Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2012 10:17am

Style: Sword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shin Tai Ryu

Didn't want to post this in the investigation forum yet as I am not sure of the facts so I thought I would punt it at you fine people for a second opinion. I have been watching a discussion on Facebook about a group who seems to teach a large amount of ko-ryu.

http://www.shintairyu.nl/NAvTK%20%28English%29.html

The discussion seems to have fizzled out with the main protagonists no longer posting so I don't think we are going to find out anything more from the people involved.

http://www.shintairyu.nl/Koryu%20Buj...bversie%29.pdf

This PDF suggests that they teach techniques from some big names in ko-ryu such as Katori, Kashima, Yagyu, Niten, Itto etcetera. Anyone know of this guys' experience level? Does he have licences in these arts? Or is it that there are others in the group that teach the individual arts as part of a whole?

A quick Google gave me a bunch of videos which, as I know a bit about iai/batto, fan the flames further:

http://www.youtube.com/user/marksterke

Ideas anyone?
    Last edited by Crazy Horse; 4/27/2012 10:22am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2012 5:21pm

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a nice link http://www.e-budo.com/forum/archive/...p/t-45568.html

As for this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0xCc0sHp9s you might notice that the distance between the swords is incorrect.

In that pdf he just mentions Niten, I know for an adamant fact that he has no official affiliation with the HNIR group of the Netherlands.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2012 1:31am

Style: Koryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know he has trained with Sho-sho ryu, but that's all I know. No ranks, nothing else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 11:49am

Style: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Heiho

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't tell from the context of the PDF if they are implying that they are the ones offering the training in the "Selection Programs" section, or if they would be hosting workshops with external instructors. It isn't completely uncommon to host instructors from other schools, we've had instructors of Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu and Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu visit the DC area over the last few years offering workshops/seminars on those styles. It would be impossible for any one person to have sufficient experience in all the arts listed to teach even basic technique.

With respect to Tamiya Ryu and Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu which are supposedly offered under their "Complete Programs" section, again it isn't immediately clear if it is implied that the same guy that conducts the Shin tai Ryu training is the same instructor for these other arts. Based on the videos that were posted to Youtube of the Shin Tai Ryu kenjutsu and iaijutsu, it doesn't appear that the students in those videos had much (if any) experience in either MJER or Tamiya Ryu. The technique isn't crisp, lacks the zanshin, and doesn't bear any semblance to the kind of taisabaki that is seen in MJER and Tamiya Ryu (of course no one on earth can really move like Kuroda Tetsuzan). I can't definitively say that they don't train in these arts, but based on the videos it seems that the students are either beginners or only train with a sword occasionally, or the instructor only has a very limited amount of experience in these arts and is teaching it more as a study group rather than an official dojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 2:31pm

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, according to a apparently no longer active affiliated dojo
    De academie organiseert regelmatig oefenbijeenkomsten in de oude krijgskunsten van Japan onder de naam 'Koryu Bu Jitsu Sensho' en zijn bedoelt voor iedereen die daarin is geïnteresseerd. Er is keuze uit 24 traditionele scholen (inclusief brochures) en 9 Shin T’ai Ryu Kata.
    transl.: The academy organises on a regular basis training/seminars in the old martial arts of Japan on the name 'koryu bu jitsu [sic] sensho' and are meant for anyone who's interested. There is a choice from 24 traditional schools (including brochures) and 9 shin t'ai ryu kata.*

This indicates that they pretend you can get traditional training from their long list of koryu, from which at least 3 so far in this thread have been identified as being of poor quality, or no affiliation.

About the Sho sho ryu, there is a nice piece of information here
    Dit is de eerste mokuroku (diploma) dat aan een buitenlander is verstrekt (juli 1986). Een mokuroku (links) bestaat uit een document en een envelop (rechts).
    transl.:
    This is the first mokuroku (diploma) that has been given to a foreigner (juli 1986). A mokuroku (left) consists of a document and an envelope (right).**

And finally, and that's how I first read about this guy, he used to be a ninja, sanada ryu shinobi blabla, and still occasionally gives seminars apparently:
    02.+03.06: Daito-Ryu-Aikijujutsu Limburgerhof
    07.+08.07: Nito-Jitsu/Heiho Niten-Ichi-Ryu Kenjutsu Tilburg (NL)
    01.+02.09: Hojo-Jitsu Limburgerhof
    10.+11.11: Sanada Ryu Shinobi Jitsu Limburgerhof
    Referent: Mark Sterke, Soke 'Godai Dotaiken' – Mitglied Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai (Japan),
    Bu Jitsu, 9 Dan – Meister in Sho Sho Ryu – Meister Muhen Yogan Ryu
    Co-Referent: Christian Wiederanders, Shihan, 7. Dan Tatsu-Ryu-Bushido
    source

Sterke was also discussed at this German forum: http://www.kampfkunstforum.de/index....utsushinkoryu/

*these kata are by their own admittance from after 2000, not that traditional actually.
    ** this is written in a bit of a misleading way, it implies he is the first foreigner ever to get a mokuroku certificate

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 3:32pm

Style: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Heiho

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I couldn't help but get a chuckle at one his books: http://www.lulu.com/shop/mark-wjm-st...EC7C5DA6CE0987

I'm willing to bet many of the techniques they are teaching are pulled from books, videos and other sources. I believe the "Nito kodachi" techniques are covered in this video:
    http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...roductid=27705

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2012 1:21pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I see people blocking with the sharp edge of the katana, it makes me cringe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2012 5:17pm

Style: Sword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vaquero de las nalgas View Post
    When I see people blocking with the sharp edge of the katana, it makes me cringe.
    There are plenty of ryuha that block with the edge. That 'you should only block with the shinogi-ji' thing makes me cringe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2012 9:29pm

Style: Akayama Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vaquero de las nalgas View Post
    It's ok to block with the edge. As long as it's not edge on edge.

Posted On:
    5/06/2012 1:25pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujutsuka desu View Post
    It's ok to block with the edge. As long as it's not edge on edge.
    Which is why my katana has a chip in it - as does the katana of my training partner of the day. Thank Christ we never struck each other!
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast