I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 7:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch_that_hurts View Post
    I am sure it is!... I guess what I am saying is that why do start a "new" set of rules, "martial art", etc. When the thing already exists... it seems a little odd to me and somewhat like a cop out...

If you want a proven combat sport and set of rules that involves kicking and punching (to the face) and grappling then why not go with something that already exists like Sambo or MMA? I just dont understand? Why reinvent the wheel?
    Sport Ju Jitsu has been around since the late 70's

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 7:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am sure it is!... I guess what I am saying is that why do start a "new" set of rules, "martial art", etc. When the thing already exists... it seems a little odd to me and somewhat like a cop out...

If you want a proven combat sport and set of rules that involves kicking and punching (to the face) and grappling then why not go with something that already exists like Sambo or MMA? I just dont understand? Why reinvent the wheel?
    Well, if everyone followed your advice, there would only be Judo, wrestling and boxing. Partial sarcasm, but you get my drift. Are there some co-op outs? Sure. The rules don't exist in ways everyone liked. Remember when the Gracies "quit" because the UFC decided no more 45 minute stalling matches? If you ask them, the rules were fine before the change.
    Still, BJJ which was a part of judo, created their own MA and rule sets. Kickboxing was basically a sport invention for Karate that had its own rules. So on and so forth.

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 8:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I get what your saying. It just seems to me that "sport jujitsu" is just a more padded form of karate point fighting and weak grappling based on the fact you have to where the pads... The matches I've seen seem a little weak IMHO. Now if you look at combat sambo and the like, it looks far more "alive". An I know it's just my taste but why do the the latter when the former exists? That said I also think karate point fighting is useless (only my opinion!!). Btw I uses to do a LOT of point fighting in the day!

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 9:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should try it before you knock it.

Combat Sambo also has pads and head gear in fact you can wear the same padding for either format.

The difference between the two is strikes to the face, intensity of striking and ground time limits.

The 30 second limit in ground time for SJJ was the idea that in a real life situation if the fight went to the ground you shoudl either finish it quick or get up.

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 9:42am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's some SJJ highlights

http://youtu.be/G0OprCc07Cw

I don't know how to embedd videos any more

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 9:53am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am all agitated now, I haven't done this type of sparring in a couple years and because of time and distance am only doing BJJ once or twice a week.

Arghh I miss this.

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 11:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'd love to train combat sambo over sjj. Can you find me a place in Burnaby or anywhere in the lower mainland? I've totally failed.
    On the other hand I know there have been sport matches around here before so I could probably find a place to train that

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 1:54pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    Here's some SJJ highlights

http://youtu.be/G0OprCc07Cw

I don't know how to embedd videos any more
    From that video it looks like SJJ has strikes to the face and doesn't stop the action when someone lands a punch or kick. So not really point fighting in the classical sense.

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 1:59pm

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    From that video it looks like SJJ has strikes to the face and doesn't stop the action when someone lands a punch or kick. So not really point fighting in the classical sense.
    Hand strikes to the sides of the face are legal iirc, just the front is prohibited. Kicks are ok anywhere and you can throw as hard as you like.

At the tournament I competed in I remember seeing 2 guys get carried off by the medics after taking particularly nasty throws.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 3:37pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Hand strikes to the sides of the face are legal iirc, just the front is prohibited. Kicks are ok anywhere and you can throw as hard as you like.

At the tournament I competed in I remember seeing 2 guys get carried off by the medics after taking particularly nasty throws.
    So you can hit someone in the face with a hook but not a jab? Having spent a lot of time boxing. That would really throw me.

I don't mind the 30 seconds on the ground rule. Reminds me of Judo and kind of forces the action a bit. Not saying it is better than an extended ground game, just different and kind of fun in a tournament format.

Still looks pretty cool but maybe not for me.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast