Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 10:07pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

One Arm and Working Out

I'm not sure if a thread like this already exists or not (I've looked and found nothing), so I'm just going to make it.

Like my username suggests, I only have one arm (missing my right forearm below the elbow). I was wondering if there is any way that I can do dead lift. I do have a prosthetic, but it has a slight bend at the joint, so trying to do a dead lift with it on feels like I'm gonna hyper-extend what is left of my elbow.

I was also wondering if it would be safe for me to do front squats. Thus far, I've been reluctant to try because I feel I need another hand to stabilize the bar.

Any suggestions?

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 10:36pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No suggestions from me, bro, but massive props to you.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 4:08pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no advice myself, but I know of a guy who is likely going to be a HUGE help and that makes me happy.

Check out Zach Moore here: http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/...s-Training-Log and http://zimoore.blogspot.com/

Zach is a very bright strength coach who is also without a right forearm, but he still trains quite hard. I don't know if he has specific advice posted for those in similar situations, but I would guess he would be willing to help

Dude is also a beast

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 4:13pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One handed deadlifts are doable. Look up one arm deadlift on youtube, there are a lot of entries. You could also give the hip belt squat a try.

Have you ever tried kettlebells? There are a great deal of one arm lifts available with them.

I don't know about the front squat exactly but you could probably do the zercher squat. Only thing that might be tricky is getting the bar loaded on your arms, I'd suggest a spotter or two while getting it figured out.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 5:30pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like overhead lifts with a kettlebell would be less of a balancing act for you to start with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 10:38am

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll experiment with your ideas and see what works best.

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 1:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are many different styles for one-armed deadlifts out there, possibly the most common one is also called the suitcase deadlift. My friend lost his left hand in bike accident has done those recently.

I tend to go more with the one-armed snatches, which seem to be a bit more popular.

Make sure you work on the one-legged squats and deads. I am not as much into the single leg good mornings though.