Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 11:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    I have a HUGE Japanese & Goshin Jujutsu background. I trained for 9 years in Japan. DO JUDO OR BJJ! There is a reason I am telling you that. I have used those two (plus Boxing) more than I have my JJJ training.
    j67ss, this is really all you need to know. JJJ'ers are typically quite poor at both grappling and striking in my experience. i look forward to reading your next post where you decide not to train at a JJJ place.

Posted On:
    5/12/2012 1:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: don't have one yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    I have a HUGE Japanese & Goshin Jujutsu background. I trained for 9 years in Japan. DO JUDO OR BJJ! There is a reason I am telling you that. I have used those two (plus Boxing) more than I have my JJJ training.
    Ten four, I got it! I'll take your word for it since you are well more experienced than me. So I was able to find two Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu schools in my area plus one other BJJ school affiliated with the Alliance Team and one Xtreem Jiu-Jitsu school operated by Benny Benavides. They all look great and they all seem to offer a Combative/Self Defense side of BJJ, with the exception of Xtreem. They don't mention it on their site. I will call to let them know about a visit for information and to look at their classes and participate. Here are the URL's. Let me know if you see any red flags. Thanks again!

http://relsongracieofelpaso.webs.com

http://www.relsongraciebjj-pretat.com/Home_Page.html

http://www.elpjiujitsu.com

http://xtreemjiujitsumma.com
    Last edited by j67ss; 5/12/2012 1:48pm at . Reason: Spelling

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 3:18am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't go wrong with a Relson school. I think the top link it the better choice here but both schools look good.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 2:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMHO, boxing is perfect for self-defense. You don't need to grapple to be effective and you don't need to expose yourself which is helpful if you're up against more than one attacker. Just maintain your distance with the footwork that you've learned and drop your attackers to the ground with well-placed punches.

You can also complement your boxing skills with close combat training. This is something that you can do at home.

For example, a kick to the groin is much better than a roundhouse kick to the head in real life. A punch to the solar plexus is better than trying to take down your attacker for an armbar.

Source: http://www.h2hcombattraining.com/close-combat-training

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 3:12am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihup View Post
    IMHO, boxing is perfect for self-defense. You don't need to grapple to be effective and you don't need to expose yourself which is helpful if you're up against more than one attacker. Just maintain your distance with the footwork that you've learned and drop your attackers to the ground with well-placed punches.

You can also complement your boxing skills with close combat training. This is something that you can do at home.

For example, a kick to the groin is much better than a roundhouse kick to the head in real life. A punch to the solar plexus is better than trying to take down your attacker for an armbar.

Source: http://www.h2hcombattraining.com/close-combat-training
    Good evening mihup, welcome to the site. What exactly are you a professor in?

Whilst you will get no arguement as to boxing being good for self defence, perfect is a big call. Also, perhaps you should rethink your stance on grappling. Have you ever tried punching someone in the solar plexus that was trying to take you down?
    Last edited by cualltaigh; 5/18/2012 3:14am at . Reason: Beer
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 6:15am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMHO, boxing is perfect for self-defense.
    Boxing is a great sport and many techniques will work to keep you from getting hit and such. The OP is working in law enforcement; how do you think his agency administrator will take it when this poor fellow is featured in some cellphone video on CNN, when 'it appears that' he is punching the **** out of someone?
    You don't need to grapple to be effective
    To be effective at what? How much research have you done in this area? How many physical encounters end up on the ground? How easy do you think it is to back-peddle and jab when you have been mounted and are flat on your back?

you don't need to expose yourself which is helpful if you're up against more than one attacker. Just maintain your distance with the footwork that you've learned and drop your attackers to the ground with well-placed punches.
    You must not have been around the same multiple-attackers I have dealt with. They do not line up to exchange jabs, hooks and crosses just to test their boxing skills. They punch, kick, tackle, choke, pin and use whatever weapon they happen to be carrying or whatever they can pick up.
    Really? Seriously? Do you really want to ride that train?
    For example, a kick to the groin is much better than a roundhouse kick to the head in real life.
    I totally agree with on this one point.
    A punch to the solar plexus is better than trying to take down your attacker for an armbar.
    Wow, I just don't see this working, unless the person attacking you is inept. Remember, the OP is a law enforcement officer and wants to focus on control tactics (joint manipulation, joint-locks, take-downs, and cuffing techniques), not punching people (unless there is no other option).
    Last edited by slamdunc; 5/18/2012 6:51am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 6:39am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

\
    Hi, welcome to the website. I'm not sure you noticed that this is a LEO based discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by OP
    I'm a LEO myself and looking to study a MA that will help me defend myself, my fellow LEO's my family or public.....snip.....LEO's you know the type and where I am getting at. Going home at the end of your shift is the goal.
    Groin kicks, pummeling and other such OFFENSIVE attacks can lead to him losing his job and a slim chance of him getting convicted of a crime.

Yeah, no.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/18/2012 6:43am at .

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 8:43am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Boxing is a great sport and many techniques will work to keep you from getting hit and such. The OP is working in law enforcement; how do you think his agency administrator will take it when this poor fellow is featured in some cellphone video on CNN, when 'it appears that' he is punching the **** out of someone?
    LOL, remember these gems? Imagine a cop doing that and being caught on video.

My god, this one still brings a tear to my eye: http://youtu.be/3nPIDRoFuPw

This is from a newscast but they put "Eye of the Tiger" in the background: http://youtu.be/FHG2Us4_Js4
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 9:02am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    LOL, remember these gems? Imagine a cop doing that and being caught on video.

My god, this one still brings a tear to my eye: http://youtu.be/3nPIDRoFuPw
    I always love to watch this video. Those two may think twice before accosting his gal again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 9:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What self defence tactic works?...

Tasers are known to work well. If your department issues them, the only fights you're liable to be in are the ones where you've fucked up and missed the chance to draw a superior weapon. Body armour also slants things massively in your favour. Getting one of your guys behind the bad guy, or even just flanking him, is a good tactic.

On stop and search, you don't want to be leaning into the driver's window. You see it all the time: People walking up to the guy's window and bending down where they couldn't possibly get their weapon and the driver could catch them totally flat footed.

Don't cross people's potential lines of fire either, if you can help it. That's another thing you see a lot. One guy lurking back at the cruiser and the other guy walking over to the perp more or less in front of him. One of you ought to be offset incase things go to shooty-land.

As for the actual fisticuffs side of things: Your training may include some self defence stuff. Admittedly police self defence training is crap but.... It was there, for what it's worth.

If you want something a bit more reliable ask the people you work with what they recommend. The quality and content of martial art training varies massively.

If they can't recommend anything.... I'd say take something like Judo or BJJ. Judo's certainly what I've got the most mileage out of. Just remember that throwing a guy hard onto the floor is likely to mess him up a little - so, you know, try not to do that.

#

It also has to be said that being built like a brick shithouse is a plus. People who are just going to go for striking don't much need it. People who are going to be wrestling around, people who are going to be on the job for hours... really do.

And aside from anything else, it helps intimidate the little guys so they don't start stuff in the first place.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast