Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Third Man

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 8:34pm

Style: Isshin-Ryu Karate,JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Questions about Pil-sung Taekwondo and a local school

The other day I was talking to another student at my dojo about some local tournaments. When he told me about a tournament being held by one Master Gorino. The name rang a bell and then I remember driving by his school many times. Where he supposedly teaches a style called "Phil-sung Taekwondo." I looked up his school to if i could find a website or any videos. I found both.

His website:

http://gorinotaekwondo.com/master-gorino/

Video:

I don't know enough about Taekwondo and it's affiliated styles. So my questions are:

What is Pil-sung Taekwondo?
    How does it differ from traditional Taekwondo?
    Does his school or style signal any red flags or raise scents of bullshido?
    If so, are they trustworthy enough to host a fair and honest tournament?

Information on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    A warrior is not just a person who fights. A true warrior is a scholar, artist, philosopher, fierece combatant, child molester and a spiritual / wise person.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieWoopAss2 View Post
    What is Pil-sung Taekwondo?
    Pil Sung (or Pil Seung) means Certain Victory; it is the theme of Tae Kwon Do, not a style. It refers to one's dedication to the sport of Tae Kwon Do. Obviously, someone named their school Pil Sung, and can call it whatever they want for whatever reason, but it is what the sport is all about.
    I am recalling this from my WTF and AAU days, so there may be some degree of inaccuracy, but for the most part, I think I am on target.
    Last edited by slamdunc; 4/30/2012 10:04pm at .

The Third Man

Posted On:
    5/01/2012 8:56am

Style: Isshin-Ryu Karate,JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Pil Sung (or Pil Seung) means Certain Victory; it is the theme of Tae Kwon Do, not a style. It refers to one's dedication to the sport of Tae Kwon Do. Obviously, someone named their school Pil Sung, and can call it whatever they want for whatever reason, but it is what the sport is all about.
    I am recalling this from my WTF and AAU days, so there may be some degree of inaccuracy, but for the most part, I think I am on target.
    Alright great, sounds like he wanted a nice way to glitz up his school's name and image. What do you think about the school itself, you have opinion on that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    A warrior is not just a person who fights. A true warrior is a scholar, artist, philosopher, fierece combatant, child molester and a spiritual / wise person.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/01/2012 3:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieWoopAss2 View Post
    What do you think about the school itself, you have opinion on that?
    Without actually visiting the school, which is the only way to gauge anything, it is hard to tell with any degree of certainty. I am basing my opinion (and it is nothing more than that) on the video of this school's commercial.
    It seems typical of most Tae Kwon Do school advertising--bullet points & testimonials. From the training depicted on the video, it appears to be a traditional TKD school. Very good business model, good sport, youth & family programs, exercise, character building, self-defense, self-discipline, etc. No incredible claims, the one about changing your life in two weeks is a bit much, but also a bit vague. Bullshido, probably not; McDoJang, probably so.
    As for the school being "trustworthy enough to host a tournament", that is going to depend on other factors. Cliques, politics, sponsorships, the association that this school is affiliated with, and who they use for judges and officials will all matter.

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 8:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello C W A,

I am the owner of the school you are asking about. Pil-Sung Tae Kwon-Do is not a style, but as mentioned above, it is an "attitude". With all of the Tae Kwon-Do schools in my area, rather than trynig to glitz up my name, I wanted to add something to our name that would give an idea of our attitude. Without getting long-winded, Certain Victory, at my dojang, means we will find a "win" or victory in everything we do in life...win, lose or draw. It is about finding positives even when we are handed negatives.

I teach the original forms and style of Tae Kwon-Do developed by General Choi Hong Hi in 1955. I teach the "tradtional" style as opposed to the WTF (or sport) style. People who visit my dojang (and you are welcome to) think we do more than just Tae Kwon-Do when they watch a class, as we do more hand to hand and punching that a WTF style school. (not putting them down...just a different emphasis).

No school would admit they are full of bullshido or a McDojang as was indicated by slamdunc, but we hold to very strict testing procedures so as not to become a belt factory. You are welcome to watch pretests or actual tests.

As far as tournaments go, we compete at many different venues to give my students the opportunity to meet and compete with as many styles of martial arts as possible. My event is an invitational open tournament. It is "open" because we include many styles. It is "invitational" because we want top quality competitors whose instructors are interested in keeping the event fair and balanced. If you have any questions please call my school or have your instructor call.

I notice you are an Isshin-Ryu practioner. If you don't mind my asking, who do you train with? Rank? I hope you find the answers (biased though they may be) in this response. My doors are open to all, so stop in. I am always there. Good luck in your search for tournaments and in your martial art journey.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 12:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
    No school would admit they are full of bullshido or a McDojang as was indicated by slamdunc, but we hold to very strict testing procedures so as not to become a belt factory. You are welcome to watch pretests or actual tests.
    I hope I didn't offend you or your school MasterG; keep in mind that was a generalization. Also, keep in mind that I prefaced my post by saying that without actually visiting your school, it would be difficult to learn anything.

I spent six years (1983 - 1989) training in Tae Kwon Do under Han Cha Kyo (Universal Tae Kwon Do Federation) in Chicago. He was old-school and had also studied with (as he was quick to point out,) not under General Choi. My rift was precipitated by the franchising and selling out to early WTF, which I was against. I earned my 2nd dan in that system, tolerated the politics as long as I could and went back to Kenpo and CMA.

I always loved Tae Kwon Do for the things that it was to me, and learned to hate the sport (and political structure) that it evolved into. We (the school), as a group, lived Pil Sung and adhered to the tenets of Tae Kwon Do; I just found a better way for me. Good luck in all that you do.
    Last edited by slamdunc; 5/04/2012 12:30pm at .

Posted On:
    5/06/2012 7:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A-OK

Hey Slamdunc...

No offense taken. Since the split of Tae Kwon-Do into ITF or WTF and other splinter organizations, a lot of inferior (if not unethical) schools have opened. Thankfully, alot of of those schools have since closed. Traditional Tae Kwon-Do schools took a black eye. We are very traditional and it sounds like your Tae Kwon-Do school was also. Keep training as there is nothing better in life than good martial arts. Best of luck to you to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2012 5:11pm

Style: TKD & JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See:

http://www.kidokwan.org/?page_id=888

Term popularized by Eun, Sang Ki
    Last edited by Earl Weiss; 9/30/2012 5:15pm at .