Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2012 3:36pm

Style: Sword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujutsuka desu View Post
    It's ok to block with the edge. As long as it's not edge on edge.
    Once again, this happens in some ryuha.
  2. FYT

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 6:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello, I'm a student at this particular school.
    So I'll try to clearify a few issues to the best of my current knowledge.

The Shin Tai Ryu continues a dutch tradition of jujutsu that was introduced to the Netherlands in the early 1900's by japanese teachers settling in Europe and the U.S.
    Teachings, predominantly based on the Tenjin Shinyō-ryū style.

As time progressed the Shin Tai Ryu made contact with traditional Koryu in Japan, such as the Nagao Ryu, Muhen Ryu and others.
    Several of our masters have since then travelled to Japan and eventually earned the Sho Sho Ryu Wa jutsu mokuroku for example.

After that the Shin Tai Ryu mirrored the traditional Koryu way of teaching as much as possible. (For example: you remain a carrier of the white belt untill you reach Ni-dan,and finally earn your black belt and hakama at San-dan)
    With the purpose of practicing bujutsu (jujutsu and bugujutsu) in a traditional fashion.
    Adjusting the dutch tradition to fit this "new" way. (Modified Katas)

So, NEXT to this main curriculum (of the dutch tradition) you're able to learn the original koryu bujutsu curricula of several other schools such as the Sho Sho or Muhen Ryu from qualified teachers inhouse, or you can choose to ignore the main and focus entirely on a chosen Koryu style.
    The Japanese Koryu curricula will however remain unchanged.

Of course there are also regular workshops hosted with external instructors specialized in specific styles, either to introduce or refine techniques.
    As for the student qualities, this depends on their individual level of commitment.
    There are no other shortcuts to the required skill levels besides time and effort.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 6:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The masters are graded in Sho Sho-ryu and yet the system is based on a different ryuha?
  4. FYT

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 6:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes,...
    I'm sure you too have done more than one fighting style in your life.
    Many people have done or are qualified to teach multiple styles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 7:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So it started out as Tenjin-based and then changed to Sho Sho-ryu?
  6. FYT

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 7:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No it remains Tenjin based.... and on different training days/hours can you be taught Sho Sho Ryu as a seperate style should you choose to.
    Occasionally we might get techniques from Sho Sho thrown in the mix..but all styles are taught seperatly

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 7:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the clarification. I have a friend who is ranked in Tenjin Shin'yo-ryu to comment. He may or he may not - as he rarely gets into such discussion on internet fora.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 7:42am

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FYT View Post
    Hello, I'm a student at this particular school.
    So I'll try to clearify a few issues to the best of my current knowledge.

The Shin Tai Ryu continues a dutch tradition of jujutsu that was introduced to the Netherlands in the early 1900's by japanese teachers
    What are the names of those Japanese jujutsu teachers? And which Dutchmen did they teach, and how are they in turn linked to mr. Sterke?

After that the Shin Tai Ryu mirrored the traditional Koryu way of teaching as much as possible. (For example: you remain a carrier of the white belt untill you reach Ni-dan,and finally earn your black belt and hakama at San-dan)
    With the purpose of practicing bujutsu (jujutsu and bugujutsu) in a traditional fashion.
    Adjusting the dutch tradition to fit this "new" way. (Modified Katas)
    if you know koryu, do you know what is strange about these statements?
  9. FYT

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 10:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moenstah View Post
    What are the names of those Japanese jujutsu teachers? And which Dutchmen did they teach, and how are they in turn linked to mr. Sterke?
    The Shin Tai Ryu continues a dutch tradition of jujutsu that was introduced to the Netherlands in the early 1900's by japanese teachers settling in Europe and the U.S.
    I'm speaking of Japanese teachers settling and introducing judo and Jujutsu in the west in GENERAL during this time period.
    Not that this tradition had a DIRECT Japanese link.

Being a dutch tradition means it started with Maurice van Nieuwenhuizen > C. van Unen > J. Horsten > M. Sterke. (so you can have your HA HA moments with this fact) but the Shin Tai Ryu branch had fully incorporated the Tenjin Shinyō-ryū over time in a legitimate manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Moenstah View Post
    if you know koryu, do you know what is strange about these statements?
    After that the Shin Tai Ryu mirrored the traditional Koryu way of teaching as much as possible.
    It doesnt claim that Shin Tai Ryu is Koryu itself, but that you can also learn real koryu systems there besides Shin Tai Ryu which is not Koryu but which teaches the dutch system LIKE a Koryu in japan would teach it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 12:41pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I expect great things from this thread.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast