Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    255
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharon View Post
    I have a second place medal that I got for competing in a bracket of two. I'm not fealing all that warm and fuzzy about it. If you have ever felt the same what did you do with it?

    At the top of my list is to give it to my kids play with.

    My first year of wrestling, I had to wrestle varsity even though I had no prior experience. I lost all 8 or so of my matches that season, but was one of 3 wrestlers in my weight class who made grades in order to go to the city tourament. I was then crushed in 45 seconds or so by a senior who actually laughed mid match at my feeble single attempt, picked me up and carried me around, then asked for his coaches permission to pin me.

    Boom, bronze medal for me. I felt like you for a long time, but now I look at it as a reward for toughing out a season where I was just learning to throw a halfnelson, and for making my 2.0 GA when many others did not.

    In short, use it as motivation to get a shinier gold one the next time, that's what I did.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,575
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    . I was then crushed in 45 seconds or so by a senior who actually laughed mid match at my feeble single attempt, picked me up and carried me around, then asked for his coaches permission to pin me.
    Cool story. I'm just cringing thinking at the pain that senior would be in if he was on our team and did that to an opponent. Our coach would tear him a new one then the pain would begin. Many years later the thought I still dreadful!

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    255
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I felt it was unsporting, but seeing as how he made me his bitch, not a whole lot I could say.


    ch

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,575
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    I felt it was unsporting, but seeing as how he made me his bitch, not a whole lot I could say.


    ch
    Right call. Not a sport where talk is ever welcome.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    396
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You actually beat the 98 people that didn't show up.


    I think is was Woody Allen that said 90% of success is just showing up.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    FT Bliss, TX
    Posts
    155
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was a teenager and still doing TKD, I had signed up for a tourney to qualify for some "Junior Olympics" rubbish. When I got there, I was informed that they didn't have anyone in my weight and rank category....so I "won" a gold medal in each event that I had signed up for(poomse/forms and sparring). It was retarded as all hell. I still had to perform in the poomse event...but I could've farted on the judge's faces and I still would've received 1st place.

    My instructors tried their hardest to at least get me an exhibition match...so it wouldn't be a completely wasted trip and waste of my parents' money. The knuckle heads in charge, however, denied our request. I kept the medals, but was quick to inform people that they were undeservedly received.

    There was also another(and also my last) TKD tourney I went to that was nothing BUT exhibition. It was a whole bunch of black belts that didn't fall into each others division. I should have not placed at all in this tourney, but the powers that be decided everybody would get a 1st place trophy. Again, I was quick to inform people that I did not deserve it.

  7. #17
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    2,774
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    My first year of wrestling, I had to wrestle varsity even though I had no prior experience. I lost all 8 or so of my matches that season, but was one of 3 wrestlers in my weight class who made grades in order to go to the city tourament. I was then crushed in 45 seconds or so by a senior who actually laughed mid match at my feeble single attempt, picked me up and carried me around, then asked for his coaches permission to pin me.

    Boom, bronze medal for me. I felt like you for a long time, but now I look at it as a reward for toughing out a season where I was just learning to throw a halfnelson, and for making my 2.0 GA when many others did not.

    In short, use it as motivation to get a shinier gold one the next time, that's what I did.
    My wrestling career was one season... seventh grade. I weighed 67 lbs, promptly lost four lbs due to 5-day/week practice schedule. My lightest opponent was 74 lbs, the heaviest was 84 or so. Lost every match, two went past the first round, only the last one, against the 74 lber, was decided by points.

    No undeserved medals from me.

    Oh, wait, no. I "won" an orienteering meet in my division when the judge made a one-hour math error in my favor. I had also mis-punched my card, but covered it up successfully with the correct punch. Heh.
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

  8. #18
    Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    DKJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,214
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have medals and belts sitting in a box in my closet. Until I win at Black belt it's just been practice.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    240
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    I have medals and belts sitting in a box in my closet. Until I win at Black belt it's just been practice.
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    240
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've won a nationals medal in Chung do. At an ATF tournament in Montgomery AL, in sparring.. The trophy sits in my black hole of a storage unit.

    IMO if you keep your trophies and medals close by to gawk at, you subconsciously still have something to prove or have an ego problem. If you give them away, or store them, you have nothing to worry about...unless you own a gym and have to use those trophies and medals to market your gym for newcomers then that is a different story.

    Self satisfaction FTW.
    Last edited by Smackjack; 5/05/2012 9:04am at . Reason: Grammar nazi's

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO