Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 1:15pm

Style: Aikido, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any Aiki Arts That Actually Work?

Okay, so I've been waddling about Aikido posts here on le Bullshido for a while now, and looks like there are some diligent Aiki experienced people here (for example, Colin). I personally realize that most of Aikido is not applicable in any real fight, and I've been trying to find some good BJJ here in Kenya to compliment my year long training in Aikido.

Basically, my question is, what do you experienced Aiki peeps that have used other, more proven styles (proper Krav, Boxing, JJ, BJJ, bunkai karate, MT) consider to be the most applicable form of Aiki based fighting? Is stuff like Jason Delucia's Combat Aikido good? Does Fujin Ryu have its head straight on in terms of live training, resistance and combat effectiveness? Is Yoshinkan the bomb? Is there any other Aikido style or derivative (or precursor) that's actually usable if **** gets real in a bar, street, etc.?

I know video learning isn't close to the real thing, but those are my options at the moment, I'm learning off Jason's stuff, a guy named Gary Boaz, checking out Fuji Ryu videos and generally working all that stuff (as best I can, often with super shitty results) against attacks typically found in Krav Maga situations.

My personal style of Aikido is whatever Chiba teaches under the Birankai umbrella, which I really liked when I was under a proper instructor, who left within a year of my training. The highest ranked guy we have now is a 3rd KYU, and he teaches sometimes. A lot of the time it's guys like me, who still have to learn a proper Ukemi, are teaching lessons to the absolute noobs. I'll be honest, I wouldn't learn from me, so why should I teach others? But our club does the best it can, the never give up spirit...unless it's raining, **** that. Rain blows man.

So that's my general question, is there Aiki-stuff based out there that's good? Fuji Ryu looked good, but I'm not a proper judge of styles or effectiveness at my level yet.

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 3:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk_ View Post
    Okay, so I've been waddling about Aikido posts here on le Bullshido for a while now, and looks like there are some diligent Aiki experienced people here (for example, Colin).
    Facepalm.

So that's my general question, is there Aiki-stuff based out there that's good? Fuji Ryu looked good, but I'm not a proper judge of styles or effectiveness at my level yet.
    Do Judo or BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 5:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Facepalm.

Do Judo or BJJ.
    I am getting my BJJ worked out, and I can do Krav or any other RBSD system. The issue is not other arts' effectiveness, I could also just carry a stun gun or knife. The question is about effective Aiki, just for the sake of effective Aiki. A lot of deadly **** we use today came from Aiki arts, would you have screwed with Takeda or Ueshiba back in there prime? Exactly. Where did their abilities go? Are there any arts that they practiced or schools that still keep that realism and ability intact? Dat's da queshion!!!!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The better a person gets at judo, the more they seem to use good blending and just enough force the way aikido espouses. However, this doesn't mean it looks more like aikido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 6:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    The better a person gets at judo, the more they seem to use good blending and just enough force the way aikido espouses. However, this doesn't mean it looks more like aikido.
    True enough. Conversely, the more "effective" Aikido gets, the more it looks like Judo. Or bad striking, basically, good Aikido either looks like sloppy Judo or loses its "graceful" form completely, as I've seen from the Jason Delucia vids.

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 6:09pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Milk_;2821291]A lot of deadly **** we use today came from Aiki arts, would you have screwed with Takeda or Ueshiba back in there prime?.[/00902985140QUOTE]

The answer to this is not as evident around here as you take it to be. I think a number of members of this site would take that challenge if they had time machine. They definitely would invite them to a throwdown. Even if someone is a legend you need to look at objective evidence to evaluate their skills as a martial artist and the value of their system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 6:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with you to a certain extent Mike. Ueshiba proved his mettle in the battlefield, mainly via bayonet fighting, which we can assume he translated off his spear training. I've never heard of any Takeda fights, so we can't verify the veracity of his actual combat prowess. If someone knows of any adventures Takeda had, please enlighten the thread. But we don't have to look at them strictly. A lot of their students went looking for street and bar fights, to test their Aiki skills (compare that to today, where getting black eye in Randori is the height of horror). There was a great master (his name has slipped my mind, could be Tomiki) that used to be a dojo buster. He was basically the Omega of Aikido. Now, the Aiki arts are many things to many people. Art, exercise, dance, meditation, tradition and study. And they're all catered for. But it's also about being able to kick ass using Aiki/ju principle, via effectively training and testing for combat. Who's catering for them I ask you? (rhetorically). Is the art truly lost? Is the old bad ass, fast, striking and effective grappling oriented system that Takeda and his contemporaries practiced actually dead now?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 6:34pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's not dead, it's on it's last legs. I know someone who's aikido sensei in Japan was nicknamed "the destroyer." He apparently had a penchant for dojo storming in his youth, and ko'd my sensei demonstrating a technique once. Sadly those people are few and far between these days. I remember once reading on bullshido that sometimes pacifists that are hard men take up hard effective styles that then become softer but still effective styles as they are influenced by the pacifistic philosophies of their pacifist teachers. Eventually soft men are drawn in by the idea that less aggressive=easy, and the art rots away from within. Aikido seems to have been hit by that hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 6:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And it hurts my heart so much that it has, there should be some sort of revival effort to get Aiki back on its legs. Judo went in the exact opposite direction, the art has nothing but credibility on its end, I feel jealous a bit as an Aiki guy. Maybe Ueshiba should've just kept his religious beliefs to himself, he opened this can of worms by going all peaceful on us. I understand old men can make it work and be peaceful and use less energy, but that philosophy screws with the younger gen that swallow that stuff. And we end up the way we are today. Anyway, any idea where these "last legs" of true Aiki stand or teach?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 7:03pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really. I know one guy who kind of fits the bill ( he has been teaching me judo), but his base is judo and wrestling and he competed in college-level judo as a black belt before he even knew that aikido existed. At this point, I kind of suspect that Aikido is beyond saving, and if you want a good jui-juitsu derived art, I would go for Judo, BJJ, or Sambo.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast