Thread: 'Sup

Style
    Water Polo/ Backpacking
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

'Sup

Hey guys. I don't really know where to start so I'll give a brief summary.
    I'm 17, been to Taekwondo schools for a long time. My parents made me go as a kid, thought it'd be good for me. My dad practiced Karate and Taekwondo and Hapkido and thought they were all good and fine for me. My first teacher was extremely cool, one of the rare Taekwondo teachers I've ever seen who was actually good, passionate, and dedicated. But, he had to move, his lack of English was dragging him down so he had to move to find work. I was 8 at the time.
    So my parents made me go to a new school, and the school gave me a black belt and whatnot in a year's time. I was stoked, being a black belt, I thought I was the coolest kid on the block. Being able to do crazy kicks and ****. Well, turns out this new teacher scammed the whole gym out of its money a year later. Many people payed up the ass and he ditched to Korea.
    Come a couple of years later a new teacher re-opens the place under the same name. He was possibly the worst thing to ever spawn in the history of the martial science. He made us do "Taekwondo Dancing", he let the kids play games all day. Little girls and fat kids got black belts within a year's time.
    Now here's the worst part, he needed English-speaking people to help him out. Me and a couple of guys got paid in twenties to help him with a lot of the little kids classes. Basically just babysitting under his supervision. Not illegal, just unethical to the max. Slowly people started dropping out until me and a Korean friend of mine (who was actually really good) were left.
    I stayed on this until I was about 15 and a half. Then I left, the money didn't matter, at the time I read a book called "Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", it had to deal with quality and metaphysics. Big concepts to me at the time, don't know why I was reading it. Then I looked at that gym, with it's absence of-no-it being full of anti-quality, if there is such a thing. I left disillusioned and tired.
    The only thing I do now is whatever Chinese martial arts drills and forms I learned from various schools I visited. Also, exercising and sparring with friends.

Here's the link for the school now if you want to see it:
    http://www.utofivestar.com/

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Are you interested in pursuing the martial arts any more? Can we help you find someplace to train that would be better suited to you? If so, a good place to start is to tell us what your goals are? Some examples are, self defense, physical fitness or cultural awareness/development?
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    Water Polo/ Backpacking
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks

I exercise a little, especially in swimming and water polo, but I've gotten motivation lately to start exercising a lot more and practice what techniques I know. I know some Wing Chun and Bagua movements which I find work well for me. And, I spar with my friends a little, but whenever I face a current practitioner, especially an aggressive person, I fail miserably.

There's one really good Wing Chun school near me, but I stopped going because of distance and time;
    http://www.yellowpages.com/garden-gr...n-kuen-4559073
    Right now I just am looking for a community to discuss techniques with, and maybe find a good judo or BJJ school with a schedule that suits me.