. I still roll with them. They still try to get me in lock down and fail. You will learn a lot more jj with 10pl then you will not training.

Posted On:
    2/03/2015 3:21pm

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're talking about the 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu on Wellington in Verdun, right? I actually went there for about 3 months back when I was living in Montreal. It's a good club that's welcoming and helpful, but when i was there it didn't have many casuals and I spent the majority of my time there getting p0wned and stopped going after getting dropped on my head and getting concussed. Obviously when you start BJJ you're gonna spend the first year eating **** but I was getting straight up injured nearly every week. It's the kind of place where half the people have fingers and toes taped up and other stuff from going donkey kong. I went back to GAMMA afterwards (downtown by the McGill metro) and that was more my speed. They also had a deal for BJJ and kickboxing so you can get both in.

Posted On:
    2/03/2015 3:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh as a side note regarding the kind of BJJ taught by the 10th Planet - it's a mix of traditional BJJ with a couple of the crazier 10th Planet moves mixed in. So yes, you're getting some 'weird' stuff in there, but they don't ignore the bread and butter moves or drills by any means.

Posted On:
    2/03/2015 3:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    10th Planet is BJJ with Fancy names for stuff you see in BJJ at just about any other Gym.
    It is 100% no Gi.
    Its no better or no worse than normal old BJJ.
    It comes down to your instructor and what you can and are willing to put into it.
    Also they are use to dealing with pot heads so the side effects of your medicine will not be abnormal. (j/k)
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Posted On:
    2/03/2015 3:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal_wombat View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll be sure to clear the issue up with my doctor before starting another martial art. Another question about bjj does everyone start off a match by butt scooting? Is the black belt in the video below just an idiot who can't adapt his style
    Competition is started standing, but I doubt you will be competing much.
    Rolling is typically started on your knees.
    While you would learn a few take downs at 10th planet they don't focus on them and you can always pass on them till you get better. Since they don't spend too much time on them you won't be wasting your time or money to often by having to pass on them.
    Note BJJ is still a contact sport. You will still take the random knee/elbow/head butt/eye poke or what not. You still have two bodies that are resisting each other and doing things that are designed to hurt each other. You will at times being going 100% so plenty of hard hits happen by accident.
    That being said its more gentle compared to say Judo/Sambo/Boxing/Wrestling.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast