Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    You have to work the look. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The original question I had was if anyone else had encountered this belief. No if it was a valid one or not. (As it clearly isn't.)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's your OP crackfox. It reads like you find it funny anyone would consider BJJ a team sport and then you agree and disagree with Colin in degrees.

It's hard to pinpoint what you think is strange, funny or wrong. I know people that considered it like a track or swim meet.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, maybe it's not a "team sport", but it is a sport that requires a team of people to train and learn with.
    Last edited by Tramirezmma; 5/02/2012 1:01pm at . Reason: Spelling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ schools are often referred to as teams; we have Kaneohe Team, Team HK etc.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's both. There are trophies awarded to Teams with the best showing. I consider myself a part of Team Frostbite, and MABJJ Team Carlson Gracie. Sure there's only one of us on the mat at a time, but that doesn't, in my mind, invalidate the team concept.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I'm talking about a full on orgy.
    That's what I'm talkin' about too!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is not a team sport. PERIOD.

(button in upper right corner) Settings> (left menu under My Account) General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In MMA we are a team. And I think it is just nicer to train that way. Of course we also go in with cornermen and coaches so there is definatly more than one person in that fight.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, I've always had my Professor in my "corner" (just off the mat) yelling at me, coaching me along as I was competing. We train as a team. We work out as a team. You might compete individually, but everything else is pure teamwork. In my humble opinion, saying BJJ is not a team sport is exactly like saying wrestling is not a team sport.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So the other thread just seems to argue the semantics of what people mean by team sport: it's a 'team supportive sport', I'd say.

You need your 'team' to support you up until you compete.

You can compete as a 'team' as individuals.

You do not compete as a 'team' at the same time, so it would not be a 'team sport' in the same way Rugby is.

But, curious, is Baseball considered a 'team sport' when your side is batting? Or can you not separate just those elements to look at it as it's all-in-all a team competing both sides?

Maybe you could do a team battle on the mats, but there's a stop call like the kid's game 'Mr. Wolf' and you get to roll until the stop call goes off, then you have to stop: if you're still moving you're out and your opponent gets a point for his team and stays in. Once one of his team loses (sub or moving after stop call) your winning opponent goes against the new free opponent from the other team until THERE IS ONLY NONE, and one team is victorious!
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last