Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2012 7:05am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Yeah there's no points for taking someone's back in judo, and in competition you only need to hold out on one maybe two attempts by your opponent to turn you over before the ref stands you up.

I don't know if I would say I'm "comfortable" with it though. It's a crappy position to be in.
    Yeah, I know. That's why I want out of it :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2012 9:28am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    Thanks guys, going to watch those videos and try those things one by one when rolling.

A question for the Judo practicioners: the Turtle is a position you are very comfortable with, right? It's being used a lot more in Judo because there is no problem giving someone the back? That's what a Judoka I play with sometimes told me.
    I start a lot of newaza randori turtled, not because I want to be there but because if I am there I want to be able to get into better positions and the only way to get better at that is practice. While there are no points for taking the back in Judo while you are down there you are not winning and your vulnerable to an arsenal of turnovers, rolling armbars and chokes.

As an aside I think the ballsiest attack on a turtle I have ever watched is Isao Okano in the quarter finals of the '64 olympics (happens around 0:40)...

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 6:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, going to watch those videos and try those things one by one when rolling.

A question for the Judo practicioners: the Turtle is a position you are very comfortable with, right? It's being used a lot more in Judo because there is no problem giving someone the back? That's what a Judoka I play with sometimes told me.
    I'm not comfortable with it with anyone who is decent at Judo. Because they will be doing nasty things to me that are hard to escape from and tire me out.

Any judoka who says there is no problemgiving somene "the back" you should ignore on that point at least. In the sense that you can't score just by taking the back, OK, but in general, no, it's something to be very careful about.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 6:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I know. That's why I want out of it :)
    Train harder to not get into it in the first place along with the reversals/escapes etc.
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12