Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2012 9:34am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How is CrossFit different from Circuit Training?

I have done a few crossfit sessions lately and I must admit they are killer, but when I think about it I have done similar workouts back home, and in essence they are just circuits...

Am I missing something here?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2012 10:07am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say crossfit contains a fair amount of circuit training, but as a subset to the whole collection of their random WOD (workout of the day).

A WOD might also be a run, or maybe a maximal lift. Some of their workouts where you do a set number of reps for time may be closer to a sprint than traditional circuits (though containing elements of both).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2012 10:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j-squared View Post
    I would say crossfit contains a fair amount of circuit training, but as a subset to the whole collection of their random WOD (workout of the day).

A WOD might also be a run, or maybe a maximal lift. Some of their workouts where you do a set number of reps for time may be closer to a sprint than traditional circuits (though containing elements of both).
    I must admit I done a few classes and am really enjoying it, and I started to get carried away with the Cross Fit fan club, but then I start to think exactly what cross fit is, and basically it is a circuit where the the end goal is often varied i.e. AMRAP, prescribed number of sets/reps and these circuits have a variance of Cardiovascular, powerlifts and bodyweight exercises, and I have pretty much done this before, its nothing new.

What I would say is that being in a class definitely pushes you more and and there is a competitiveness in a class, but by know means is this revolutionary, I would describe it as an exercise programme based on achieving functional strength and fitness through the use of varied workout goals.

In fact, I am thinking of putting my own one together to do for the next week.

Posted On:
    4/25/2012 10:34am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that the culture of competition that Crossfit inspires, along with the varying WOD's make it different.

Now if you were the kind of person that has a large amount of equipment and space, not to mention motivation, then I can see why it'd be unnecessary, but I can say that for myself its been nothing but a positive experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2012 12:14pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crossfit has done community really well. That culture of competitiveness drives a lot of people, and has benefited many. But it is also a double edged sword.

In martial arts classes, when you get those people that are "too competitive" often something bad happens; maybe injuries go up, or trying and perfecting new techniques goes down, because you don't try and perfect during competitive environments.

Crossfit is no different, competitive is good. Too much leads to poor form on lifts and higher likelihood of injuring yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2012 9:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read this on Crossfit.com and I have to call Bullshit here....atleast until I see some evidence.

1.5. Will I/can I get big doing CrossFit?
    If you train the WODs hard, and eat right and get lots of sleep, you will definitely gain lean mass, lose fat, and yes, you can build muscle mass with the crossfit protocol. More specifically, according to Coach,
    Here is a hierarchy of training for mass from greater to lesser efficacy:
    1. Bodybuilding on steroids
    2. CrossFitting on steroids
    3. CrossFitting without steroids
    4. Bodybuilding without steroids
    The bodybuilding model is designed around, requires, steroids for significant hypertrophy.
    The neuroendocrine response of bodybuilding protocols is so blunted that without "exogenous hormonal therapy" little happens.
    The CrossFit protocol is designed to elicit a substantial neuroendocrine whollop and hence packs an anabolic punch that puts on impressive amounts of muscle though that is not our concern. Strength is.
    Natural bodybuilders (the natural ones that are not on steroids) never approach the mass that our ahtletes do. They don't come close.
    Those athletes who train for function end up with better form than those who value form over function. This is one of the beautiful ironies of training.

Posted On:
    5/06/2012 9:36am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMMA View Post
    I read this on Crossfit.com and I have to call Bullshit here....atleast until I see some evidence.
    Evidence of one more difference -circuit training is not a cult.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2012 10:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CrossFit -
    Day 1 - A,B,C,D
    Day 2 - A,B,C,D
    Day 3- A,B,C,D
    Day 4- A,B,C,D

Alternative
    Day 1 - A,A,A,A
    Day 2 - B,B,B,B
    Day 3 - C,C,C,C
    Day 4 - D,D,D,D

Where A-D stand for different components such as Compound Lifts, HIT Cardio, Core exercises, Sprints etc...What benefits does the cross fit model hold over the alternative?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2012 1:40pm

Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i am not sold on some of the stuff CFers have sent me on social media. I'm totally stoked people are getting in shape, but i don't see how training when you are completely exhausted (esp doing the more advanced lifts etc.) is effective. that and the constant paleo bombardment. again, glad people are thinking about what they eat, but some of it is a bit preachy . maybe i am just friends with the wrong crossfitters.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/06/2012 4:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    meh, ive been doing crossfit for years, we just call it circuit training in kickboxing circles. i tried a crossfit class and it was the same stuff just more hot chicks, which is never a bad thing, but its hardly revolutionary.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast