Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2012 12:36pm

Style: Still looking for one :)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sport Ju Jitsu

I recently found about Sport Ju Jitsu and was really curious about it, I found this place in Portsmouth (Gosport) UK. http://www.ukjujitsu.net/
    The questions I have since I only found out about sport jujitsu recently is:

Is sport ju jitsu a lighter version of MMA?
    The dojo I mentioned above is a member of http://www.bjjagb.com/ are they any good?
    And final and most important is sport ju jitsu (or the actual style this guy teaches to be more exact) any good?

Posted On:
    4/27/2012 1:03pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The full name is silly and the best thing about the web site is the music. So whatever.

This would scare me: http://ukjujitsu.com/lineage-chart.pdf

See how one of Martin Roger's instructors is a 10th Dan in... wait for it... Spirit Combat?

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    4/27/2012 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way that I understand it (at least in the U.S.), Sport Jujitsu is just a rule set under which various Jujitsu practitioners can compete. It's not a unique martial art; it's just a set of rules for running tournaments.

Posted On:
    4/27/2012 5:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry, you'll be fine. He is a genuine very high Dan Grade in Trad Ju Jitsu so focus on that. If you hear reference to Chinese Medicine theory factored in, ignore it.

I'm now outside the BJJA GB owing to some politicking last year.

As said, you'll be fine. Go for it.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 6:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by g3ost View Post
    Is sport ju jitsu a lighter version of MMA?
    More or less.
    The dojo I mentioned above is a member of http://www.bjjagb.com/ are they any good?
    It's no guarantee of quality or ability in anything non-fictional. Some individual clubs within it are all right to good.
    And final and most important is sport ju jitsu (or the actual style this guy teaches to be more exact) any good?
    It's alive, though under a slightly silly ruleset. What are your goals?

If I was in that area I'd probably train at http://www.gym01.com/ or http://www.kamonbjj.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 10:31pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the rule set for sport JJ?

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 11:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I am kinda new to the forum, BUT I ran into a guy the other week talking about just this. He seemed nice enough, but then started talking about his background a little... Master this, grandmaster that, healing arts, etc.

Then it dawned on my what his "lineage" was.... i.e. Leon Jay... you know the "hit you without touching dood"... anyways at this point i began the trolling... "So is sports jujitsu anything bjj?" "Are there any MMA guys that do sport jujitsu?", etc. It was pretty funny to hear the responses. There are probably guys out there that do something thats fairly "combative and live" but with these types being the game I'd be hesitant.

Besides, why do "sport jujitsu" when you can do Sambo or even dare I say a legit, MMA class with bjj/judo and boxing/muay thai guys?

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 11:54am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've fought under sport Ju Jitsu rules, I found the ruleset to be extremely restrictive, (punches to the face allowed, but not to the front of the face) also limited contact.

Edit: That said, I've only fought once, its the only competition I've ever fought in, and the guy would probably have beaten me handily even if I didn't keep punching him in the nose and losing points.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 1:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch_that_hurts View Post
    So I am kinda new to the forum, BUT I ran into a guy the other week talking about just this. He seemed nice enough, but then started talking about his background a little... Master this, grandmaster that, healing arts, etc.

Then it dawned on my what his "lineage" was.... i.e. Leon Jay... you know the "hit you without touching dood"... anyways at this point i began the trolling... "So is sports jujitsu anything bjj?" "Are there any MMA guys that do sport jujitsu?", etc. It was pretty funny to hear the responses. There are probably guys out there that do something thats fairly "combative and live" but with these types being the game I'd be hesitant.

Besides, why do "sport jujitsu" when you can do Sambo or even dare I say a legit, MMA class with bjj/judo and boxing/muay thai guys?
    Because its fun

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 4:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    Because its fun
    I am sure it is!... I guess what I am saying is that why do start a "new" set of rules, "martial art", etc. When the thing already exists... it seems a little odd to me and somewhat like a cop out...

If you want a proven combat sport and set of rules that involves kicking and punching (to the face) and grappling then why not go with something that already exists like Sambo or MMA? I just dont understand? Why reinvent the wheel?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast