Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 12:24pm

Style: Muay Thai and BJJ(noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that so? Well then I'll have quite a bit to try out now. Thanks for the info once again this is all quite interesting stuff.

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 12:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMMA View Post
    Explosive strength
    Maximum Strength
    Core Strength
    Endurance Strength

When I think of strength those 4 things come to mind.

Explosive strength I associate with movement like Box jumps, Burpees, Clap push ups, Cleans,
    Maximum strenghth I associate with the basic compound lifts like Deadlift, Squat, Military ress and bench press, performed for a low rep count.
    Core Strength I associate with movements such as bicycle crunches, leg raises, isometric plank positions, walkouts,
    Endurance strength I associate with weighted movements performed for a high rep count.

A fighters routine should also include speed, agility and balance drills.

Isolation exercises for forearms/neck are also a good addition.
    That's an odd way of thinking about strength. You've got 3 kinds of strength (explosive, max, endurance) and 1 strength in a body part/region (core)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 10:27pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on what type of body weight exercises and what type of weight lifting. A good weight lifting program is better than a shitty body weight program and vice versa.

The most punishing and beneficial program I ever tried only worked variations on 5 movements. Squat, press, lunge, pull, and plank (in that order, as a circuit). Add in weights, twisting movements, and unstable surfaces like dynadiscs, and suddenly you are hitting everything from every angle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 10:43pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    That's an odd way of thinking about strength. You've got 3 kinds of strength (explosive, max, endurance) and 1 strength in a body part/region (core)
    I get why you'd make your point about the specific body part. But what Im assuming he means is that core strength is often times considered the cornerstone of all athletic movements, so unto itself it is pretty important, some people refer to it as stabilization strength.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 11:30pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    I get why you'd make your point about the specific body part. But what Im assuming he means is that core strength is often times considered the cornerstone of all athletic movements, so unto itself it is pretty important, some people refer to it as stabilization strength.
    Pretty much spot on.

I consider Core strength to be vital for combat training and the truth is a lot of people lack real core strength, I was a gym rat for years and loved bodybuilding, but my core strength was terrible and that effected my balance and agility, which are both key in combat sports.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2012 12:50am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a programme I recently put together.

I have to admit it is a lot harder to motivate myself for this type of training compared to bodybuilding, but its still a lot of fun if you keep the intensity up.

Variable Goals:
    Specific Number of Rounds Best Time
    AMRAP(As many reps as possibe) in 20 minutes
    Chipper - High rep target, chip away until complete

Maximum Strength - 1
    Explosive Strength - 1
    Core Strength - 1
    Muscular Endurance -1
    High Intensity Cardio - 1

Maximum Strength - 3 Reps 80% 1RM
    Dead Lift
    Bench Press
    Military Press
    Squat
    Rows

Explosive Strength - 6 Reps
    Horizontal Jump
    Vertical Jump / Knee Tuck
    Burpee
    Press Up Clap
    Press Up Medicine Ball
    Medicine Ball Slam
    Thrusters
    Clean
    Pull Ups
    Chin Ups
    Dips
    Kettlebell swing
    Kettle swing shoulder
    Kettle swing Chest
    Mountain Climbers
    Heavy Bag Roundhouse Kicks
    Heavy Bag Power Punches

Core Strength - 9 Reps
    Medicine ball/weighted sit up
    Walk outs hand
    Walk outs medicine ball
    Side Planks
    Plank
    Medicine ball plank
    Leg Raises
    Knee Raises
    Single leg Jack Knife (swiss ball)
    Jack Knife (Swiss Ball)
    Crunch
    Bicycle crunches
    Turkish stand ups
    1Arm/1 Leg
    Plate Raises
    1 leg Bent over rows
    Overhead squat
    Overhead Lunge
    Sit Ups
    Crucifix Arm and knee raise
    Vertical Gorilla Swings 2 arm
    Gorilla swings Horizontal
    Vertical Gorilla swing single arm
    BJJ Walkthroughs

Muscular Endurance- 12 reps (50% 1RM)
    Bicep Curl
    Shoulder press
    Chest Press
    Close grip chest press
    Front Delt Riase
    Side Delt Raise
    Hammer Curl
    Squat
    Calve Raises
    Deadlifts
    Upright Row
    Bent over row
    Lunge
    Heavy bag speed punches
    Heavy bag speed kicks

High Intensity Cardio- 30 reps
    Skipping
    High knee's
    Heel to Arse
  7. tapoo

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 2:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i suggest you that body weight should be more effective than weight lifting.if u have ideal body weight than u can do better weight lifting.and if u have heavy weight than u cant give better performance.

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 9:15am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tapoo View Post
    i suggest you that body weight should be more effective than weight lifting.if u have ideal body weight than u can do better weight lifting.and if u have heavy weight than u cant give better performance.
    Evn if ur spelling and grammer were reasanable ud still be wrong. Plz tell me englush is not ur 1st language.

That said, there's nothing WRONG with body weight exercises. The simple fact that you need no equipment except for structures/scenery that'll support your body weight in some cases makes up for the lack of flexibility in terms of weight lifted.

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 3:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It mostly depends on what your actual goal is. If you are wanting to win a powelifting competition, then bodyweight exercises are not going to help. If you are wanting to win a pull up competition then weight lifting is not the best training method.

In order to have better functional strength, you need to do functional exercises. You can get bigger using bodeweight exercises. You just need to raise the intensity level of the exercises. Chinups -> Pullups -> One arm pullups -> Muscle ups -> One arm Muscle ups. No need for weights for that. Pushups -> One arm pushups -> Elevated pusshups -> Elevated one arm pushups -> Plyometric pushups -> Hand stand pushups. Squats -> Jumping squats -> Pistol squats -> Jumping Pistol squats -> Squats jumping onto and off park bench...

There is a lot out there before you really need to lift a weight. Unless your goal is to reach your bench press one-rep-max.

Also, compound movements with bodyweight exercises encorperate the core, so you don't ahve to focus on it in isolation. But if you want to, leave your legs strait out while performing all pull ups and hold the pushup position in the up position.

I personally think that weight lifting is a henderance to most people, but that is my own opinion. Based on years spent in the gym. Rarely do people work out with the intensity that they should. They do a set of bench press then stand up, walk to get water, look in the mirror for a little while, stretch the pecs a little, then do 10 more reps on the bench and repeat.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 3:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    But if you want to, leave your legs strait out while performing all pull ups and hold the pushup position in the up position.
    How long do you reccomend holding for?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast