Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 6:09am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Recommend me some good sticks! (UK)

Hi

I'm working on getting back into hitting people, and I'd like to resume hitting them with sticks.

However, I currently lack sticks, and my old South African answer of "half a broomstick" is probably frowned on over here.

So, who in the UK sells good sticks that I can trust not to shatter on me?

I'm specifically looking for Rattan Escrima-type sticks and ideally a 6ft staff (bo).

Halp?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Hi

However, I currently lack sticks, and my old South African answer of "half a broomstick" is probably frowned on over here.
    I have a friend who was using any kind of stick he could get his hands on. He just wanted to get comfortable grabbing anything and being able to use it. So the different lengths have to be adjusted for, on the spot. The main problem we have with the other sticks is that they break really easily and they vibrate really bad in the hands when you hit stick on stick.

Don't know where you get them from in the UK, but can you get cold steel sticks? I hear they are nice.

Otherwise, buy some in bulk and treat and harden them yourself.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 4:47pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to get my sticks from www.bloodsport.com. The place is run by Nick Papadakis of the Dog Brothers, and I've gotten direct feedback from him with my order and that's good in my book. Not sure if they ship to the UK but I don't see why not. They sell sticks designed for serious contact and training, and as such they sell rattan with the bark still on it (a lot of places sell lightweight "debarked" and laquered rattan that looks nice for performances but doesn't stand up to real training).

Or as Diesel suggested, you could try making your own. You may be able to pick up lengths of rattan at a wicker furniture supply place, then cut and process them how you want to. There's a wealth of info out there about how to do this. I'm hesitant to recommend the Cold Steel black eskrima sticks because I've read reviews where they've broken in half to reveal a hollow gas pocket inside the stick. They're also pretty heavy compared to rattan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2012 6:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info guys.

I'm probably going to have a look for some rattan lengths to make my own. As awesome as the KIL sticks are, they're a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2012 8:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.

I'm probably going to have a look for some rattan lengths to make my own. As awesome as the KIL sticks are, they're a bit out of my price range at the moment.
    Most of the Dog's say to get a **** load of them at first until you get your technique down. But once you get it down, you could be a pretty good resource for other local people to get sticks from.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 7:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For now I've ordered a pair of 28" and a pair of 32" Palasan sticks from these guys: http://www.eskrimador-supplies.com/

I intend to find a tyre to beat up once they arrive and I'll report back as to how they perform.

Posted On:
    5/12/2012 4:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Dog Brothers have alot of good sticks they probably would ship to the UK go to there website at dogbrothers dot com

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2012 7:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mider View Post
    The Dog Brothers have alot of good sticks they probably would ship to the UK go to there website at dogbrothers dot com
    He already said, in the post above yours, that he ordered some sticks.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2012 10:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That I did. And they appear to be pretty decent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 12:24pm

Style: Arnis de Mano

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone told me once that it was difficult to import sticks/weapons into the UK. Was there any difficulty getting yours?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast