221993 Bullies, 4316 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 16
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. lordbd is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    878

    Posted On:
    4/27/2012 6:10pm


     Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Martial Arts and Meditation

    We all know that sports involve a mental game. As a psychologist I often use meditation or meditation-like practices (e.g. hypnosis; guided imagery) to help Ppl improve their mental health and even physical health. As a noob I'm curious if and how mental disciples are used by the fighters on the forums here.
  2. crappler is offline
    crappler's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,747

    Posted On:
    4/27/2012 7:17pm


     Style: Judo

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    We all know that sports involve a mental game. As a psychologist I often use meditation or meditation-like practices (e.g. hypnosis; guided imagery) to help Ppl improve their mental health and even physical health. As a noob I'm curious if and how mental disciples are used by the fighters on the forums here.
    I use constant continuous visualization. I imagine kicking people in the face who are sitting down when I walk by them. I imagine fighting and attacking people all the time while I am going through my day. That is mainly because I am insane, however, not because I am training myself mentally.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung
  3. blue-dragon is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    247

    Posted On:
    4/27/2012 7:46pm


     Style: Boxing and Moo Duk Kwan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fail to see the point here. Once when I was a noob I would imagine that if I would meditate like some grandmaster from some foreign land I would become a force to be feared. Time and experience has taught me otherwise, that actually training properly would work just fine.

    On a serious note a positive mindset should be something close to "just enough confidence to feel good about what your doing and just enough fear to keep you safe" If you have to meditate to get there so be it.
  4. vaquero de las nalgas is offline
    vaquero de las nalgas's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    PHX or thereabouts
    Posts
    834

    Posted On:
    4/27/2012 9:20pm


     Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    We all know that sports involve a mental game. As a psychologist I often use meditation or meditation-like practices (e.g. hypnosis; guided imagery) to help Ppl improve their mental health and even physical health. As a noob I'm curious if and how mental disciples are used by the fighters on the forums here.
    Where did he touch you? Can you show me on the doll?
  5. lordbd is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    878

    Posted On:
    4/27/2012 10:30pm


     Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blue-dragon View Post
    I fail to see the point here. Once when I was a noob I would imagine that if I would meditate like some grandmaster from some foreign land I would become a force to be feared. Time and experience has taught me otherwise, that actually training properly would work just fine.

    On a serious note a positive mindset should be something close to "just enough confidence to feel good about what your doing and just enough fear to keep you safe" If you have to meditate to get there so be it.
    I was thinking more in terms of improving focus and helping to get into that flow state that people talk about.
  6. shotfghter is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    192

    Posted On:
    4/27/2012 11:55pm


     Style: Street Focus Jiujitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJPv544LkL8

    There is a documentary called "In a single blow" with a Kendo dude named Eiga. Man, that is one of the most inspirational, most philosophical videos I have ever seen.

    That documentary showed me that the mind plays an important role more than any BJJ/Judo Video could ever show me. Somehow its always the Japanese who "Think" as well as fight.
  7. dflanmod is offline
    dflanmod's Avatar

    Welterweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    858

    Posted On:
    4/28/2012 2:03am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    I use constant continuous visualization. I imagine kicking people in the face who are sitting down when I walk by them. I imagine fighting and attacking people all the time while I am going through my day. That is mainly because I am insane, however, not because I am training myself mentally.
    You too huh?
    I'm standing in line at the bank thinking to myself... I throw an elbow to that guys fac, the kick that girl in the side of the knee and follow it up with a hair grab and downward punch to the face.

    Or, I wonder how fast the 60 year old lady in front of me would go out if I just decided to RNC her.
  8. ZenMMA is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    205

    Posted On:
    4/28/2012 4:31am


     Style: Muay Thai

    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was discussed in the "Zen in MMA Thread".

    The purpose of meditation is to relax your mind and body, if your mind and body are in a relaxed state then you tend to act in the moment rather than over thinking.
  9. lordbd is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    878

    Posted On:
    4/28/2012 7:39am


     Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think there is some good evidence out there that meditation practices do more than just relax you. Mindfulness practice might help improve ones ability to focus on some stimuli and ignore others. How this might apply to combat sports hasn't really been studied. A pretty good paper came out in '08 in the journal of clinical sport psych called 'Buddhas extra scoop.' Is my nerdness showing? Anyway my opinion is ki-fire-balls no. Improved attentional control yes.
  10. Vieux Normand is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,271

    Posted On:
    4/28/2012 9:01am

    Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotfghter View Post
    There is a documentary called "In a single blow"...that is one of the most inspirational, most philosophical videos I have ever seen.
    That should answer asscowboy's question from post # 4.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.