Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2012 1:32am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The other thing that gets me is the Rep ranges, it looks like they just pull them out of their arse..

50 reps Press
    40 reps Squat
    30 reps Kettle bell swing
    20 reps kipping pull ups

What is it I am achieving here, strength gains? Mass gains? or am I just burning calories for the sake of it?

The other thing that made me think was the fact that they go by WOD's (Work out of the days) which appear to be random workouts put together, the issue I have with this is these do not appear to be balanced, so for example 3 days in a row you might be doing exercises that are all predominately hitting lower body muscle groups, apart from the unbalance in any gains you make you will also be exhausting that body part, basically what I am saying is that by using this WOD philosophy it feels like you are neglecting any long term plan to achieve optimum balanced results.

Posted On:
    5/07/2012 9:30am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't you go ask on the CrossFit forum? I would think that they would have a reply from their angle.

Posted On:
    5/07/2012 9:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...F_Template.pdf

Keep in mind that Im not a CrossFitter..I have just stolen a handful of their workouts and done them on occasion. But from what I've read on the net they do have a "reason" for what they do. If that is a good reason or not is up for debate I guess.

This was the core of the CrossFit philosophy back when I first took a look at them:

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ-trial.pdf

What is interesting/odd is how different the workouts have become between say 2005 and today. Many of what looked to be the "core" exercises have changed. I don't know why that is..I stopped following it around 2010.
    Last edited by tgace; 5/07/2012 9:44am at .

Posted On:
    5/07/2012 9:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    more hot chicks
    This! And that's enough for me.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    5/07/2012 9:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me the biggest turn-off of CrossFit is the friggin COST! $100 + a month is way too expensive for a workout IMO. Even with the "well you pay for personal coaching and professional instruction" excuse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2012 10:03am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...F_Template.pdf

Keep in mind that Im not a CrossFitter..I have just stolen a handful of their workouts and done them on occasion. But from what I've read on the net they do have a "reason" for what they do. If that is a good reason or not is up for debate I guess.

This was the core of the CrossFit philosophy back when I first took a look at them:

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ-trial.pdf

What is interesting/odd is how different the workouts have become between say 2005 and today. Many of what looked to be the "core" exercises have changed. I don't know why that is..I stopped following it around 2010.

Thanks for this, I'll have a read.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2012 1:19pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMMA View Post
    CrossFit -
    Day 1 - A,B,C,D
    Day 2 - A,B,C,D
    Day 3- A,B,C,D
    Day 4- A,B,C,D

Where A-D stand for different components such as Compound Lifts, HIT Cardio, Core exercises, Sprints etc...What benefits does the cross fit model hold over the alternative?
    You made the crossfit model too regular. In reality you might have something like:

A
    B,C
    A,D
    C,B
    B,B,B
    C
    A
    A,B,C
    A,F (just to throw some oddball thing in)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2012 1:22pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    The workouts changed a lot when Tony Budding and Dave Castro took over main page programming - I don't know the time frame though. They are a lot more metcon focused than they used to be (imo).

Posted On:
    5/07/2012 1:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can say that no other workout gives you the same "feeling" as getting in a foot chase, jumping fences in gear and vest and wrestling with a BG after catching him as a CF workout can....

Posted On:
    5/07/2012 1:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j-squared View Post
    The workouts changed a lot when Tony Budding and Dave Castro took over main page programming - I don't know the time frame though. They are a lot more metcon focused than they used to be (imo).
    I havent checked the main CF page in a while, but it seemed like "named workouts" and things like overhead squats, hand-stand pushups and parallete training was almost "de rigueur". It seems like you don't see much of them at all anymore.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast