Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 9:46am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My friend Dillon's first mma fight

My friend and training partner Dillon had his first (ameteur) mma fight in New Hampshire Friday night. We were analyzing his fight video just kind of checking out what he did right and wrong. Any critiques (No insults please, just constructive criticisms) would be helpful. thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...lqUfNBLMErj8Cw

EDIT: not positive if this is in the correct section, I'm sorry if it isn't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 5:26pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok,so with no idea of his training backgrouynd, and my experience is very limited to a couple of standup and club only sparring.

His backmount?? While i know he won with a RNC, near the end of the first round when he first got backmount?? He looked very uncomfortable/off balance. There are a number of good backmount vids about. Practicing setting it up so he is more stable and is able to launch better attacks from there,including striking, wouldn't necessarily be time wasted. After all, he did end up there twice, in that fight.

Standup. Really needs to learn to slip. Its instrictive to move straight back but i'm assuming he's been training to move to the side??,angles?? slipping??. He took a couple of straight blasts to the face ,(hands down),that he probably wants to avoid as much as poss.

Saw a couple of really nice simple reversals which he followed up with a nice GnP offensive straight away.

I'd say he should be reasonably happy with the fight and his performance,but also should be seeing a few basic areas to improve/work on.

So,hopefully you'll get some input from the vastly more experienced fighters on here.

Goodluck to him for the next fights.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 6:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the input, all very good points. As for the side to side movement and slipping, he is actually very elusive sparring, but alot of that was probably nerves, and getting hit without headgear on (still your definitely right, and we will work much more on that in the future).

And we will definitely work on his technique from back mount. He's the smallest one in our group, so he usually ends up fighting off his back and he is good at reversing positions even against bigger opponents (as you could see with the full mount reversals. on a side note, he was fighting up a weight class, and his opponent cut from 190 to make 170).

But you were definitely right and made several good points. thank you very much for the feedback.

EDIT: and as for his training background, he wrestled in high school, and had a few months of boxing training. He's been training with us for about a year, and our instructor has a background in judo, kyukushin karate, and used to compete in kickboxing matches in the city when he was younger.
    Last edited by risingphoenix73; 4/29/2012 6:24pm at . Reason: type-o

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 7:59pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. Couple of points then.

I train with a guy who's about 20 lbs heavier than me. I often end up in a back mount type situation. Why??? because he gives up his back deliberately. This does 2 things. It lets me practice back mounting and setting it up,and also allows him to practice reversing and defending from back mount.

Not sure if i can comment about the sparring really. Because he's a bit smaller then i'm guessing during sparring he's getting bigger guys up in his face a bit more,and because they are bigger,he's not able to really stand his ground. I tend to cover and move into/ slip to the side of my sparring partners because i'm not likely to get run down by them. But my trainer also tells me i need to move more lol. But covering/slipping and getting into the clinch range, and not just moving back?? . He cant move backwards as fast as the other guy can move forwards.

Anyways, goodluck to him.