Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 10:38am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    He's got a little technique, but that isn't the biggest factor. His aggressiveness is the biggest factor.
    Gotta have heart and a true desire to make it home to the family after work.

That may sound excessive and out of line, but what would you do if it were you? You can be the wolf or the sheep. It's your choice.
    It does not sound excessive to me, if you (as a LEO) are overly concerned about use of force complaints, you second guess yourself. Defend your life first, then defend your actions if necessary.
    Fortunately, he works for a Sheriff who understands the danger and makes sure his deputies' first priority is coming home. If there's fallout after the fact, they'll deal with it then.
    Your friend is blessed in this. I worked for three different Sheriffs, two of which had the backs of their Deputies, and the last one, not so much. He would throw you under a bus in half a second. The Chief I work for now is old-school, and I too, am blessed.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 3:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j67ss View Post
    The local San Soo school offers San Soo as a close quarter combative with ground work. I would need to swing by and look at several of their classes to see how "alive" their workouts are.
    Leave KFSS alone, 99/100 schools are pure craptastic larping.

My advice? find out where your fellow LEOs in the area do Judo & BJJ. & pick up a copy of STREET STOPPERS
    a little more info
    http://books.google.com/books/about/Street_Stoppers.html?id=ij7jrdjc8xYC

http://www.wimsblog.com/2009/09/inte...-mark-mireles/
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 5/03/2012 3:39pm at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/08/2012 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do Judo or BJJ.

DO NOT DO KUNG FU SAN SOO!

Aliveness has been covered so I will go on why I believe these are better for LEOs than so many RBSDSuperEliteTacticalSolutions BS. An LEOs job is to to protect and serve. Causing body harm is a means of last resort. Both Judo and BJJ offer many many ways of dealing with someon that doesn't cause any real harm. You train them against fully resisting partners who are probably in much better shape that the people you will be using them on. RBSD types think that you need to seriously maim or kill to be effective. To me those have a very small place in an LEOs arsenal. Hell even I can't go from 0 to KILL without consulting the ROE.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2012 5:23pm

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gezere makes a valid point for training in accordance with force continuim policy.

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 4:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: don't have one yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Do Judo or BJJ.

Aliveness has been covered so I will go on why I believe these are better for LEOs than so many RBSDSuperEliteTacticalSolutions BS. An LEOs job is to to protect and serve. Causing body harm is a means of last resort. Both Judo and BJJ offer many many ways of dealing with someon that doesn't cause any real harm. You train them against fully resisting partners who are probably in much better shape that the people you will be using them on. RBSD types think that you need to seriously maim or kill to be effective. To me those have a very small place in an LEOs arsenal. Hell even I can't go from 0 to KILL without consulting the ROE.
    Training against resisting partners is a plus because it is never the same.

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 4:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTedBear View Post
    Gezere makes a valid point for training in accordance with force continuim policy.
    Policy! Dhamm that word! LOL!

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 4:44am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Do Judo or BJJ.

@Gezere
    I was actually leaning towards more of a Japanese Jujutsu. Only because they seem to have plenty of strikes and joint/pain manipulation and enough ground work to make me well rounded. Not that BJJ is bad or lacking but I think (again a novice in the field of MA/Self Defense) it may lack in strikes and joint/pressure points for non compliant subjects. I am wanting to pay a visit to a couple of schools in my area. Here are the websites and let me know what you think. Thanks everyone.

http://www.saintsilver.com/ScorpionDojo/

http://www.shubukanryu.com/

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 5:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listen to Gezere.
    I'm not a LEO, but i've done MAs most of my life.
    There's a lot of baloney out there, even here where we have a school on what seems like every block.

There are many LEOs at my current BJJ school, even one of the coaches.
    Being able to get back up, or at least the better hand in a ground scuffle is an amazingly useful skill i'd imagine, for a LEO.

Mitigating damage during an arrest seems to be one way to avoid being in a hi-profile news story these days.
    I'd be pretty keen to stay off of the front pages myself; MAs like Judo and BJJ are far, far better suited for that scenario than the RBSD, d34dly kung fu, or finger/wrist locky JJs.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j67ss View Post
    @Gezere
    I was actually leaning towards more of a Japanese Jujutsu. Only because they seem to have plenty of strikes and joint/pain manipulation and enough ground work to make me well rounded. Not that BJJ is bad or lacking but I think (again a novice in the field of MA/Self Defense) it may lack in strikes and joint/pressure points for non compliant subjects. I am wanting to pay a visit to a couple of schools in my area. Here are the websites and let me know what you think. Thanks everyone.

http://www.saintsilver.com/ScorpionDojo/

http://www.shubukanryu.com/
    I have a HUGE Japanese & Goshin Jujutsu background. I trained for 9 years in Japan. DO JUDO OR BJJ! There is a reason I am telling you that. I have used those two (plus Boxing) more than I have my JJJ training.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 10:53pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may want to look into small circle jujutsu as well
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast