Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 12:49am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks John so much, I have got Bas Rutten Dvd's and now I will get Gracie Combative DVD as soon as possible. We have mat and punching bag. One more thing we also have dogs but we don't have gun. It is very difficult to get a license for a gun in our state. But I will try to get a gun which don't need a license (but it only makes noise) as soon as possible.

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 1:07am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    The problem isn't necessarily Wing Chun as a style.
    Yes, it has been dead for awhile. It is why chunners, who train alive, tend to add boxing strategies to their art.

Lee did practice it, but did cross train due to its limitations.
    Okay, let's clarify this small wording issue. He trained other arts after he was no longer training the chun. He cross trained multiple arts and pretty much left the chun alone. Just so it isn't misconstrued that he was training the chun and cross training at the same time.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 4/30/2012 1:10am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 1:31am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you 'It is Fake' for the information.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 7:24am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    He trained other arts after he was no longer training the chun. He cross trained multiple arts and pretty much left the chun alone. Just so it isn't misconstrued that he was training the chun and cross training at the same time.
    That is the way I understood Lee's training, this was also the case with Bas Rutten, whose base art was Tae Kwon Do (then Kyokushin). He had long since outgrown the TKD when he began kickboxing and later developed his ground game by training catch wrestling.
    Even if a base style is limited in its usefulness, it provides a foundation of sorts. For a chunner to acknowledge that his art is not a complete system is difficult. I spent years believing that Kenpo (EPAK) was the best, most effective, all inclusive style out there. I found out the hard way that it was not and started looking elsewhere (boxing, wrestling, etc.) to round myself out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 10:06am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, it has been dead for awhile. It is why chunners, who train alive, tend to add boxing strategies to their art.

Okay, let's clarify this small wording issue. He trained other arts after he was no longer training the chun. He cross trained multiple arts and pretty much left the chun alone. Just so it isn't misconstrued that he was training the chun and cross training at the same time.
    IiF is famous for being a pedant on this board, which is a way of saying he is usually correct.

So yeah, basically, I was wrong on the interwebz. Not an unusual experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12