Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 10:55am

Style: MARS, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking to start a gym, help a punker kid become a business man.

Hiya Guys!

I haven't had much time to post lately, mostly due to needing to work odd hours to make ends meet, but I've returned to see what advice my bretheren may be able to give.

So the deal is, my gym closed about a year ago, and I've been doing privates and semi-private classes with my teacher and the remaining members of the fight team since then. And while I relish the chance to keep learning...it's not working. My teacher can't do enough classes out of his house for me to feel like i'm getting adequate work, and how are we going to draw or keep newbies without a professional facility?

Joining another gym is not geographically feasible, and besides, my teacher still has much to teach myself and others. Also, I've got a fair amount of curriculum I was in charge of teaching to beginners that I'm not getting the chance to refine.

So....how do I start a gym? My teacher has agreed to teach his current classes (and hopefully more) and give me a percentage If I cover the business end. (That's why we failed, IMO. My instructor's business strategies and financial knowledge appeared to be insufficuent to keep us afloat in the area we are in, I believe I could do better, and he could concentrate on teaching.)

So I've got about $5,000 to $8,000 to put towards my dream, Omega, gym owners, random business owners, where do I start?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 11:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Specifically:

Where do I look for insurance?

What's to be expected in the business license process?

Where is a good lace to aquire mats and equipment at wholesale prices? I'm set up to order from combat sports, does anyone know where used equipment might be had?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 11:46am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too bad you're not a supporting member. There's a gym owners section for supporting members. I personally don't like to discuss these matters out in the open as I always get butt hurt students trying to lend their two cents, yet they have never owned their own business or run one themselves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 1:23pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nööb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Too bad you're not a supporting member. There's a gym owners section for supporting members. I personally don't like to discuss these matters out in the open as I always get butt hurt students trying to lend their two cents, yet they have never owned their own business or run one themselves.
    That's because you're a huge bully!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 1:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    What's a suporting membership cost? I'd do it for some advice from those in the know, I need to do this the right way if I'm going to pour my savings into it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 1:43pm

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PM me. I can give you some advice on marketing and such. Making money and actually running the school...from our bank account, I'd say I'm fuckin' clueless. lol But I'll help what I can if asked.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 1:50pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a lot of good info in the gym owners section, well worth the money to become a supporting member and access it if you are starting a gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 2:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Totally don't want to use PayPal for this, is that the only option, supporting members? You know an actual processing gateway (Authorize.net, is a good one.) would be like $10/month? Arg.

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 3:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    Totally don't want to use PayPal for this, is that the only option, supporting members? You know an actual processing gateway (Authorize.net, is a good one.) would be like $10/month? Arg.
    Don't even have a supporting membership yet, and already trying to change the place! Psh.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 4:21pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Supporting Membership is 20 bucks for a full year, isn't it? 10 bucks a month is a Sponsor account. PayPal rocks, man. I got my supporting membership with only about 10 or 20 posts the first time. It's worth it if you ask me.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast