Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 10:37am

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I'm not familiar with baseball, so I had to look up the rules. It seems you send out 9 people out to bat, and 9 is more than 1, so yes it is a team sport when you are batting. Also while one person is batting, it looks like there can be some other guys from your team on the field at the bases.

I'm sorry you seem to have a little trouble grasping baseball. Please allow me to help you. It might help you understand the analogy being used here. In baseball one solitary person goes to the plate. Everybody else on the field is on the opposing team. The ONLY two people on that batter's team that are on the field at that time are a first base coach and a third base coach. Their whole job is to tell the batter where & what to hit with hand signals and whether or not they should continue running past the base or stop if indeed they do hit the ball.
    One person against nine opponents in the field. Yet that batter is part of a team. He can have a solid RBI & a high ERA, even win the Silver Sluggers Award because of his awesomeness at hitting the ball. But it won't mean **** if he is on a loosing team.

And just for a slight hi-jack it's 3 misses at the ball batter is out, next guy comes up to the plate and he hits a pop up that is caught before it hits the ground he is out, and 3 outs and the teams switch. The team on the field is now at bat. I hope that helps.

The point is, the team is made up of individuals each doing their own part trying to do their best to win as a team. Just like in wrestling. And BJJ.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't turn up to a baseball game on your own and expect to play. You can go to a BJJ tournament on your own and compete. Seriously, I've done it.

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 11:55am

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    You can't turn up to a baseball game on your own and expect to play. You can go to a BJJ tournament on your own and compete. Seriously, I've done it.
    Some sports require teams to compete, some require teams to train, some compete individually, some train individually.

BJJ requires a team (organization, school, group) to train an you compete individually. Not complicated.

Any time an individual became obsessed with himself and did not support he team, my wrestling coach invited them to go in the mat rooms alone and see how well their training went.

Solo martial art is a symptom of bullshido.

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 12:01pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for team competition, it is a great opportunity to measure the group effort put forth in that training environment. Did you push your teammates? Did you share your knowledge? Did everyone give 100%? How does your school compare? (can't judge school by your performance alone, too many other variables)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234