232398 Bullies, 4076 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 33
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. g3ost is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Limassol, Cyprus
    Posts
    23

    Posted On:
    4/27/2012 12:36pm


     Style: Still looking for one :)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Sport Ju Jitsu

    I recently found about Sport Ju Jitsu and was really curious about it, I found this place in Portsmouth (Gosport) UK. http://www.ukjujitsu.net/
    The questions I have since I only found out about sport jujitsu recently is:

    Is sport ju jitsu a lighter version of MMA?
    The dojo I mentioned above is a member of http://www.bjjagb.com/ are they any good?
    And final and most important is sport ju jitsu (or the actual style this guy teaches to be more exact) any good?
  2. wetware is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,132

    Posted On:
    4/27/2012 1:03pm


     Style: BJJ/MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The full name is silly and the best thing about the web site is the music. So whatever.

    This would scare me: http://ukjujitsu.com/lineage-chart.pdf

    See how one of Martin Roger's instructors is a 10th Dan in... wait for it... Spirit Combat?
  3. Charles Brown is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island
    Posts
    241

    Posted On:
    4/27/2012 2:33pm

    supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way that I understand it (at least in the U.S.), Sport Jujitsu is just a rule set under which various Jujitsu practitioners can compete. It's not a unique martial art; it's just a set of rules for running tournaments.
  4. Eddie Hardon is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,502

    Posted On:
    4/27/2012 5:07pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry, you'll be fine. He is a genuine very high Dan Grade in Trad Ju Jitsu so focus on that. If you hear reference to Chinese Medicine theory factored in, ignore it.

    I'm now outside the BJJA GB owing to some politicking last year.

    As said, you'll be fine. Go for it.
  5. PointyShinyBurn is offline
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar

    Gnarly King of Half-Guard

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,221

    Posted On:
    4/29/2012 6:12pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by g3ost View Post
    Is sport ju jitsu a lighter version of MMA?
    More or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by g3ost View Post
    The dojo I mentioned above is a member of http://www.bjjagb.com/ are they any good?
    It's no guarantee of quality or ability in anything non-fictional. Some individual clubs within it are all right to good.
    Quote Originally Posted by g3ost View Post
    And final and most important is sport ju jitsu (or the actual style this guy teaches to be more exact) any good?
    It's alive, though under a slightly silly ruleset. What are your goals?

    If I was in that area I'd probably train at http://www.gym01.com/ or http://www.kamonbjj.com/
  6. BJMills is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    480

    Posted On:
    4/29/2012 10:31pm


     Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the rule set for sport JJ?
  7. Ouch_that_hurts is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6

    Posted On:
    6/03/2012 11:49am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I am kinda new to the forum, BUT I ran into a guy the other week talking about just this. He seemed nice enough, but then started talking about his background a little... Master this, grandmaster that, healing arts, etc.

    Then it dawned on my what his "lineage" was.... i.e. Leon Jay... you know the "hit you without touching dood"... anyways at this point i began the trolling... "So is sports jujitsu anything bjj?" "Are there any MMA guys that do sport jujitsu?", etc. It was pretty funny to hear the responses. There are probably guys out there that do something thats fairly "combative and live" but with these types being the game I'd be hesitant.

    Besides, why do "sport jujitsu" when you can do Sambo or even dare I say a legit, MMA class with bjj/judo and boxing/muay thai guys?
  8. Fuzzy is offline
    Fuzzy's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,014

    Posted On:
    6/03/2012 11:54am


     Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've fought under sport Ju Jitsu rules, I found the ruleset to be extremely restrictive, (punches to the face allowed, but not to the front of the face) also limited contact.

    Edit: That said, I've only fought once, its the only competition I've ever fought in, and the guy would probably have beaten me handily even if I didn't keep punching him in the nose and losing points.
  9. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,857

    Posted On:
    6/03/2012 1:57pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch_that_hurts View Post
    So I am kinda new to the forum, BUT I ran into a guy the other week talking about just this. He seemed nice enough, but then started talking about his background a little... Master this, grandmaster that, healing arts, etc.

    Then it dawned on my what his "lineage" was.... i.e. Leon Jay... you know the "hit you without touching dood"... anyways at this point i began the trolling... "So is sports jujitsu anything bjj?" "Are there any MMA guys that do sport jujitsu?", etc. It was pretty funny to hear the responses. There are probably guys out there that do something thats fairly "combative and live" but with these types being the game I'd be hesitant.

    Besides, why do "sport jujitsu" when you can do Sambo or even dare I say a legit, MMA class with bjj/judo and boxing/muay thai guys?
    Because its fun
  10. Ouch_that_hurts is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6

    Posted On:
    6/03/2012 4:56pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    Because its fun
    I am sure it is!... I guess what I am saying is that why do start a "new" set of rules, "martial art", etc. When the thing already exists... it seems a little odd to me and somewhat like a cop out...

    If you want a proven combat sport and set of rules that involves kicking and punching (to the face) and grappling then why not go with something that already exists like Sambo or MMA? I just dont understand? Why reinvent the wheel?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.