Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 3:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    The Countryside Alliance is the Tory Party. Why be coy?
    They may all vote Tory, but they don't carry that much weight. The CA has basically one issue that it spends almost all of its lobbying efforts on - fox hunting.

Yet a repeal of the hunting act isn't even on the government radar instead its gay marriage and house of lords reform...

Who honestly cares about gay marriage and lords reform apart from stonewall activists and a handful of politics undergrads?

Relations between the party grassroots and the leadership are seemingly non-existent under Cameron.

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 4:20pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alex,

Your observations are on point but your conclusions may not hold up. The us was "finished" in the late seventies, the collapse and decline did not happen. World power politics depends on all players. Don't rule out India and china screwing up worse than US. International public opinion of US is not always the same as opinions voiced privately. Also US can change direction very quickly. Our economic potential has not disappeared, it's still there.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 4:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    From what I can garner obama looks like he has his heart in the right place but the american political system nullifies the power of the president. He is merely a scapegoat- its fairly obvious the power in america is dominated by powerful lobby groups and the almight dollar. The only way someone can get into power is through donations and with no cap, the winner is generally whoever had the biggest backers. which then results in them being that companys bitch.

its too late to unfuck the american political system at this point, and its decline is inevitable, as more and more trading partners start looking at places like china and india. americas economy is tanking, it has no real friends due to decades of starting wars and being team police america, and is run by greedy corporates. its like syndicate with less cool gadgets.
    Obama is a leftist. I despise leftists, which makes it pretty difficult for me to view him as someone whose heart is in the right place.

It's true that our system limits the President's power.

Obama is no scapegoat. He's had to play the game to get what he wants. This means toeing the party line. That's what it takes to be President here.

There are powerful lobby groups, but you have to remember those groups represent people. Voters.

America isn't run by corporations. The corporations are at the mercy of the politicians as much as anyone else. I work for a global juggernaut but we're the government's bitch and the politicians' bitch. Not vice versa.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that our political system is a mess. I don't think it's a self correcting problem either and I doubt it can be fixed by any method that doesn't involve bloodshed. But I think your reasoning is off.

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 4:22pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    This is actually why I continue to support obama. I understand that in the current political system, progress is going to be infinitesimal. Until we get a public who is not so mercurial that we keep alternating red/blue, we're stuck in neutral.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of health care does new zealand have and what would be the political reaction to a reversion to American near totally private insurance?
    Radical change has a nasty habit of never working out well from the French Revolution onward. The difficulty in getting sweeping change from the US system is not a bug, it's a feature. Working as intended. I'm not even sure what "progress" means in this context. When you get large majorities of one party dominating congress and a President of that same party, things tend to go screwy in this country.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 6:33pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Radical change has a nasty habit of never working out well from the French Revolution onward. The difficulty in getting sweeping change from the US system is not a bug, it's a feature. Working as intended. I'm not even sure what "progress" means in this context. When you get large majorities of one party dominating congress and a President of that same party, things tend to go screwy in this country.
    Slow change is fine, but this is grindingly slow change, with too much money flowing into the system
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    4/27/2012 2:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    4/27/2012 3:08am

Style: LOL GUN FU TEEHEEE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Healthcare is not single payer like uk. Very different
    Last edited by donna199; 4/27/2012 3:14am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2012 12:28am

Style: BJJ (blue), Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "What policy that he implemented did you most disagree with?"

If I had to pick one I'd go with the NDAA. I don't know why nobody gives a **** but I always thought our habeus corpus rights were important. I also don't like that it's legal for the government to murder and imprison Americans indefinitely for no reason. But the elimination of these 8-century-old rights are trivial matters today. Let's get back to the important stuff, like how to continue making already wealthy people twice as wealthy by killing brown people.

Posted On:
    5/08/2012 3:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by excludedmiddle View Post
    Let's get back to the important stuff, like how to continue making already wealthy people twice as wealthy by killing brown people.
    Man! You get all the cool projects!

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    5/08/2012 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Nz would never take on americas fucked healthcare system. from everyone ive talked to from there, its total ****. but hey, we are also dirty liberal hippies here so we dont spend much on an army, leaves more for other stuff.
    This is because New Zealand has the luxury of being in a safe and isolated part of the world, and doens't need to spend billions of dollars on protecting it's borders. The United States, conversely, is surrounded by aggressive military powers on all sides: The Canadians, the Mexicans, and the Mer-Men who live beneath the Atlantic Ocean are all just waiting for a slight chink in America's defenses before they launch a full-scale invasion.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast