Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 12:38pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, so I finally found some time to read your concern. From the sounds of it I would have to go with the first gym except for three things:

1. I'm always suspicious when somebody downplays another gyms abilities, like "dropping his hands while throwing a kick in a video or picture." This is actually quite common while practicing kicks in a non sparring situation while trying to teach power. I don't agree with it but it happens.

2. Few students means more attention to you.

3. You need to go with the place you find more enjoyable. If you don't like the atmoshphere it doesn't matter how good the coaches are, you won't learn anything.

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 2:07pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Okay, so I finally found some time to read your concern. From the sounds of it I would have to go with the first gym except for three things:

1. I'm always suspicious when somebody downplays another gyms abilities, like "dropping his hands while throwing a kick in a video or picture." This is actually quite common while practicing kicks in a non sparring situation while trying to teach power. I don't agree with it but it happens.

2. Few students means more attention to you.

3. You need to go with the place you find more enjoyable. If you don't like the atmoshphere it doesn't matter how good the coaches are, you won't learn anything.
    Thank you for taking the time to answer,
    I unsderstand you, I'll check the first gym again and see if I like it. One last question can I go wrong and have bad instruction under someone with experience who sends fighters to compete? If the answer is no or similar then I'm going to lean more to gym 2.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 2:58pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to answer,
    I unsderstand you, I'll check the first gym again and see if I like it. One last question can I go wrong and have bad instruction under someone with experience who sends fighters to compete? If the answer is no or similar then I'm going to lean more to gym 2.
    That's a loaded question. I'd have to say no on the surface but my speculative side is coming out.

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 4:58pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If their first time fighters are winning their first fights or at least going the distance and not getting flogged.

Edit.

If their first time fighters are going into their fights well prepared with some sort of progression in their training.

Sometimes you can get hero super guy who wins everything but the rest of the club flags.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 4/26/2012 5:10pm at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 12:48am

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still cant decide, I'm going again to both gyms to check them out.

I think I'm going to the gym one because of safety, being older, larger and claiming a kinesiology department makes it look better

What questions do you think I should ask the instructor?
    Last edited by RurikGreenwulf; 4/29/2012 1:07am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 4:30am

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would probably tend to go to gym 1. At least to start with. You may need a bit of time to pick up the differences and a large gym "generally" has a better structured progression for learning. So any gaps,or short comings can initially be filled by that gym.

Further down the track?? gym 2 sounds like a good option. A smaller class gives a better instructor student ratio (as you already pointed out) and therefore will be able to more easily improve your game, provided they're a legit gym. But the pool of ppl to train with is smaller.

In the end?? its goin to come down to where you enjoy being the most....Unless you intend to go pro,then who cares if you like them,so long as they get you winning lol, but even then,being happy at training is goin to be important.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12